Brake Pads...All the same?

Troy

I am in need of a new set of pads for my 05' R6 and I went by Cycle Gear in Raleigh yesterday and they recommended Galfer HH pads, and said they would do fine for track day use...$45 a set. Others have told me that the Vesrah RJL's are the best that you can get...$145 a set. Im just not sure what the big differences are?! I have had my stock pads and they seem to work fine and presumably both brands are better than stock right? Thanks guys

HighWay

I just bought a set (2 pair) of the RJLs from Derek for just under 100 bucks. I think the SRJLs are the expensive ones.

shaugdog

RGL's and SRGL's are pricey but work really good. I prefer performance friction, I have found they work just as good, for a much better price

ERB68

Brake pads are almost as subjective as tires and oil. There are a number of good makers and a variety of levels they offer. Some give more progressive "feel" and some more "initial bite".
HH pads tend to have more "bite" but don't last as long.
What do you prefer?

Vesrah, Galfer & SBS all make a good replacement for stock without the big $$.
I have heard good and bad about DP pads.

Bucky Badger

Tried the SBS pads this year...I don't like them nearly as much as the Vesrah pads. I was amazed at how long the Vesrah pads last and don't lose bite or feeling. They may be a little more expensive but this year I had several trackdays, (2) 2 hour endurance races and bunch of sprints on them before I had to replace the pads.

Spend a little extra and get the Vesrah's....you won't be disappointed.

Troy

I think ima go with the RJL's and giv'em a try....this is the first time Ive changed out my pads and Im pretty sure that there is only 2 pads per caliper....is this right or is it 4/per?

nickmick

i would imagine it depends on the bike.

on mine, i have 4 pads per caliper on the front, and two pads on the rear.

i've used galfer HH pads this year, did 7 trackdays from B to I, and they still work great.

Sklossmonster

When you change your brake pads, don't forget to give your brake calipers a thorough cleaning, especially around the pistons where brake dust builds up and ultimately winds up creating drag on your front wheel as the piston stops retracting properly.

I use thin strips of fine emery cloth to reach behind the pistons and give them a little shoe shine action before and after a good blast with brake cleaner.

Be careful not to pop the pistons out of the calipers.

Andrei

Bucky Badger;83763 wrote: Tried the SBS pads this year...I don't like them nearly as much as the Vesrah pads. I was amazed at how long the Vesrah pads last and don't lose bite or feeling. They may be a little more expensive but this year I had several trackdays, (2) 2 hour endurance races and bunch of sprints on them before I had to replace the pads.

Spend a little extra and get the Vesrah's....you won't be disappointed.
Are you using RJL or SRJL ?

rk97

the EBC HH pads are 'good,' but not great... In my experience, they fade, and it gets frustrating.

just when I'm really rolling, and feeling awesome 2/3 of the way into a session, the HH's would feel like they were fading on me. Basically they started to fade right when I wanted/needed them to be the strongest and most consistent.

I'm going Vesrah, or SBS soon.

kd83

I have vesrah on there now and i actually prefer the galfer HH i had on there before, again it comes down to personal preference

rk97

^ totally agree with the personal preference statement. Some people may LIKE the feel that I was experiencing - and who knows, my pads are pretty worn right now and due for replacement. a new set might change my mind on the HH's.

Ruhe52

Vesrah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! email Derek or Moon RJLs the SRJLs are dirty little buggers. Think you'll find the feel you like in the RJLs and get plenty of days out of them. Again it is all about pref., but these pads should be your benchmark not the stockers.

Bucky Badger

Sklossmonster;83809 wrote: When you change your brake pads, don't forget to give your brake calipers a thorough cleaning, especially around the pistons where brake dust builds up and ultimately winds up creating drag on your front wheel as the piston stops retracting properly.

I use thin strips of fine emery cloth to reach behind the pistons and give them a little shoe shine action before and after a good blast with brake cleaner.

Be careful not to pop the pistons out of the calipers.
:agree:

Once upon a time...a long time ago....a CR took the time to show me how to do this when I was having trouble with my F4i brakes at Putnam. This CR even took a session off and showed me how to complete this task because my brakes were locking up on the track.

After we determined that it was not the calipers but was the master cylinder...he borrowed me a master cylinder so my weekend wouldn't be shot. Something I will never forget Marshall....Thanks again for everything you have done to help me become a better rider.:adore:

Troy

vesrah rjl's on the way...what exactly is emery cloth and where would I find it? I def. want to make sure everything is cleaned up properly before i put the new pads on this weekend. Thanks guys for all your input, Im already stoked about the upcoming track season....

Meat

I run the SRJL XX pads as well and love them. I prefer them over the SRJL 17's (I think that is the regualr SRJL's people refer to) I tried first. The XX pads seem to be more linear in feel to me, but that may due to the 17's about making me pee myself due to the initial bite was a bit too much for me.

I thought the pads were intended for endurance racing but I love them for track days. But, I must warn you the XX's are near the cheap price range.

rk97

Troy;84101 wrote: vesrah rjl's on the way...what exactly is emery cloth and where would I find it? I def. want to make sure everything is cleaned up properly before i put the new pads on this weekend. Thanks guys for all your input, Im already stoked about the upcoming track season....
i just used an old tooth-brush...