Big tracks big bikes

rk97

I ride mostly smaller tracks, or at least tracks with smaller straights. It's rare that I need 6th gear on my 600 (at least at my pace).

On a bigger track, where a liter bike (or a hayabusa or ZX14) can actually stretch its legs, RIDERS BEING EQUAL, how much time do 600's really lose on a long straight?

gkotlin

About 10 seconds at Road America. It's strange this topic came up. I just did the work on it this morning. A 600 loses about 10 or so to a 1000.
An SV loses about 10 or so to a 600.

So if your riding an SV, you can find 20 seconds by upgrading to a 1000. haha

rk97

if i'm being completely honest, I asked because some guy on Ohio-Riders.net claimed he could turn a faster lap on a ZX14 than someone on a 600. Rider with the slower lap time pays for the winner's trackday.

I said, "done. name the track." and wanted to see how badly I may have effed myself if he said "Road America." lol.

the guy with the ZX14 has never done a trackday. I'm betting he'll back out. Isn't the internet great?

sobottka

rk97;136429 wrote: if i'm being completely honest, I asked because some guy on Ohio-Riders.net claimed he could turn a faster lap on a ZX14 than someone on a 600. Rider with the slower lap time pays for the winner's trackday.

I said, "done. name the track." and wanted to see how badly I may have effed myself if he said "Road America." lol.

the guy with the ZX14 has never done a trackday. I'm betting he'll back out. Isn't the internet great?
easy money!

rk97

the ZX14 guy has suddenly vanished. (shocker)

now because we were ZX10 bashing, someone with a ZX10 is making the same offer. Still tempting, but this guy has more track experience.

Although Gingerman is only $120/day or something, so it's not exactly super high stakes :p

Have I mentioned the internet is hilarious? Tons of people trying to prove :epenis:

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
So what's wrong with ZX-10's? I've already got my name on the list for the 2011 model.

Is it going to be like a Superpole deal, or best average lap times?

To make it really interesting, you should do some hot laps, swap bikes, then do more laps. Just to prove that it really isn't about the bike making you faster.

rk97

the argument started with talking about the 2011 ZX10 and how it had better address the 'shatter' issues that the 2010 model exhibits.

I'm not convinced I'm even skilled enough to push the bike to the point where the chatter would be an issue, but WSBK has effectively illustrated that it IS a weakness of the 2010 Kawasaki.

I don't know this guy well enough to trust him on my bike, nor do I know that I'm faster than him. I just thought the ZX14 claim was funny and thought I'd shut the guy up. a ZX10 is a whole different animal.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Good points. If I get fast enough for chassis chatter to become an issue, I'll consider it a huge accomplishment.

Maybe his idea of a lap was from the start line go fast for a 1/4 mile then brake, u-turn, and come back to the pits. haha.

Fastguy

Who would be riding the 600?

Should the guy with the ZX-14 return, I'd like to purchase shares on that bet. :)

Dylan Code

My experience with a ZX10 is that they are a complete handful unless they are totally sorted out suspension-wise. At most tracks I could go faster on a ZX6 than a ZX10.

greeny

chris the reason road A is such a difference isn't because of 1 long strait to pull away from 600s... there's THREE straits that are all longer than almost anywhere else in the MW. that being said, a 600 in the hands of a capable rider can keep up with any dbag on a 1000 without any track experience easily.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
My 2 cents, Chris.

Don't get yourself involved in a debate like that with a tool with a ZX14 that has no track experience. You're a veteran, savvy track rider. You'll eat this guy alive on anything you don't have to pedal.

This guys just Calamari spewing ink out his blow hole.