Brake wear

tdelegram

Control Rider
I personally don’t try to get them to the backing pad, rotors are too much expensive and my safety and those around me is more important. These are the things that make it ok to go 165mph, why take a chance?

bmart

Control Rider
I think that each Rider has to make their own decision personally, I run mine until there's about half a millimeter left but I always have four new pads for the front in my track day kit. They can be put on in just a few minutes. Still, I wouldn't pass someone through Tech once they're past the indicator/groove/slot. And to add a well-known joke, using the brakes only slows you down!

bmart

Control Rider
There are a lot of variables. Some pads wear more quickly than others. Some rotors are more abrasive than others. Riders have various levels of aggression on the brakes (I have none). On the track bike (an old R6) they get replaced like clockwork between 3500 and 4500 miles, which is about every 1.5 years. This is a pic of them when they come out, just starting to get "smooth" but without any loss of friction or stopping power/feel. (I like to get my money's worth!)

Attachments

• 20160729_172620sm.jpg
    20160729_172620sm.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 14

Chriscross19

Ok great pic, I’m not to that point yet but I wasn’t sure how picky tech would be about it, I’ll take an extra set with me though.