Best way to cheap track bike

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
I am interested in a reliable and inexpensive track only bike. I think I want a 600 about 2004 or newer with less than 12,000 miles. I only want to spend about $3000 (more or less)on the bike. Then I will sell all the unnecessary street parts and replace them with track fairing and tires. I am only in the novice class and maybe I'll be good enough for intermediate class someday. I just don't want to keep taking my bike apart for track days. Is this a good idea? Does anyone have a better suggestion?

corvettechris

I think the best deal is going with someone's older race bike. It will already be set up with all the things you need for a track bike and less expensive if you buy one with a salvage title (never intend to ride on the street). Early 2000's SV 650s are very cheap or early-mid GSXR, ZX, (or those Honda thingies) are really a tremendous deal.

You'll never switch a street bike over to a really nicely set up track bike for what you can buy one for already set to go. It really adds up. I bought a wrecked bike twice I thought I could save money on over buying a race-prepped bike, and the only thing it got me was more spread out purchases.

There are lots of people selling great track bikes all the time.

The only thing I'd consider here is are you going to do maybe 5+ track days a year? If not, I'd say just keep taking your street bike. If you are doing more than that, look for a track bike.

There are c couple SV650s in the for sale section on this site that are really a steal, and some GSXR 600s for 1500 or so more. Really you can't go wrong there.

Thank you for the advice. Now the only thing I am concerned about is that if I buy a track ready bike I will wonder why the person sold it. I don't want to buy someone else's problem. I don't mind buying a bike just for the track even if I only use it once a year. Because I use my bike to teach classes for the Motorcycl Safety Foundation.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Sometimes they're selling because they want something else. If they're racers, they may be selling because they need a newer bike to qualify for contingency. Sometimes a track or race bike has been better maintained than a street bike.

Agree about buying an already set up one. There are good deals out there, just have to do some research. In addition to this site, check out weraclassifieds.com

Another suggestion is to get one with a stock motor...generally more reliable.

I see several SV650 for sale. They are less expensive than I expected! I am assuming that they are pretty good track bikes and are easy/cheap to repair. Any downsides?

Brian16

The only downside is hurting peoples feelings when you pass them on their 600/1000's. They are great bikes with a ton of aftermarket parts and you can convert parts from GSXR's (rear wheel, forks...ect) down the road if you want. There are guys in "A" running SV's. And it hurts my feelings!

kbro45

Check out the classifieds section of the wera forum. This guy (link below) has listed a 04 gsxr 600 for $3100. I converted the same bike from street to track with similar parts and I am around $4500 deep into it and thats buying a lot of used parts. I just like the idea of building my own bike and knowing that it was put together properly. If I wasn't stubborn I would be all over something like this:

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=324115

corvettechris

I agree, that gsxr is a really good deal from the sound of it. The SV is a great cheap track bike. I don't prefer low rpm torque bikes on the track though, I like high hp at the high end like gsxrs.

LarsDunaway

Rat Boy
Staff member
Control Rider
Buying one set up will be much cheaper, and a lot quicker, than building one. I've done plenty of both. Currently building up my second gen SV, and loving the bike. But it is a LOT of work to properly set up a race bike! The SV is a great trackbike, particularly if you are a novice rider wanting to learn solid fundamentals of track-riding. Many wicked-fast riders started out on an SV, and many still continue to ride them as well.

damiankelly

Buy a track set up SV and learn on it-- best deal and you will learn cornerspeed!
I learned the hard way by dumping a lot of money into setting up a R6 now cannot wait to have the SV already setup and cheap!
Plus you will not go through tires as much and can spend the money on the track time--

physicistkev

Control Rider
Sv or 600. You should be able to get a 2005-6 600 for $3k or less that is in real good condition. I sold my old 06 zx6r for $3200 three years ago. It was a peach.

My one piece of advice, buy stock!!!!!!!

Only mods you should consider would be suspension, which I would immediately take off and have serviced and setup for your weight and preference, ignition PC, BAZAZZ...), body work and a quick shifter. I would avoid any type of motor work or chassis customization.

You want to ride it, not mess with it.

Yes. Now I know what you are talking about. Still learning. It looks like every bike out there has aftermarket clutch and brake levers too. Why is that? What's wrong with stock levers?

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Technically nothing. Aftermarket gives easier adjustability and bling. Easy way to customize without too much strain on the budget

Thank you to everyone that has replied to my questions. All of you have given me great advice and ideas to begin my dedicated track bike search. Now I have a new question. Leathers and boots what kind are you the N2 public using any why? I normally rent mine but now I'm considering the purchase of my own. Pointers please. I will also be posting this on a new thread. So please give me a shout over there. Titled "Best kind of leathers and boots?"

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Not my experience once the pace picks up. It ends up being only marginally better. But in the beginning I thought they would never wear out. So I guess technically if ridden at the same skill level than yes, SV is definitely easier on tires. But at a decent advanced pace, plan on bringing tire money every couple of events

You'll save a ton on tires alone on an SV over a 600 over a season.