Broken helmet? Sell it on Ebay

finny47

I high sided this year and landed on my head, popping my Shoei X-11 helmet. Last week, I was about to throw it away and had the crazy idea of putting it on Ebay. I was completely upfront and included pics of the damage.

Made $76.00 on a busted helmet.

Ebay Item - 140279249346

Katie785

Did you have it x-rayed to see if it was still good?

Do you care that someone who doesnt know any better could get seriously hurt if it doesnt hold up in a crash?

finny47

Yes I do.
That is why I put in the auction all the information about the damage and how a helmet is only good for one impact.

sheepofblue

I would have cut the strap or donated it to a local fire department for practice (as I have with old helmets at the suggestion of volunteer friends). Is someone else's safety worth $76?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
TheGrouch;25695 wrote: Are you seriously that strapped for cash? That would haunt me.
Yeah, me too. Once my helmets are too old, even if they're non-crashed, the strap gets cut off and it goes in the garbage.

updated

I believe what he did was respectable and fair.
He was totally upfront with all damage.
That helmet is still safer than a NEW $76 helmet.
Is everyone on this forum rich????
"One mans trash is another mans treasure"

There are alot of people selling used tires that have been removed and installed
in reverse direction to extend life because uneven wear.Any tire manufacture would not recommend this for safety reasons.

beac83

Ok, more info about donating it to the Fire/EMS for training.

I have a couple of helmets around here that are over 8 years old, and one new one that I trashed at BHF this summer. It'd be cool to find a way have them provide some life safety training value before landing in the landfill.

tricklidz

updated;25717 wrote: I believe what he did was respectable and fair.
He was totally upfront with all damage.
That helmet is still safer than a NEW $76 helmet.
Is everyone on this forum rich????
"One mans trash is another mans treasure"

There are alot of people selling used tires that have been removed and installed
in reverse direction to extend life because uneven wear.Any tire manufacture would not recommend this for safety reasons.

That helmet is still safer than a NEW $76 helmet

Boy, you'd have a hard time proving that fact!!:dunno:
Bad idea, IMHO!!!:wow:

updated

tricklidz;25720 wrote: That helmet is still safer than a NEW $76 helmet

Boy, you'd have a hard time proving that fact!!:dunno:
Bad idea, IMHO!!!:wow:
Correct.

However, it would be just as difficult to prove it not as safe...

tricklidz

...until someone crashes with it, gets hurt, and a lawyer knocks at your door!!!
Remember what country we live in!!!:(

sheepofblue

beac83;25719 wrote: Ok, more info about donating it to the Fire/EMS for training.

I have a couple of helmets around here that are over 8 years old, and one new one that I trashed at BHF this summer. It'd be cool to find a way have them provide some life safety training value before landing in the landfill.
I just went by and gave mine to the local volunteers. I did stress that it was unsafe for use. They can use it to practice safely removing a helmet at a crash site. No $$$ but it might help a fellow rider.

Blaise

He was upfront about the damage. $76 well made.... knowing PA, 99% don't wear a helmet period.

greeny

maybe YOU shoulda kept the helmet... from shoei's website:

Shoei offers a free impact inspection service for any Shoei helmet. To have your helmet inspected, please send it to;

Shoei Helmets
3002 Dow Ave
Ste 128
Tustin, Ca 92780
Attn: Inspections

Be sure to include a letter with a brief description of the issue with the helmet, as well as a daytime phone number and return address. Once we receive the helmet it will take 1-3 business days to complete the inspection. Upon completion the helmet is returned to you with a letter stating the findings of our inspection. Your helmet is returned to you if it passes the inspection or not. There is no charge for the inspection, and the UPS Ground return shipping is free.

ZxRegg6r

I thought once your helmit touch da ground on a crash it was done.

I stop resting my helmit on my tank or seat for that reason.

finny47

OK - so I asked the guy what he is doing with my helmet. He scratched up his existing X11. The rear spoiler and shield on his are cosmetically damaged. He's getting two shields (clear and mirror), plus he's going to attempt to install my spoiler on his helmet for $76.00. He is NOT going to wear it.

I hope everyone can sleep better at night. :p I do like the suggestion about cutting the strap so I know no one will try to use the helmet for anything other than parts.

Thanks for that suggestion.

rk97

ZxRegg6r;25804 wrote: I thought once your helmit touch da ground on a crash it was done.

I stop resting my helmit on my tank or seat for that reason.
I think it was this site... someone posted up a video from Jay Leno's garage on helmet fitting. according ot the Arai rep, a helmet (or at least an Arai helmet) should be fine if it falls off the seat and hits the ground.

momentum is MASS x velocity. the mass of the helmet alone (from 4 ft or lower) isn't enough to negatively affect its crash worthiness.

i was actually really happy to hear this, since my street helmet (i have a separate one for the track - mostly because of bugs) fell off my desk at work 2 days before seeing the vid.

dmb367

snowbizx;25799 wrote: maybe YOU shoulda kept the helmet... from shoei's website:

Shoei offers a free impact inspection service for any Shoei helmet. To have your helmet inspected, please send it to;

Shoei Helmets
3002 Dow Ave
Ste 128
Tustin, Ca 92780
Attn: Inspections

Be sure to include a letter with a brief description of the issue with the helmet, as well as a daytime phone number and return address. Once we receive the helmet it will take 1-3 business days to complete the inspection. Upon completion the helmet is returned to you with a letter stating the findings of our inspection. Your helmet is returned to you if it passes the inspection or not. There is no charge for the inspection, and the UPS Ground return shipping is free.
this is AWESOME intel, thank you! :adore:

Now find me one for Suomy! :D

greeny

^^^ no problem! i'll report back soon about the response time since i'm sending off one of my crash victims on monday :D