Blue Kawi 636 Crash at NJMP 6/21

Big Sarg

I am the father of the young man who crashed in Friday afternoon's 3rd session. First, I want to thank everyone who helped me get both my bike and my son's bike along with all our gear loaded up. You folks were fantastic. A special thanks to the photographer who stepped up right from the get go and brought my son's bike to me where we were set up so I could start with other tasks.

Praise God my son is fine. He does not have a concussion. His left big toe may have a slight fracture but the x-ray was not conclusive so they asked him to see an ortho on Monday.

I am curious if any one in the B group saw what happened so that me might be able to learn something from it. My son does not remember what happened. Even knowing what turn it happened in would be nice to know.

Again, thank you to everyone who chipped in so that I could get going to the hospital!

Smithereens

Control Rider
N2
I was two bikes back in turn 5 and saw him go down. I think it was captured on video by the rider in front of me. He had already cleared the apex of 5 and my first impression was that it was a high side which is usually caused by too much throttle on exit followed by a throttle chop when the rear starts to break loose.... followed by the rear catching grip while the bike is sideways which then spits the rider off. I think the video will be more conclusive if it exists. Turn 5 catches a lot of riders because it's a left hand turn and we generally have less grip in the left side of our tires at that track .... lots of right hand turns and only a few lefts so we don't get a lot of heat into the left side of our tires.
Glad to hear he's OK and hope he heals quickly..... he jumped right up after he went down.
For what it's worth .... he was carrying a pretty good pace during the session.

Smithereens

Control Rider
N2
The video illustrates a classic high side ...... definitely a lot to learn from it. I'm sure many of us can chime in on what lead to the situation and what could have been done differently. Body position, lean angle and throttle control are major factors.

devildogae

Smithereens;278067 wrote: The video illustrates a classic high side ...... definitely a lot to learn from it. I'm sure many of us can chime in on what lead to the situation and what could have been done differently. Body position, lean angle and throttle control are major factors.
Can you elaborate on that, I would like to learn from this as well.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Big Sarg,
First and foremost I'm glad your Son is ok! I was working with your Son during a couple of sessions... as I provided feedback, I specifically pointed out he was carrying too much lean angle and need to get of the bike more. He was running a great pace and I think the pressure was one to join his Dad in "I" group. Speedy recovery and we hope to see you guys out there again.

CBRtist

So sorry this happened. I came around the turn and saw your son standing so thought other than his bike, all was well. As a parent, you must have been so concerned. I'm grateful he is okay, it was not worse, and especially that you were there. All the best to his recovery.

TProc

Seeing as though his body collapses onto the tank as the slide begins says the bike slowed suddenly as the slide began. He looks to have had the clutch in as he rounded the corner.
Possibly as he realized his entry was wrong and was not gonna apex correctly, panic'd a bit try to correct his line rather than run off, got it pointed back in the right direction,
let the clutch go to get going again and with no engine speed........boom!!

Also, I don't see any change in his right elbow to say he was adding throttle as the slide started.

Rear end slides under power causes a separation of the body and head motion from the bike.......then as you chop the throttle, the tire re-grips, the rider comes back to the bike, compresses the suspension, and springs the rider back away from the bike. Highside

This only my observation......and from my personal experience. After my get off from coasting through a corner, I learned to always upshift after a false neutral into a turn before letting the clutch back out.

Big Sarg

Thank you every one for the well wishes. Yes, as a parent it is a little tough, but he has handled it quite well I think. He had committed to covering a small family business while the owner is on vaca beginning Saturday and through this week and felt well enough to honor that commitment so we are quite thankful.

EddieRo

I am the rider who was behind the gentleman who went down and captured the footage. Am relieved to hear he is doing well. Thought about him the remainder of the day and through to this moment. It wasn't pretty seeing it first hand. We were zipping around to that point.

Again, glad he is ok.

Ed

Smithereens;278057 wrote: I was two bikes back in turn 5 and saw him go down. I think it was captured on video by the rider in front of me. He had already cleared the apex of 5 and my first impression was that it was a high side which is usually caused by too much throttle on exit followed by a throttle chop when the rear starts to break loose.... followed by the rear catching grip while the bike is sideways which then spits the rider off. I think the video will be more conclusive if it exists. Turn 5 catches a lot of riders because it's a left hand turn and we generally have less grip in the left side of our tires at that track .... lots of right hand turns and only a few lefts so we don't get a lot of heat into the left side of our tires.
Glad to hear he's OK and hope he heals quickly..... he jumped right up after he went down.
For what it's worth .... he was carrying a pretty good pace during the session.

Luggageboy

First off: Glad to hear that the rider is ok. Looked like a dangerous landing on the head/neck/shoulder area. I was about 10 seconds behind this crash when it happened. I saw pieces of bike littering the track as we came around the left hander and it looked bad.I don't understand a few things from the video, maybe others who were there or the rider themselves can shed light.

It looks as if the rider went in hot and blew the apex or missed his tip in marker, but then tried to tighten his line to the left side of the track with increasing lean angle. If the rider was steadily rolling on the throttle to exit the turn but increasing the lean angle, would this be the reason for the highside? The exit of that turn puts you on the rumble strips to the far right. Was something going on there that I am not seeing that made him continue to the left? I would think that if the rider went in and missed the apex he would just maintain his lean angle and let the bike run wide to the right and then cross back across the track to the left to prepare for the next right hander.

From my inexperienced eyes and skill it also looks like he is a bit "crossed-up" where his head is near the wind screen but his body and legs and hanging off to the left.