Bike Setup, Any suggestions, comments, advice?

LoveTheTrack

Okay all, I've made the plunge and bought my first track specific motorcycle, a 2004 GSXR 600. It came with a nice spares package and is in excellent shape, however I have made a list from the trackday store as to what I think it needs to be perfect. I've talked to Brian Blume a little last week, but I realize that schedules conflict and it's probably busy as heck there so I figured I'd post on here and get advice from some seasoned and trackday regulars.

So far my current package is a follows:
2004 GSXR 600
yoyodyne slipper
penske rear
racetech fork kit
2 sets of wheels
full yosh exhaust
woodcraft clipons
braided lines
woodcraft rearsets
fairing stay
2 sets of bodywork (one track, one street)
fuel management module
yoshimura reflashed ecu
bunches of spares for rearsets, clipons, brakes, etc...

My list from the trackday store:
front forklift stand
DID 520 chain (i have 520 sprockets)
woodcraft dual temp warmers
safety wire w/ pliers
the hex tool for removing the axles
GPR dampner
vesrah front pads
Dunlop 211GPA's
woodcraft front brake reservoir mount
stomp grip
Knox Kompact back protector
Brembo 19x18 master cylinder w/ 30mm reservoir

Sorry for being so long winded, but I'd really appreciate any comments you all have. Thanks and I hope to see you at the track this summer.

eE jeremy

I think you're more than fine, if it were me I'd just run the bike as is and replace stuff as you realize you need it. It's an expensive hobby as is, no sense buying a bunch of stuff you may not need.

Tools - Always a good buy, get everything you need to work on the bike.
Gear - Safety gear is another no brainer, get everything you need.
Upgrades - Spend the money on track time and tires for now. If you realize hey, my master cylinder keeps losing pressure, then upgrade to a brembo, or hey my brake pads are getting low or are starting to fade, get pads, maybe some headshake coming out of the corners, get a damper.... Upgrading parts before you really need them is not only expensive, but it doesn't really let you experience WHY you need them or offer you the dramatic AH HA, that totally fixed a problem I was experiencing. Assuming you are a newer rider to the track since this is your first real trackbike, you'll learn more by experiencing that little bit of headshake on corner exits when you start really rippin it up, you'll get a feel for how to keep yoru hands light on the bars instead of just putting a damper on to prevent it. Some probably wont agree with me, but I think it's more important to learn how to listen to your bike first, then work on upgrading it. Hell I still don't have a damper on my bike, but I'm getting to the point where I sure wish I had one. As for tires, if you have the pace to support those tires then go for it, but I think again, you can learn a lot from moving up through the tire ranks, it's cheaper and you learn how to feel what a tire is saying and you'll learn when you are outriding it and ready for an upgrade, you'll also feel a noticeable improvement in grip with a higher end tire at that pace. I have yet to run a DOT race tire. Today's street and trackday tires are damn good.

fitz

eE jeremy;188915 wrote: just run the bike as is and replace stuff as you realize you need it.....
:agree:

You "need" only a bike with good tires and brakes, the rest of the stuff is just fluff, unless that is you plan on racing, these are just track days after all.

If it was me I'd invest in safety gear - track time - then upgrade things that might be holding you back a little, that way you learn more about your bike, and appreciate the upgrades you've made.

fitz

Hambone

eE jeremy;188915 wrote: I think you're more than fine, if it were me I'd just run the bike as is and replace stuff as you realize you need it. It's an expensive hobby as is, no sense buying a bunch of stuff you may not need.

Tools - Always a good buy, get everything you need to work on the bike.
Gear - Safety gear is another no brainer, get everything you need.
Upgrades - Spend the money on track time and tires for now. If you realize hey, my master cylinder keeps losing pressure, then upgrade to a brembo, or hey my brake pads are getting low or are starting to fade, get pads, maybe some headshake coming out of the corners, get a damper.... Upgrading parts before you really need them is not only expensive, but it doesn't really let you experience WHY you need them or offer you the dramatic AH HA, that totally fixed a problem I was experiencing. Assuming you are a newer rider to the track since this is your first real trackbike, you'll learn more by experiencing that little bit of headshake on corner exits when you start really rippin it up, you'll get a feel for how to keep yoru hands light on the bars instead of just putting a damper on to prevent it. Some probably wont agree with me, but I think it's more important to learn how to listen to your bike first, then work on upgrading it. Hell I still don't have a damper on my bike, but I'm getting to the point where I sure wish I had one. As for tires, if you have the pace to support those tires then go for it, but I think again, you can learn a lot from moving up through the tire ranks, it's cheaper and you learn how to feel what a tire is saying and you'll learn when you are outriding it and ready for an upgrade, you'll also feel a noticeable improvement in grip with a higher end tire at that pace. I have yet to run a DOT race tire. Today's street and trackday tires are damn good.

That is some really good advice. That bling adds up fast!

greeny

the only thing that stands out to me as something excessive at this point is the brembo master. the vesrah pads and SS lines are just about as much braking power as you're gonna need for now. i'd suggest spending that money refreshing your suspension assuming that it hasn't been done recently.

also, if you're gonna get the forklift stand, i'd throw in the converter as well.

LoveTheTrack

Yeah, I really like the upgrade as you need to advice. I think I'll go that route with my upgrading and just focus on riding as many trackdays as I can this summer. All told, that list as it sits now is a little north of 2K, which I can do, but after listening to the replies so far, I'm going to go the upgrade as I see fit/need route. Thanks a lot.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Well setup bike, like eE Jermey said get the parts as you need them and spend your money on track time...

LoveTheTrack

Okay so I revised my list and this is what I came up with.

From the trackday store:
Front stand - with pin
DID chain
warmers
safety wire w/pliers
Hex axle tool
vesrah pads
stomp grip
back protector

This is the list from other sources:
Helmet
gloves
clymer manual
rear pads
Bridgestone BT-003 RS tires

Also, does anyone have experience with the BT-003's at all? From what I've read they seem to be a really good tire, comparable to the Q2. That being said, anyone have pressures for them on warmers?

Thanks

BigBird

service the suspension if it hasn't been, and get it setup (springs, sag) for your weight ;)

I would go Q2s or 211GP is I was buying tires

EDIT: btw what group are you in? if you're in :b: or even :i: I heard the Q2s will be more than enough. you can look at the classifieds here or at weraclassifieds.com for some good sales sometimes on the other stuff that you may want.

jfeagin

I have the Q2s and notice a lot of people running them. Great tire. You really don't need warmers right off the bat. I know a lot of people swear by them, but I've seen plenty of A guys run without them. Plus, you'll need a power source at some tracks. Extra $$$.

I'd agree with Jeremy's advice to buy all the tools you'll need. I'm not that familiar with your bike, but if it's like most, the hex axle tool will only work on your front axle. You'll still need a big enough socket for the rear, usually around 32mm in my limited experience. Oh, and six-point sockets are worth the extra they cost over 12-point.

LoveTheTrack

jfeagin;189442 wrote: I have the Q2s and notice a lot of people running them. Great tire. You really don't need warmers right off the bat. I know a lot of people swear by them, but I've seen plenty of A guys run without them. Plus, you'll need a power source at some tracks. Extra $$$.

I'd agree with Jeremy's advice to buy all the tools you'll need. I'm not that familiar with your bike, but if it's like most, the hex axle tool will only work on your front axle. You'll still need a big enough socket for the rear, usually around 32mm in my limited experience. Oh, and six-point sockets are worth the extra they cost over 12-point.
Okay, about the warmer question, how much more difficult is it to heat the tires up when you don't use warmers? I had an sv before I bought the GSXR and ran Michelin Pilots on it and everytime I went onto the track and came back they tore up like crazy. Is there a lot that goes into pre-heating a tire up if you don't use warmers. If I can get away with it and run tires without warmers, I just saved myself about 1K.

LoveTheTrack

EDIT: btw what group are you in? if you're in :b: or even :i: I heard the Q2s will be more than enough. you can look at the classifieds here or at weraclassifieds.com for some good sales sometimes on the other stuff that you may want.
I'll be running B group because I'll be new to every track with the exception of Beaverun

jfeagin

LoveTheTrack;189467 wrote: Okay, about the warmer question, how much more difficult is it to heat the tires up when you don't use warmers? I had an sv before I bought the GSXR and ran Michelin Pilots on it and everytime I went onto the track and came back they tore up like crazy. Is there a lot that goes into pre-heating a tire up if you don't use warmers. If I can get away with it and run tires without warmers, I just saved myself about 1K.
If you don't use warmers, you'll need maybe a lap or so to warm your tires up fully. It takes loading the tire (like accelerating or braking) to generate heat. If you run a street/track tire, at least in my experience, they heat up pretty quickly except on a cold/wet day. I've had Bridgestones, Pirellis, Metzelers and Dunlop and never had bad tearing that wasn't a suspension issue. Not that I'm fast or anything.

Anyway, last September at BeaveRun I was set up next to an A guy (Jim, I think his name was) who ran without warmers. I watched him a few times out and he never had any trouble keeping up with the rest of the group. Can't recall what tires he had, but I do remember that they weren't slicks or those DOT race tires.

You could even try out the new Pirelli slicks that are supposedly designed to NOT need warmers. Might be a better use of the money at B pace.