Bike Shop in Maryland

badm3

Hello,
Looking for a suggestion of a shop in the Annapolis or Baltimore area. I have a street bike that I will be converting to a track bike during the off season. I was trying to avoid having the new parts installed at the dealer so was looking for recommendations.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I can help if you like. I've got nothing but time! What are you planning on doing? I can handle just about anything you have planned except for PCIII or dyno tuning. I can do tires, shocks, forks, rearsets, race plastics, etc. Just let me know what you're looking to do.

I've got room to work on a bike in my garage, you've just got to get it here. I'm just off Route 1 in Hanover. Real close to BWI. Email me if you like at ummkay at comcast dot net.

Billsv/R6

B&E Motorsports Queenstown MD. 410-827-3792 the guy is a ccs expert racer very reasonible and knows his stuff about bikes builds his own race bikes and takes care of at less 20 of us track/race guys and gals. guys name is Bob tell him Bill sent you

sportrider

Here's a post I wrote sometime back recommending A&J Cycle (Terrance):

Some may know that I bought a new race ride and was told that it had been set up for my weight -- 170 lbs. I was psyched. Ohlins shock, Thermosman treated forks with Penske internals, this was going to be sweet. Well, not so sweet. When I recorded baseline suspension measurements the day before it's maiden track day, I was able to get a grand total of 8mm sag in the front forks. So much for the bike being set up for my weight. Fa*k.

Well, to confirm that these forks weren't sprung for me, I cranked out all preload, slapped on a zip tie and rode it at Summit Jefferson. Ooh, not a whole lot of compression. I mean, not a lot at all -- at least NESBA guru's Bobby G and Moon got a good laugh out of it. With other track days just over the horizon, I shot an urgent "I need help" call to Morph. Morph said "call Terrance, that is all" (advice confirmed by a .com post from David (SteelRain)). So first thing Monday morning I called Terrance, a long-time racer and owner of A & J Cycle. In truth, I woke the poor soul up. He'd been racing that weekend at Summit. Sorry about that Terrance. But, he said bring it right in. I did.

The cool thing about Terrance is that he is a racer who wrenches -- a mechanic who walks the walk -- and he's a one-man shop. He's also quite polite -- his military background apparently stuck -- and I had to get used to a lot of "sirs." That was ok by me though, and I returned the courtesy.

Terrance threw a leg over the bike and said, buddy, this bike is sprung for me. Great -- but Terrance's weight isn't exactly 170 lbs. . .. As I needed the bike for VIR that upcoming weekend, I asked him to do what was needed -- he said let me open up the tubes and then I can tell you what you need. Which was cool by me. He did. Turns out the springs were 1.0's, which is just a wee bit strong, well actually completely wrong, for a 170 lbs. rider.

Now here's what I really appreciated -- Terrance gave me options, from low to high price points, explained the pros and cons for each, and let me make the decision. The really cool thing is that even the lowest cost just replace the springs option was quality stuff from Traxxion, and this is the one I went with. Going lowest cost didn't phase Terrance however, he went above and beyond anyway, inspecting the internals, catching and replacing some facked up buffers and pouring in fresh fork oil. Most cool was that when I picked the bike up on Thursday night, on the eve of a race weekend in Ohio, as he's prepping bikes for racers and even Morph :))) late into the night, and I mean late like early morning late -- he took the time to set my bike up for me, which meant fiddle, watch me ride it, and fiddle some more until it was right. Then he double checked the bolts and sent me on my way. Sorry Morph for delaying your trip to Summit Main -- at least traffic was light.

I took the bike to VIR and I'm glad to report that the bike rode like a dream. Solid and stable, everything I'd hoped it would be. When I got home, my wife said "Terrance called -- he wanted to know how you liked the ride." Unless you live in a different world than me, that kind of customer connection is hard to find. Very, very hard to find. So, like David's post about Terrance's shop, my race and street rides have found a new maintenance home. They won't be going anywhere else.

A&J Cycle Performance
7830-A Penn Western Court
Upper Marlboro, Md 20772
301-516-4144

Slow Steve

I hate pushups.
Control Rider
+ 1 for B&E. Bob's is alot like what AJ's sounds like, racer who wrenches. He will work on all types of bikes, and his rates are great!

I stopped in to B&E a long time ago and spoke to Bob. Super nice guy. I was impressed for sure.

I take my bike to a guy closer to me and I have an established relationship with him (John Hovey at Hovey Performance Cycles in Dover, Delaware). Seems like those of us in the Maryland/ Delaware area have more than a few great independent shops to choose from!

BZ

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
MRP is on Ritchie Highway behind that large bowling center about 1.5 miles south of 695. I've bought a couple things from them in the past and they seem to be nice guys. I do most of my own maintenance, so I haven't needed their services yet. I know they run a couple tackdays each year at Summit Main, so they are riders too.

chucke133

Thunderace;30060 wrote: MRP is on Ritchie Highway behind that large bowling center about 1.5 miles south of 695. I've bought a couple things from them in the past and they seem to be nice guys. I do most of my own maintenance, so I haven't needed their services yet. I know they run a couple tackdays each year at Summit Main, so they are riders too.
Muchos grassy-ass Jim! Good to know there's a local shop just a few minutes up the road.

NoBull

MRP is on Roesler Rd. The owner's name is Kenny and is a standup guy. I bought my first trackbike from him.

EngineNoO9

+1 for MRP as well. They did my forks and I'm hoping to get there for some tuning before the season starts. I know several other people that've gone to them and have been quite pleased. It's nice having it local so if I have a problem I can go back to them easily.

ahastings

Control Rider
chucke133;30062 wrote: Muchos grassy-ass Jim! Good to know there's a local shop just a few minutes up the road.
I live in Severn too. Kenny at MRP is a good guy as is Bob from B&E on the easter shore. MRP is also a franchised race tech suspension dealer and can do full suspension service.

sv81

Indoheat;29970 wrote: mrp motorsport in glen burnie. so far so good with their services.

+10 for Kenny at MRP...he helped me a bit back in the day with the racing

sv81

ahastings;34670 wrote: I live in Severn too. Kenny at MRP is a good guy as is Bob from B&E on the easter shore. MRP is also a franchised race tech suspension dealer and can do full suspension service.
and he has a dyno and knows how to use it...

what up ol man???