?? Bout trackday setup??

racerx69

Im looking for info on safety wire for my first trackday!!? What else shud I safety wire besides oil fill cap and oil drain bolt, caliper bolts, axle pinch bolts, front axle nut, radiator cap, water pump drain bolt, and oil filter? Also can I use hitch clips thru the bolts and safety wire the clips, and my rear axle nut is a castle nut, do I need to drill it still or just use a hitch clip and wire it?? Im just getting thngs n order and doing early prep so any info and advice is welcome and appreciated, thanx guys and gals!!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
You don't need to safety wire anything for "B" group. By all means, if you have the abilities, it's something that would not hurt to have done regardless of the group you're running in. I use a hitch clip on for my rear axle nut, but it's safety wired to the swing arm for that "just in case" moment.

For your first track day, I'd focus on the bigger topics at hand - making sure chain is clean and adjusted properly, brake pads, tires, etc. Oh, yeah, don't forget the key to the bike also.

:D

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
You've already done a tremendous job of prepping your bike if you drilled and wired all that.

Thank you!

:adore::adore::adore:

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome and great job on bike prep!! Although not required in B or I groups, all riders should be proactive and at least wire the oil drain plug, filter, and filler cap, as betarace suggested. As a general FYI, there are folks who would be more than willing to help out with this at the track, and there are sources for pre-drilled bolts if someone isn't comfortable drilling.

Unless you eventually go racing, you've got plenty of stuff wired, and the important things are done. The only other thing I would suggest is replacing your antifreeze with distilled water + Water Wetter mix during the track season. Be aware that Water Wetter is NOT antifreeze, so it can't stay in during the cold winter temps. The directions on the Water Wetter bottle tell how much to add, I think it's 3-4 capfuls per quart of distilled water.

A pin can be placed through the castle nut, my Suzuki came with an R clip, I replaced it with a safety (spring) clip and ran a piece of safety wire, mostly so I keep track of it when the wheel is off, LOL. For calipers, it's fine to use clips that have been safety wired, for ease of removal: http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=473
These spring clips come in larger sizes, too, it's a large one of these that I have through the castle nut. Here's the assortment Kurveygirl sells:http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=109

How is your gear? Got that sorted as well?

Thank you RacerX!

As a fellow B grouper I always appreciate that a fellow rider took the time to safety wire their bike.

I started doing that on the street bike I had as a "just in case".

BZ

racerx69

VIR, Im just down the rd n Tenn. I was gonna have my first trackday 2 yr ago, but thngs came up, and now here I is lol!! Im getting really jacked about it. My gear is Sidi boots astar suit, gloves, and back protector, shoei helmet. And ive been using water wetter for last 2yrs and draining n winter, thanx for the words Honda Gal and everyone else. Much appreciated, and ur welcome Bubba Zanetti, I like too take my time, b thourough, and picky so that my time at the track is what I expect it to be!! Looking forward to meeting u guys......and gal lol!!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
VIR is an awesome track. I don't get down that way too often! Is your suit one or two piece? If two piece, just make sure the zipper is full circumference. You'll have a blast! Focus on being smooth!