bike transport ideas to California

rugbydawg13

Looks like my life has taken another interesting turn. My new job is moving me out to northern California soon. I'll be sending my stuff out there in one of those PODS or U-Pack units but I need to get the bikes out there; CBR600F4i and RSV1000R. My trusty old 2.3L Ford Ranger is woefully underpowered but has done fine for lugging one bike and gear to the track. With a 1600lb towing limit and bumper hitch with a 200lb tongue weight limit, is it a good idea to get a light weight open trailer and pull these across the country? Will it handle the hills from Arizona over into California? If not, any ideas? I've looked into selling and upgrading to a better towing vehicle but they're giving me a company car out there, so I don't want a bunch of money tied up in a vehicle I will hardly use. Even if the engine is up for it, do I need to upgrade to a proper trailer hitch with more strength? Another idea would be to send one of the bikes in the pod but I don't feel too safe about that. Choices, choices. I'm just not very experienced in hauling bike trailers so any info is appreciated.

Gorecki

rugbydawg13;241230 wrote: is it a good idea to get a light weight open trailer and pull these across the country? Will it handle the hills from Arizona over into California? If not, any ideas?
Just an FYI, those aren't hills, those are mountains close to the neighborhood of 10,000 feet in places! ;)

You just might want to take into consideration crating and shipping.

Some of the uhaul type trailers are going to eat 1/4 or more of your gross weight. From what you’ve described, you can probably do it, but it’s a long haul and going through the mountains will probably get pretty tough at times. I mean, you may need to stop and let it cool down. Beyond those mountains it’s pretty close flat valley for ~200 miles. I've had a loaded car struggle.

I'm from Oakland and heading back that way sometime in the foreseeable future. :D

rugbydawg13

I knew there would be mountains if I went the northern route but wasn't sure if I went through NM and AZ. That poor truck is going to lose some serious horsepower at altitude. So much to figure out with so little time.

denbsteph

Myself and a buddy can ride them out there for ya, we can do a cannonball run right behind you or in front of you. Seriously, congrats on the promotion!!. Try a different route, I go back to Nebraska every couple of years, now I'm not going to Cali but if killing the Ford is an issue, head thru the Midwest then find your way west. Good luck!!

bmart

Control Rider
Definitely look into shipping. Post them on u-ship as a "set" and negotiate a deal. Or...sell them here and use the shipping $ and sale $ to upgrade when you get out there!

rugbydawg13

Well, if I head through the midwest, then I'll have to go through Colorado and Utah. That might surely kill her. So far, the peak elevation I've seen for I-40 is about 7,000 for Flagstaff. The mountains west aren't nearly as high but are likely steeper grades.

rugbydawg13

bmart;241250 wrote: Definitely look into shipping. Post them on u-ship as a "set" and negotiate a deal. Or...sell them here and use the shipping $ and sale $ to upgrade when you get out there!
I have to drive out there anyway so being able to haul them with me would be the cheapest thing. I could sell the Honda but its been such a great bike and I know shes got tons of trouble free miles still in her.

...Sent from the dark side of the moon

Gorecki

You may be a wee bit south already, but I would shoot for I-80, it's a fairly straight and fast route, it's only tough spot is the california mountain range.

jfeagin

I just sold my open trailer from Lowe's. The 5x8s they sell weigh in at 350 lbs. With that, I've hauled two bikes with my Honda Element, which is a 4-cylinder around 1.4 liters and a 1500 lb limit, through some very steep hilly areas. GVWR for the trailer and bikes was right about 1300 lbs plus other stuff in the vehicle. No problems at all. Not the same length of grades as out west, of course. In any case, expect to buy a lot of gas.

It's been 18 years since I was out that way, but all the interstates I drove reduced grade steepness in favor of length. I also remember quite a number of pull-outs (as well as emergency brake runs ;) ) where you could stop if your engine needed to cool down. You will probably be OK if you're willing to take your time crossing the passes, but I'd consider upgrading to a better hitch. Got my class III installed by U-Haul for about $300.

And put those bikes on a diet! :)

Meat

rugbydawg13;241243 wrote: I knew there would be mountains if I went the northern route but wasn't sure if I went through NM and AZ. That poor truck is going to lose some serious horsepower at altitude. So much to figure out with so little time.
Going I-10 is flat and very boring. When I would drive between Fort Worth and LA, I liked the I-40 route better for the scenery, they were just rolling hills west of Texas, not like I-40 near Ashville, NC.

Meat

I used a bike transport company when shipping my BMW from LA to Fort Worth. They did just over $5000 damage. Not sure what their overall track record is, but for my they have a 100% damage rate. Sorry that I don't remember the name of the transport company but it was all over the internet when I looked into it before.

twin ty

Rugby,

Do yourself a favor and send them via forward air. You will have to make overnight stops and 2 bikes in an open trailer in some unfamiliar places may be sketchy. I did the Chicago to southern Cali move a few years ago. Wont do it again if I can help it. Congrats and when you get here trackdays run year round.:cool:

Ty

rugbydawg13

Good point. I hadn't considered that. I may let fate decide a bit and put all but the track bike up for sale and then not have to worry about a trailer. I can just take the money I saved on a trailer or shipping to just get something new out there. I've been considering upgrading from my F4i to a Tuono anyway. Anyone in the market for a 2002 F4i with all sorts of upgrades? She's got some miles on her but solid as can be. I'm going to be selling the 2000 SV650 too, also upgraded in everything but front suspension.

bmart

Control Rider
Post ads here, on NCS, and crack's list. They'll go, and you'll be happy to make some changes on the "other" coast.

rugbydawg13

I will for sure. But not crackslist. I hate selling stuff there. Weird people and no-shows and I don't have the time to deal with either.

bighammer

OK, maybe a stupid question, but could it just go in the pod?

Another stupid question: Why not put it IN the truck rather than on a trailer behind it?

rugbydawg13

It could but their rules say no combustion engines. I doubt they check but if something happened, my warranty would be void.

Add for the truck, I can load one in their no problem. No so sure about two.

...Sent from the dark side of the moon

cyclox

One issue you should consider is if you want to register/title your truck in CA. If you do, you should double-check whether your truck meets CA emissions requirements. If not, I think you have to pay an additional annual fee for the vehicle. Since the company is giving you a car out there, you might consider selling your truck before the move and then ship your bikes to CA.

Gorecki

^^^ Probability is it won't pass CA inspection for emissions unless it's 50-State Emissions certified which basically means you have to pay to have it fixerated to pass, often a few hundred bux. Not a terrible idea to leave it behind if possible. This stuff applies to street bikes too! Track bikes, they have noise ordinances (laguna is the biggest prick about it) so people often use exhaust plugs. :rolleyes: