Blocked Roads for just Motorcycles?

BonesDT

My girlfriend just got her mc license! (and I could use the practice too.) What's the safest way to do some street riding near White Plains (NYC). I always hear about Catskills, Bear Mountain, & Poughkeepsie. Are there events at these places where they block the roads off from cars (ideal), or there are cars, just not a lot?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I'd stay away from Bear Mountain. Every damn squid in the tristate area goes up there. I don't know of any roads that they block off and don't allow cars on. I'd head towards the Catskills perhaps. Backroads, get out and away from traffic.

mx3TT

we run bear mountain a lot but we go a lot slower now. there are TONS of people up there that come from all over and think its a race track. there are a lot of roads up there to have fun on though even if you arent going fast. and the scenery is pretty damn good too. and i have never heard of anyone ever blocking off roads just for bikes. it would be nice, but thats not going to happen

beac83

For street riding, I'd try the Sawmill River Parkway or the Bronx River parkway. These are lightly traveled early in the day, especially Sunday. The Hutcheson River Parkway / Meritt Parkway is too busy IMO. I used to ride them a lot when I lived in the Bronx. Just manage your speed well, and they will give you a chance to practice turns and such. Once north of I-287, these roads are even better.

For some light Highway experience, grab I- 684 at Brewster and head north. It used to be pretty light traffic on Sundays, and a good way to get used to highway speeds without all the traffic on other Interstates in the area.

These roads beat I-87, I-95, I-287, and even I-84 and local surface roads for getting some good easy learning in at a reasonable pace (speed limit or a little above) without having to play dodge cage, or getting stopped at every corner by a light.

Hambone

Just ride! Cars are on the streets so you need to either learn how to deal with them or stay on a racetrack.

dj life

If you really are interested in riding the streets around white plains and surrounding areas send me a pm with your # and we will talk. I know a lot of roads around here and can set any type of pace you want.

Chris

PS Sorry Beac83,
But i would stay away from all the highways you just mentioned as a beginner rider. no matter what day or time. Theres way to many aholes driving on them.

dlogo

The parking lot where she can manipulate the controls and keep the bike up and is comfortable starting, stopping and turning.
Find a quiet develpment and have her tool around there until she builds her skills and confidance..
Progress to quiet county roads with a few twists..
Stay well clear of the roads where the squids play, it's a surefire way to scare the hell out of her when some *hole blow by her in a no passing zone..

mattf

Bear Mtn sucks because of traffic and heavy police presence, and Poughkeepsie? There are NO roads in Pok worth riding.......come hook up with me and I'll show you around the Catskills......there are some very nice roads up here that have little traffic, no house, and are a ton of fun......but you HAVE to keep them under your hat because good secrets like that don't last for long.

DB_ZX10r

It's summer time and school is out. Go to your local high school parking lot and there's plenty of room to practice. That's where I took my wife when she first started learning how to ride.