BPF Sag???

JBZ1k

Aug 21, 2011
After months of looking on the net I have yet to find any useful info about what the sag should be on the BPF Showa forks.
Do any of you GSXR/ZXr know what the measurement should be? I'm 150lbs on my 09 zx6r and there is almost no sag to speak of with me on the bike. I am pretty happy with how I have the bike set, but it seems stiff.
Also I can't get the correct measurement out of the rear so I am going to an Ohlins TTX sometime soon and im afraid if the rear softens up much it will not feel balanced any longer. Any advice? Re-spring the front change the rear? Shut up and ride faster? Buy an R6?
Thanks

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
What sag do you have now? Rider's sag? I've not measured static sag, just the rider's sag, which is independent of whatever springs/forks, etc. that are on the bike. IIRC, the front should be around 35-38mm, and the rear around 25-30mm. (That's the sag with you on the bike, and the listed values, in mm, are: Measurement with suspension fully extended - measurement with you on the bike = rider sag).

I'd find a suspension guy that's at the track (usually someone is there, down south it could be Thermosman or CTR. Or Performance Cycleworx. At NJMP we have Markbilt). For around 40 bucks they'll do a basic set up for you. They'll get the sag where it belongs for your weight. They'll set rebound and compression to a good baseline. It makes a big difference. Whether you've got stock suspension or aftermarket, it needs to be set up by someone who knows what they're doing. I'm not good at it, so I get a baseline set by a suspension guy, then see how it feels and how the tires are wearing, and have the suspension guy (or a CR - a lot of them are good with suspension) check it again from there.

Getting the sag set will determine if your springs are too light or too heavy. Then you can decide about upgrades from there.

JBZ1k

Aug 21, 2011
Ok so here is what I have. I was a bit surprised. Front measurement while on the bike 25.4mm rear was more than I thought at 33.34mm so they are both a bit off. I will definitely check with Chuck or someone to get a better idea. It's not bad but I think it could be better. I just thought since the forks are designed different maybe there is a different measurement to go by. Thanks