Broke down en route to Lightning!......Gutted!

mindlock

Broke down last night en route from Virginia Beach to Lightning, got 60 miles into the journey and the alternator on my van decided to eat its main bearing, the alternator was only 2 months old too!, managed to get the van home, but by the time i got back, the shops were closed, being a sunday evening of course.
Total waste of a day yesterday, I'm hoping Nesba will be accomodating about this and credit me for my misfortune.................................anyone else had this happen to them?

fitz

accodating?

Edit: Sorry about the comment guys, it was just meant as a freindly poke.

mindlock

lol.......lay off fella's!.........................Accomodating, poxy fingers! thanks for bringing that typo to my attention.

hope your enjoying that new zx6r kev!

Dieselboy

Weird my alternator died on my way to T-Bolt on Friday night. No lights and no gauges for 10 miles and limpted into Autozone before it died.

mindlock

betarace;152059 wrote: belts be too tight
that was my first thought, but my van has a tensioner, so i ruled that out. I think it was just cheap bearings used, or a dodgy unit, replaced it this morning, so will see i guess.

mindlock

Dieselboy;152057 wrote: Eird my alternator died on my way to T-Bolt on Friday night. No lights and no gauges for 10 miles and limpted into Autozone before it died.
ha, weird, well my alternator first went bad on the way back from T bolt in July! my battery died as i pulled upto 'Cecils auto shop' on route 13 in the middle of nowhere! luckily he had another battery so i drove the remainding 100 odd miles back to va beach, just on a new battery.

must be some kinda njmp negative alternator karma going on i reckon............wicked facility though, shame i missed Lightning today.

Rydell

I don't know, NESBA's pretty tight on following rules. I'm not sure if it comes down to the regional director or not, I know I had a similar issue and wasn't given any slack. I showed up and second session my bike crapped out and was no longer rideable. Went to talk to the director to try to get some sort of credit, but because I signed up late, I was basically told tough luck. I ended up "trying" to get my monies worth, went out and rode the next session, blew my motor and had a nasty low-side. Anyway, that's besides the point... just don't count on getting a refund.

mindlock

Rydell;152077 wrote: I don't know, NESBA's pretty tight on following rules. I'm not sure if it comes down to the regional director or not, I know I had a similar issue and wasn't given any slack. I showed up and second session my bike crapped out and was no longer rideable. Went to talk to the director to try to get some sort of credit, but because I signed up late, I was basically told tough luck. I ended up "trying" to get my monies worth, went out and rode the next session, blew my motor and had a nasty low-side. Anyway, that's besides the point... just don't count on getting a refund.
yeh spoke to someone on the phone today at nesba HQ, it didn't sound promising though, I'll be dissapointed big time if I'm told to get lost, after all I have paid to be a 'member', surely they should be interested in looking after ' members' if not, then the membership fee is a total waste, and i don't think i could bring myself to sign up with nesba again. But we shalll see eh......................

Lock:

Don't take it personal if NESBA says: "No".

The rules are the rules. Does it suck? Yes!

To have rules then not follow them makes for anarchy.

BZ

BigBird

mindlock;152082 wrote: yeh spoke to someone on the phone today at nesba HQ, it didn't sound promising though, I'll be dissapointed big time if I'm told to get lost, after all I have paid to be a 'member', surely they should be interested in looking after ' members' if not, then the membership fee is a total waste, and i don't think i could bring myself to sign up with nesba again. But we shalll see eh......................
nesba has one of the best refund policies when compared to other orgs, so a) it does suck that your car broke down, b)sorry to hear that, c) NESBA is not obligated to refund anything to you since you paid for a space on the track, and that space was allocated to you and paid for already by NESBA.

Sorry again to hear that :(

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Agree with BigBird, NESBA's refund policy is the best out there. It applies if your bike has a mechanical during the day, but I doubt it applies if your tow vehicle breaks down on the way there. Rydell, I'm sorta surprised yours wasn't covered, maybe the rule is different if you've signed up late? :dunno:

It sucks your van broke down, but from a business standpoint, if they refunded every excuse/problem for no-shows, they'd be out of business pretty quickly. On the flip side, if you show up late, you still have your spot; you've paid for it, it's yours all day. Other orgs have wait lists and if you're late, your spot is given to a stand-by.

Actually, I think it's generous that they give you credit if your bike breaks or you crash. The org I used to ride with didn't. I think some other orgs have instituted a crash policy now, probably because NESBA does.

Geoff Doyer

New Policy - If you don't feel like coming to an event just post on the BBS that your car broke down on the way there and then bitch that you'll never sign up with NESBA again if you don't get a credit. If you do that then you get a credit. Obviously this is a joke.
Now I'm not in any way saying this is what you did but I have to ask you, if you were NESBA, how would you manage this policy? The answer is that it's impossible. That's why you have to pass tech to receive a credit. Should NESBA also get the repair bill for your vehicle? I mean, after all, you were using to attend a NESBA event, right?
Seriously, it sucks that your car broke down and you missed the event. Think about how you would manage a credit system if you were NESBA.

mindlock

i'd manage it with common sense and not speak to customers like dirt.

unreasonble reply, no respect.

you win, end of conversation.

Geoff Doyer

Are you saying that my reply is me treating you like dirt or are you referring to your telephone conversation with Member Services? I was simply trying to explain to you why the crash and mechanical program is the way it is. It is not a mechanical program for your tow vehicle. Not making it to the track is not the fault of NESBA. Being frustrated is understandable but the policy has never been to offer credits for those unable to make it to the track. Regardless, I apologize for not using more tact in my reply.

mindlock

I Guess hoping for a break these days is asking for too much.

ah well, lifes a bitch and then you die.

thanks for everyones input, ride safe.

Rydell

Yeah, HondaGal, financial situation dictated forfeiting the mechanical insurance by signing up late. I signed up I think like 5 days before, and any sooner than a week you forfeit the mechanical insurance. I know the rules are there for a reason, that's why I didn't say a thing when I got the response from the Director. I just figured one of the reasons a Director is put in place was to act on the behalf of NESBA to bend the rules a little when needed; given the situation and when common sense dictates. I wasn't there to bs NESBA out of their money, I didn't ask for anything, just seeing what could be done to help.... and unfortunately there was nothing he could do. I was there for 2 1/2 sessions, the Director knew me from previous events, and I had a legit problem which, actually, ended up costing me a new motor and an $800 suit. However, it was my choice to go back out there and try to get my monies worth knowing good and well what could happen. Personally, even though I got a speeding ticket on the way home, all in all, I was just happy to get some seat time in that day.

Anyway my point is, and with no discredit to NESBA, even if NESBA has the best refund policies out there, I just wouldn't expect any rules to bend no matter what your situation is.