Breaking in new tires...no tire warmers

tujabro

Howdy my fellow track riders.

I just put new tires on my track bike (Q3s). My previous tires were ridden on the street. So now with these new tires they will only see the track. How should I break these new tires in? I will be at Road Atlanta on April 15.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Yep..and in the N and I groups the first two sessions are started with the first two laps under yellow flag. So they're good warmup laps for you and the tires. Then, it's game ON!

tujabro

Ok Thanks. My fear is that icy/slick feeling of new tires. I guess on the track by the second lap the residue will be scrubbed off?

mike_21

Control Rider
Ok Thanks. My fear is that icy/slick feeling of new tires. I guess on the track by the second lap the residue will be scrubbed off?

Manufacturing processes have change quite a bit and the mold release compounds that were once used are no longer around. As Big Jim and Darren said, Check your tire pressures and ease into the first couple of warm up laps and you will be good to go. See you on the 15th!

Romans Eight

Control Rider
Director
It's my understanding that residue dissipates quickly each rotation, and at a higher rate with heat. 1-2 warm up laps is good. If you want to be overly cautious, come in after 2 laps to verify you do not have too much air pressure.

IG: @jonathanlandwer

tujabro

It's my understanding that residue dissipates quickly each rotation, and at a higher rate with heat. 1-2 warm up laps is good. If you want to be overly cautious, come in after 2 laps to verify you do not have too much air pressure.

IG: @jonathanlandwer
Interesting. I'll feel how things are going that first session. Jonathan I'll be waiting on you to pass me on the front stretch and show me the racin line into turn 1 lol.

Thanks everyone

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Motofun352

Control Rider
A good place to start with cold tire pressure is about 1 or 2 psi below the recommended hot tire pressure, then confirm and adjust immediately after getting off the track while the tire is still hot. I don't recall the hot pressure recommendation for Q3's.......Buehler....Buehler????

2blueyam

After reading lots of opinions, and there are lots of opinions out there, I am going with 32F / 31R cold aiming for 35 / 34 hot off the track. No personal experience, but after reading lots of posts on lots for forums, that is where I landed for my first time on track on Q3 tires. Some say that is too high. Some say the actual pressure doesn't matter but you should instead aim for a 3 to 4 lb increase from cold to hot.

kappy1000

Control Rider
Director
Huey from Marietta Motorsports is our trackside tire vendor. He carries Dunlop and Pirelli. Talk with him about tire pressures. He will get you set up correctly.

bmart

Control Rider
I jotted down some numbers a few years ago from testing the three rear Q3 sizes. The temps went up 4.5-7.5 degrees F from a cold start to hot on the warmers/off the track.

I run my 190/55 Q3 rear at 35.5 off the warmers and it works perfectly.

2blueyam

I jotted down some numbers a few years ago from testing the three rear Q3 sizes. The temps went up 4.5-7.5 degrees F from a cold start to hot on the warmers/off the track.

I run my 190/55 Q3 rear at 35.5 off the warmers and it works perfectly.

Do you run the warmers on "Hot" or "Warm"? Of course this assumes you have those choices with your warmers. I have heard that the Q3's can overheat if you run the warmers on a "Hot" setting, so I was planning on using the "Warm" setting and taking it a little easy for the first lap.

bmart

Control Rider
H-O-T. I have been running them on the back for years at A/coach pace without issue. Hot seems to be 170-185 on most rear warmers. They've never moved around on my at any track.

meanstrk

Control Rider
We run Q3's on the California Superbike School BMW's and set the pressures to 30/30 cold every morning. those pressure settings work well and we are able to run A group pace on them without issue.

rlong.us

Ron Long
Really, the larger issue is getting heat in them. The slick surface is a non-issue and as other's have mentioned any surface residue will be gone by the end of your Yellow Flag sessions. I've used q3's for years and break in is almost non-existent.

If you have to ask, stick to Tire Vendor or CR pressure recommendations until you get down your own method.

Some write down cold vs. hot temps, as well as ambient temps per track to get baselines. I find these semi-summer months to be the most drastic as you have cool nights, and warm/hot days. So probably will see more variance in tire temps. What's more important is checking those temps as soon as you get back to pit. Adjust your HOT temps to be within guidelines.