Boston to NJMP avoid toll route??

davidkump

Heading from Boston to NJMP next month and was wondering if there is a way to avoid all those tolls in NJ turnpike? I've been told by lots that there is not way to avoid them, but I did speak to a few NJ locals says there is, any thoughts please?? Last time I went, I spent over $30 each way towing a single axel trailer.

erick1670

davidkump;278708 wrote: Heading from Boston to NJMP next month and was wondering if there is a way to avoid all those tolls in NJ turnpike? I've been told by lots that there is not way to avoid them, but I did speak to a few NJ locals says there is, any thoughts please?? Last time I went, I spent over $30 each way towing a single axel trailer.
is not bad, from Boston to NJMP... I spend more with ez pass, 5 tolls, Throghs Neck Bridge, NJ turpk, on the way there, coming back NJ tunrpk, GW bridge, Throghs Neck Brdige= $75

trying to find the no tolls route is just going to cost you more time and money in the long run with gas....

andykurz

EZ Pass sometimes has trouble charging trailers correctly. I know this is true on the DRPA bridge tolls from PA to NJ, but I am not sure if it is true elsewhere. Maybe, maybe not.

I wrap my EZ Pass in tinfoil (hat!) and pay cash when I tow.

EDIT: I realize that this is only quasi-related to your question - but a heads up nonetheless...

BlueMax

I live right out side Albany NY so I don't know how much this will help you. I will say that my new route is 31 miles shorter and no NJ tolls. Time of travel is about the same.
Here goes:
NY Thruway I-87 south to
I-287 south to
RT 202/206 (Princeton, I think exit 17) to
Rt 1 to
I-295 south to
Rt42/55 Millville, NJ. This route is 271 miles for me. Use to be 300 miles with NJ tolls and god knows what kind of traffic on the NJ TPK. This route may work for you if you pick up the NY Thruway at the I-84/I-87 interchange (Newburgh, NY is 190 miles from NJMP). Only tolls from here would be going from exit 17 to exit 15. If this route adds to many miles, it may be cheaper to pay the man and tolls.

PS. You won't find this route using GPS. I get in a fight with my GPS every time I take this route.