body position - ass TOO far off the seat?

rk97

pics are up from Summit, and I have a body position question/problem.

http://www.photoreflect.com/store/ThumbPage.aspx?e=8143167&g=0SEI00AE06 (page 15, last four photos).

is it just me, or is my ass WAY too far off the seat.

Yank is worlds faster than me, and he's not hanging off nearly as much. My hope is that this was a particularly bad lap for me, but I know I really get my butt off the seat a lot, and my head/shoulders/arms don't always follow.

That's something I've been working on, but is my butt already too far over? the further off my butt is, the more crossed-up i'm going to look and feel, no?

noobinacan

looks fine to me from those pics
I don't see anything I can add...

its all relative and hard to type up..but is your corner speed up ?
sometimes, you can be hanging way off but not carrying enough corner speed and hence not enough lean....make sense ?

Matt

YES your ass is TOO far off!! you need to get your head down, body evenly off the inside of the bike. your back should be parallel to the bike, just shifted off to the inside... Having your ass that far off the bike makes your hips close up. Your hips should point towards the turn.

Here's one from my last trackday.. I'm not perfect, my shoulders should be open more and my hips almost look closed up a bit.
1k-IMG_1678.jpg

rk97

Okay - that's what I was afraid of. It's just so hard to realize what you're doing without seeing the pictures.

And then at speed, it's easy to revert to old habits rather than slowing down and really working on better body position.

eE jeremy

I agree with matt.

Also with out any ass on the seat you're going to be forced to hold yourself up with your arms more, you wont have good "feel" for the bike, and you'll be weighting the bars, all bad things.

rk97

fitz;205353 wrote: This whole time I was on the look out for an orange bike :doh:
mine's still orange. Kubricky's is too, but there's definitely no confusing him and me on the track.

YamaR6

My two cents form a new rider take it with a grain of salt. It looks like your hanging off so far its crossing you up and putting your upper body back over top of the bike which in turn will put unwanted pressure into the bars.

rob92

Control Rider
N2
Chris,

Take a look at the first page of photos. Matt is correct and you'll be more comfortable by lowering your head (and forward). Take a peek at Troy (on the same page, #47). His head is not only off the bike, but he's finishing the turn and "leading" with his head. You'll be more comfortable, have proper alignment with the bike (spine, longitudinal axis), and you'll actually turn better by moving the CG further off the bike.

These little changes mean a lot, especially as you get faster.

fitz

rk97;205356 wrote: mine's still orange. Kubricky's is too, but there's definitely no confusing him and me on the track.
OK now I found you, the page# changes with the resolution of your PC monitor, so my page 15 is actually the LAST page and not the same as yours. :)

sobottka

rk97;205338 wrote: pics are up from Summit, and I have a body position question/problem.

http://www.photoreflect.com/store/ThumbPage.aspx?e=8143167&g=0SEI00AE06 (page 15, last four photos).

is it just me, or is my ass WAY too far off the seat.

Yank is worlds faster than me, and he's not hanging off nearly as much. My hope is that this was a particularly bad lap for me, but I know I really get my butt off the seat a lot, and my head/shoulders/arms don't always follow.

That's something I've been working on, but is my butt already too far over? the further off my butt is, the more crossed-up i'm going to look and feel, no?
i wouldnt be too worried about it. the same advice given to you here (head down, spine parrellel, too crossed up etc.) could also be given to the top 10 experts in ccs mid-west region (brian hall, jason farrel, ric valdez, garrick schniderman, dan ortega, tom girard, dave ebbin, mike garner, ed key- etc) and they're doing fine. i think its more important to be comfortable in your own style.
look at these galleries off the ccs website from bhf, most of the top guys i listed are on here ...are they doing it wrong?
http://www.ccsracing.us/gallery/html/bhmay11.html
http://www.ccsracing.us/gallery/html/bhjuly10.html

Gorecki

Providing NO opinion other than, sure looks like you got a Larry Pegram sort of style thing going on? :)

rk97

sobottka;205379 wrote:
look at these galleries off the ccs website from bhf, most of the top guys i listed are on here ...are they doing it wrong?
apparently :D

I am going to try to make a conscious effort to get my head lower and not move quite so far off the seat. I burn the hell out of my knee pucks, and that's probably part of why.

But the bigger deal is that I think the way i'm currently riding puts a LOT of strain on my inside leg, and causes me to get tired a lot quicker than I should.

I'm a thin guy, and I do a fair amount of running. I shouldn't have been pulling in after 6 laps on Monday... There were a couple of sessions where I managed to stay out on track the full 20 minutes, and (surprise) I turned my fastest laps then.

I'm wondering if trying to be less aggressive actually improved my body position and kept me more rested at the same time.

slowpoke

i would definitely focus on improving this. top riders in the world do it the way it's described by Matt, Rob C, etc. Why? Because they need to run the fastest laps while falling down the least to win championships. I would rather follow what is working for 98% of the world championships than to be the one exception that does it "my own way."

Upper body, head, lower CG, etc are all extremely important IMO; however it is your foundation that looks flawed from these pics. Correcting these items will help you get faster AND be safer.

Two big things I see that you should grab one of the A guys/CRs that subscribe to the "motoGP style" of riding a bike.

1) your foot position is off and not allowing your hips to open
2) way to close to the tank which is making you cross up (this is your bigger problem, but don't underestimate foot position)

compare yourself to Kubricky on the same page who looks more textbook (if you believe in textbook).

Landshark

Control Rider
Chris, relax. My question is are you still trying to judge your corner speed and track position?

I am concerned about the knee puck pressure. Try and avoid creating a tripod. The less puck pressure the more transfer thru the chassis and tires.

I'll be at Beave and we can talk etc...

sobottka

rk97;205384 wrote:

But the bigger deal is that I think the way i'm currently riding puts a LOT of strain on my inside leg, and causes me to get tired a lot quicker than I should.
stand more on the outside peg (controversial, i know) and dont "squat" down so much. try sticking out your knee with no more than 1/2 to 1 full butt cheek off the seat and standing on the outside peg instead of squatting down on the inside peg. try to keep your head somewhat centered over tank, your armpits should not hang over the center of the tank. like this
http://www.roadracingworld.com/enlarge/?section=news&image=7108

sobottka

slowpoke;205390 wrote: I think the better question is: Can you imagine where they'd be if they were doing it right....:notsure:

they would be where they are right now. no one
is fast because they have good body position or look good in pics. there are way too many top pro's and top club guys doing it wrong to say otherwise.