Boots? Your advice please??????

SHADER

Hey all ,

looking for some advice on boot purchase .crash tested advice even
better but any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.was
looking at sidi vertigo,vortice,maybe even those new puma boots.
Expense is not an option with consideration of what the boots
could prevent (broken ankle).comfort would be nice but hey can't
have it all i guess.all input is appreciated,just trying to get some good
gear that will hold up and last .thanks again .

Take care
be safe

p.s. Sizing inputs on different boots ,i wear 10.5 thanks.

Matt H

A lot of good boots out there. On the sizing, Sidi's tend to be pretty narrow. Alpinestars tend to be a bit wider. If I remember correctly from trying boots on, Gaerne's have a low instep height. So make sure whichever brand you end up with, find somewhere to try it on to make sure it fits your foot.

JGardy_781

I've crashed several times in Sidis before, and still wear a pair of the Vertigo Corsas. Note that the soles are thin and wear out fast where you put weight on them on the outside of your peg - the new vortices have replaceable sole inserts to combat this problem. Personal experience - the high-end sidis with the external brace structure tend to hook themselves on heel guards and require a little thought to unhook once they grab hold. Can spook you the first time it happens, because you can't separate your heel from the bike. It doesn't bother me now when it happens, but I can see that it might be seriously distracting to others...

/j

hank

SHADER;61680 wrote:
Expense is not an option with consideration of what the boots
could prevent (broken ankle).
Frey Daytona Evo Security Boot for around $1,000

jimgl3

i absolutely love my tcx evo's can be found for around $275 and they make you feel like troy bayliss! LOL!

no really, they are the most comfortable race boot you will ever put on your foot i believe and several magazine write ups agree

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I've got a pair of lower level Astars and a pair of Vertigos. The Sidis have much better protection, but the sole absolutely sucks compared to the Astars. I have a large foot and can't buy the higher level boots, because they stop their sizes at 13, so my options are limited. I had the Astars since 2004 and they still look good. I'd buy another set of Astars in a heartbeat. The problem with the sole of the Sidi's would probably keep me from buying another set.

jon686

As long as you purchase a good brand, you should be safe. Lots of bike shops where I live seem to be trying to liquidate inventory that has been sitting for a while and I lucked up and got a deal. If you go the internet route, remember that euro sizing doesn't run that consistently between brands, so if i hadn't tried one on I would pass on a deal to make sure I didn't waste money on a boot that didn't fit just right. Proper fit is super important not only for comfort, but for protection. I wear Joe Rockets and am pleased.

jas0336

I personally wear A-stars but I think the Sidi are ok. I tried on the Pumas and thought they felt like complete garbage.

Meat

hank;61705 wrote: Frey Daytona Evo Security Boot for around $1,000
+1 :agree:

I am trying to see if they will fit my calves. Sent off measurement waiting to hear back.

chaun

Astars, Sidi, TCX... all great boots. I wear Sidi and have plenty of crashing experience... They have held up well. Just recently sent my Vertigo's to Sole Performance for new soles, should have them in a day or two.

Note - Protective gear cheaper than medical bills.

Bluenvy

jimgl3;61706 wrote: i absolutely love my tcx evo's can be found for around $275 and they make you feel like troy bayliss! LOL!

no really, they are the most comfortable race boot you will ever put on your foot i believe and several magazine write ups agree

i have the TCX Competizione boots and freaking love them. crash tested them as well and they held up great. would buy again. and this is after i already owned Sidis

Lenny ZX9R

Control Rider
I have 2 sets of Oxtars AKA:tcx evo's. They changed the name. They are very comfortable and held up very well in my crash tests. There are alot of good boots out there so find a pair that fits YOU the best and enjoy!:D

jpaulsen

+1 for Oxtar/TCX. I have 3 pairs (one street, two race/track) and have crash tested one pair twice and still going strong! Best I have ever found comfort wise and great protection!

nrcooled

I'm in love with my Pumas V2s and wouldn't trade them for the world. They are a bit narrow in the ankle so if you have wide ankles I would stay away.

Otherwise they fit like a glove, I can walk in them like sneakers, and also have crash tested them.

I had the now discontinued A* which had the inner-boot then the outter shell. Those were great but my shitty foot positioning killed the toe at NJMP Thunderbolt so I got the Puma V2s.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
nrcooled;61907 wrote:
I had the now discontinued A* which had the inner-boot then the outter shell. Those were great but my shitty foot positioning killed the toe at NJMP Thunderbolt so I got the Puma V2s.
You mean the A* Supertechs? They weren't discontinued, they were upgraded and improved...they're now called the Supertech R. I picked up a pair at the end of the season last year to replace my old, original Supertechs. They made some nice improvements on them. They still have the inner boot. The only change I don't like is that the rubber part for shifting no longer extends all the way to the end of the boot. I tend to shift way out by my toes, so I'm going to have to look into putting something in that area before I wear a hole through them.

But, to the OP, yeah, if money is no object, and they fit well, the Daytona Evo Securities!

rcr14

+1 oxtars/tcs and older agv's altought i have not crashed either. crashed sidi vertabras like 7 times. same pair. they were built very well and none of the sole problems.

smack28752

Sidi Vertigo Corsa - Like everyone says, the soles are soft but that is the only drawback I've found. I had a lowside crash in the V-Corsas and they did their job (no foot/ankle injury) and they held up great. Just some scuffs with no other damage.

The big reason I buy Sidi is because of the way they fit my foot. I have owned 4 pairs of motorcycle boots and countless numbers on their cycling shoes. They have all fit great and the construction is top notch.

They are expensive though and Sidi controls pricing pretty well. I have bought "new old stock" items on eBay to save some $$.