Bleeder recommendations

RADAR Magnet

I'm interested in getting a bleeder and looked at the Mity vac but there are a bunch of different versions. Anyone have a recommendation for one that works best for bikes? Thanks.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Don't bother with a Mighty Vac or any other bleeder mechanism. Buy yourself a Speed Bleeder for each caliper and your done. At $7 a piece, they are completely worth it. I have a Mighty Vac that I have in my trailer, but it hasn't seen daylight in 4-5 years. All you need is a hose and a water bottle to bleed your brakes. Just so you know, they have a little spring inside with a ball bearing that allows you pump the fluid out without air getting back in. They look almost identical to your OEM bleed screws.

Best $7 purchase bar none I have made for a motorcycle.

speed-bleaders.jpg

bjwallen

I bought a Mityvac Silverline Elite Hand Vacuum / Pressure Pump a few years ago. I use it several times a year to change the clutch/brake fluid in my several bikes.

It works well and makes bleeding brakes a one-man job. The in-line reservoir keeps the job nice and tidy too.

Your hand will get tired squeezing the lever. It is a hand pump after all.

avizpls

#11-A
Thunderace;277546 wrote: Don't bother with a Mighty Vac or any other bleeder mechanism. Buy yourself a Speed Bleeder for each caliper and your done.
Actually, I couldnt agree more. The tools are very useful for setting up a dry system, but for easy bleeds and fluid flushes, this cant be beat. I have the same on my track bike and come to think of it, I dont use any vacuum bleeder on it ever. Crack em open, pump til your heart's content, and tighten them back up.

RADAR Magnet

I guess I'm a little wary of speed bleeders after reading threads about air getting in through the threads and having to apply tape or grease to prevent. I can do that but was thinking something like a mity vac would be a better solution. Not so?

bboynicku

RADAR Magnet;277570 wrote: I guess I'm a little wary of speed bleeders after reading threads about air getting in through the threads and having to apply tape or grease to prevent. I can do that but was thinking something like a mity vac would be a better solution. Not so?
I've had the speed bleeders on my front calipers and the rear for about a year now, no issues. When the brake system is not dry i use the mity vac but everyother time it's just the tube and bag that i linked up. Takes a whole of about 5min to completely bleed the brakes to where it's perfect. Speed bleeders definitely the way to go

bboynicku

Thunderace;277546 wrote: Buy yourself a Speed Bleeder for each caliper and your done. At $7 a piece, they are completely worth it. I have a Mighty Vac that I have in my trailer, but it hasn't seen daylight in 4-5 years. All you need is a hose and a water bottle to bleed your brakes. Just so you know, they have a little spring inside with a ball bearing that allows you pump the fluid out without air getting back in. They look almost identical to your OEM bleed screws.

Best $7 purchase bar none I have made for a motorcycle.

speed-bleaders.jpg
:agree:

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
RADAR Magnet;277570 wrote: I guess I'm a little wary of speed bleeders after reading threads about air getting in through the threads and having to apply tape or grease to prevent. I can do that but was thinking something like a mity vac would be a better solution. Not so?
No worries at all using them. I've had them on my bike since 2008 and I have never had a brake issue because of them. The key is to just barely loosen them when bleeding. I normally apply pressure to the lever as I loosen the bleeder until I feel it start to flow. Pump the brake until I've run a couple reservoirs through the line, then tighten it back up. My lever is extremely solid when done.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
MityVac is useful if trying to get fluid flowing through dry lines, that's about all it's good for. Even so, you then need to follow up with a "traditional" bleed. The Speedbleeders make the job easier. I've used them for years with no issues. I've heard that air can get thru the threads. The threads have some sort of coating. If that does become a problem, they sell the stuff so you can "repaint" them. I wouldn't use tape or grease.

R1aven

Motion Pro Hydraulic Bleeder

I considered the speed bleeders at one point but opted to go another route. I bought the Motion Pro Hydraulic Brake Bleeder for $18 and haven't ever looked back. I have used it just to flush the fluid and I have used it to fill an empty system after installing SS brake lines. It makes doing brakes a one person job and I am able to use this to help other friends with their brakes and even on my car. It is basically just a check valve. Squeeze your lever and start to crack the bleeder on the caliper until fluid starts to flow, then just keep pumping the lever until your done!

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/71/995/4935/ITEM/Motion-Pro-Hydraulic-Brake-Bleeder.aspx?WT.ac=RichAutoComplete

0000-Motion-Pro-Hydraulic-Brake-Bleeder---.jpg

bboynicku

HondaGalToo;277724 wrote: MityVac is useful if trying to get fluid flowing through dry lines, that's about all it's good for. Even so, you then need to follow up with a "traditional" bleed. The Speedbleeders make the job easier. I've used them for years with no issues. I've heard that air can get thru the threads. The threads have some sort of coating. If that does become a problem, they sell the stuff so you can "repaint" them. I wouldn't use tape or grease.
Thunderace;277703 wrote:
No worries at all using them. I've had them on my bike since 2008 and I have never had a brake issue because of them. The key is to just barely loosen them when bleeding. I normally apply pressure to the lever as I loosen the bleeder until I feel it start to flow. Pump the brake until I've run a couple reservoirs through the line, then tighten it back up. My lever is extremely solid when done.
:agree:

Meat

RADAR Magnet;277570 wrote: I guess I'm a little wary of speed bleeders after reading threads about air getting in through the threads and having to apply tape or grease to prevent.
I'm not saying that people haven't claimed or had problems with air leaking into the braking system. But, it seems like you would see the brake fluid coming out before you would have air going in. The positive pressure in the caliper is much greater than the negative procedure. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I would be extremely skeptical.

some guy #2

It's such a minor leak you can't see air bubbles but the lever will feel soft. If you bleed your brakes often (which you should) the thread sealant wears off. I bought the bottle of goop they sell and repaint all the bleeders at least once a year.

Speed bleeders are one of the first things I buy for my bikes. Great product and make bleeding brakes very very easy.

RADAR Magnet

Ok, you all have convinced me. But I went to pick up a set and saw that some sites require me to specify the size and thread pitch info while others do not. Do I really need to find the thread info (doesn't seem easy) or can I just select Honda and wait for them to arrive?

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I'm a bad salesman, because I don't see the need for aftermarket bleeders. Bleeding brakes on a motorcycle is not a two person job...pinch the rubber line off the reservoir if you're taking off calipers or installing brake lines. Install components. Crack bleeders open, un pitch the rubber line, take cap off m/c. Wait till fluid dribbles out the bleeders. Bleed them a few times, top off m/c, done. You may want to bleed at the m/c before bleeding the calipers.

I tried a set of speed bleeders on my old bike. Never could get them to work properly.

bboynicku

RADAR Magnet;278077 wrote: Ok, you all have convinced me. But I went to pick up a set and saw that some sites require me to specify the size and thread pitch info while others do not. Do I really need to find the thread info (doesn't seem easy) or can I just select Honda and wait for them to arrive?
SB7100S M7 x 1.0 1.19 (30.22)

Got from here http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=5089
I bought mine from STG got the stainless steel ones