Bikes Out the Door with Race Plastics?

Pseudolus

I was just reading another thread about a guy crashing on his RSV4 and his stock fairings being in pieces. I've also struggled a lot with the idea of putting race plastics on because I want the motorcycle to still have its bad ass look to it but I definitely want all of the protection I can get for the machine's internals. So I'm getting closer to getting race plastics and then having them painted in the Motorrad colors.

But all of this work has me thinking, why aren't these bikes, that are clearly legalized race bikes, not coming off the showroom floor with race plastics already on them? And why is it that the race plastics hold up better in a crash, but are less expensive to repair/replace? You would think if the stock fairings are more expensive, they would be more durable?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Can't answer all of that, but the stock plastics are some sort of plastic, don't remember the name of it. Race bodywork is fiberglass, which is lighter, more flexible, and easier to repair.

Not sure why stock bodywork isn't made from fiberglass. Interesting question.

Joe Vital

It is always a question of cost.
The plastic body work is cheaper to produce on a large scale is what I would guess.
As for the question of why they don't produce a track ready bike; ask yourself how many they would actually sell? We are a very small minority of users for the so called true intent of the bikes we ride.
If you don't believe me try to sell a race prepped bike without being asked: "Can it be turned back into a street bike?" Or even just ask yourself is your bike a track only bike? Your concern over your street plastics tells me it isn't.

The only way to keep your street plastics pristine is to remove them and either sell them or store them away.

Joe

crewnutz

you can buy a KTM RC8R track ready with race plastics

they are the only manufacturer that offers such an option to my knowledge

Pseudolus

HondaGalToo;250536 wrote: the stock plastics are some sort of plastic, don't remember the name of it. Race bodywork is fiberglass, which is lighter, more flexible, and easier to repair.

Thanks HondaGal!

Joe Vital;250546 wrote: As for the question of why they don't produce a track ready bike; ask yourself how many they would actually sell? We are a very small minority of users for the so called true intent of the bikes we ride.
If you don't believe me try to sell a race prepped bike without being asked: "Can it be turned back into a street bike?" Or even just ask yourself is your bike a track only bike? Your concern over your street plastics tells me it isn't.
Thanks Joe. But in the perfect world I'm envisioning :rolleyes:, race plastics and street plastics would be one in the same. Surely street riders would also like fairings that hold up better in the event of a crash, and are cheaper to repair, as long as the look is identical?

crewnutz;250547 wrote:
you can buy a KTM RC8R track ready with race plastics

they are the only manufacturer that offers such an option to my knowledge
Thank you crewnutz. I looked at the RC8 before getting the s1000 but it was lacking some safety feature that I wanted. Maybe ABS? But I love the concept of a mostly track ready bike that's street legal. It seems like a no brainer that the race plastics should just be included since they offer more protection and repair easier. But I must be missing something.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Sharkskinz used to make street uppers that had the cut out for the headlight/tail lights, but fiberglass just like their race version. Maybe see if they still do that? Then you could just leave those on for both track and street, and put away the OEM bodywork.

Pseudolus

HondaGalToo;250590 wrote: Sharkskinz used to make street uppers that had the cut out for the headlight/tail lights, but fiberglass just like their race version. Maybe see if they still do that? Then you could just leave those on for both track and street, and put away the OEM bodywork.
Thank you as always HondaGal for the great lead! :)

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Pseudolus;250534 wrote:

But all of this work has me thinking, why aren't these bikes, that are clearly legalized race bikes, not coming off the showroom floor with race plastics already on them? And why is it that the race plastics hold up better in a crash, but are less expensive to repair/replace? You would think if the stock fairings are more expensive, they would be more durable?
You already answered your own question, I believe, without you even acknowledging it.

When you first bought your S1000, did you purchase it only to ride on the track?

When you first bought your S1000, would you have purchased a track only (No street wiring harness, no lights, nada) version of your S1000?

Therein lies your answer. :)

Obviously I don't know the exact ratio, but it's got to be drastic. If I had to guess, I'd say for every bike you see out on the track, there is probably a thousand of them that will never see a paddock. Why produce a motorcycle that has a super small market? The companys would lose their asses on the lack of profits.

Pseudolus

Otto Man;250608 wrote: You already answered your own question, I believe, without you even acknowledging it.

When you first bought your S1000, did you purchase it only to ride on the track?

When you first bought your S1000, would you have purchased a track only (No street wiring harness, no lights, nada) version of your S1000?

Therein lies your answer. :)

Obviously I don't know the exact ratio, but it's got to be drastic. If I had to guess, I'd say for every bike you see out on the track, there is probably a thousand of them that will never see a paddock. Why produce a motorcycle that has a super small market? The companys would lose their asses on the lack of profits.
I completely agree and understand the logic of not having completely track ready bikes in the showroom. My focus is solely on the fairings. From what I can gather, the reasons track riding enthusiasts like race plastics (protection, cheaper to replace) are applicable to all sport bike riders. Unless I'm missing something, I would assume the entire sport bike market would want the added protection with lower repair cost. Again, assuming the look was identical.

pearsonm

Pseudolus;250534 wrote: ..why aren't these bikes, that are clearly legalized race bikes, not coming off the showroom floor with race plastics already on them?
It's my understanding that track days are a relatively new phenomena, as in within the past 10-15 years. Before that if you wanted to ride the track you had to go race. In my area track days were just picking up steam, then the economy crapped (in '08). My point is, where there's a demand there's a product and right now there's not much demand for trackdays or sportbikes.

I'm hardly an authority but I'm guessing layering fiberglass is more labor-intensive - and costly - than injecting molten plastic into a mold. At the very least KTM has done a cost/benefit study and determined $20k to be the magic profit number. I may be way off but I believe years ago you could by a race-ready, two-stroke, 250 cc Yamaha for about $20k.

Anyway, I'm with you - the street-to-track conversion process sucks. This sport is expensive and time-consuming enough as it is.

JRA

I think Joe's right that the ABS plastic used in stock bodywork is cheaper to make. I'm just guessing but I'd say injection molded vs. much hand work with fiberglass.

I saw something mentioned about additional protection. Race bodywork offers no additional protection for your bike. It's just more flexible, and easier and less costly to repair.

BlueMax

HondaGalToo;250590 wrote: Sharkskinz used to make street uppers that had the cut out for the headlight/tail lights, but fiberglass just like their race version. Maybe see if they still do that? Then you could just leave those on for both track and street, and put away the OEM bodywork.
That what I have for my 06 GSXR750. Bought them in 07 so your results maybe different. Couldn't be happier with Sharkskiz product.

Pseudolus

pearsonm;250614 wrote: My point is, where there's a demand there's a product and right now there's not much demand for trackdays or sportbikes.

Anyway, I'm with you - the street-to-track conversion process sucks. This sport is expensive and time-consuming enough as it is.
All great points and thanks for the perspective. I think I've been under the impression that business is booming since I live in a motorcycle town (Harley, BMW, Ducati, yamaha/Honda/Suzuki stores).

JRA;250616 wrote: I think Joe's right that the ABS plastic used in stock bodywork is cheaper to make. I'm just guessing but I'd say injection molded vs. much hand work with fiberglass.

I saw something mentioned about additional protection. Race bodywork offers no additional protection for your bike. It's just more flexible, and easier and less costly to repair.
Thanks for the info! I was thinking the race bodywork offered much more protection so that's good to know.

BlueMax;250629 wrote:
That what I have for my 06 GSXR750. Bought them in 07 so your results maybe different. Couldn't be happier with Sharkskiz product.
I will definitely check them out and thank you!

hooligan998

Pseudolus;250584 wrote: Thanks Joe. But in the perfect world I'm envisioning :rolleyes:, race plastics and street plastics would be one in the same. Surely street riders would also like fairings that hold up better in the event of a crash, and are cheaper to repair, as long as the look is identical?
Alot of race body companies like Armour Bodies and Sharkskinz (or some others) sell race bodywork in OEM form, meaning that you can mount your lights, mirrors and turn signals. It is made of the same stuff as the pure track bodywork is made from. Maybe that is the solution you are looking for.

pearsonm;250614 wrote: It's my understanding that track days are a relatively new phenomena, as in within the past 10-15 years. Before that if you wanted to ride the track you had to go race. In my area track days were just picking up steam, then the economy crapped (in '08). My point is, where there's a demand there's a product and right now there's not much demand for trackdays or sportbikes.

I'm hardly an authority but I'm guessing layering fiberglass is more labor-intensive - and costly - than injecting molten plastic into a mold. At the very least KTM has done a cost/benefit study and determined $20k to be the magic profit number. I may be way off but I believe years ago you could by a race-ready, two-stroke, 250 cc Yamaha for about $20k.

Thats about right on the price of a TZ250. A TZ or RS 125 started around $12,000. But the one thing that Honda and Yamaha both did was you received a pretty big spares package with your purchase to run a whole race season if not a little more.

BZ

Pseudolus;250534 wrote: I was just reading another thread about a guy crashing on his RSV4 and his stock fairings being in pieces. I've also struggled a lot with the idea of putting race plastics on because I want the motorcycle to still have its bad ass look to it but I definitely want all of the protection I can get for the machine's internals. So I'm getting closer to getting race plastics and then having them painted in the Motorrad colors.

My guess...they don't come with race plastics because most street riders want to look the part, not be the part if you catch my meaning :cool:

BZ

Pseudolus

hooligan998;250642 wrote: Alot of race body companies like Armour Bodies and Sharkskinz (or some others) sell race bodywork in OEM form, meaning that you can mount your lights, mirrors and turn signals. It is made of the same stuff as the pure track bodywork is made from. Maybe that is the solution you are looking for.
Great to know and thank you! I'm hoping I can find some gently used items like that, that are already painted!

Bubba Zanetti;250646 wrote:
My guess...they don't come with race plastics because most street riders want to look the part, not be the part if you catch my meaning :cool:

BZ
LMAO!

Ghost Cracker

Pseudolus;250604 wrote: Thank you as always HondaGal for the great lead! :)
airtech still does make a race plastic with the street legal requirements cutout for headlights, and i believe tail lights