BT003RS pressures...again!

cheekymonkey2

Don't mean to beat a dead horse here. I have my first track day next Saturday at RA and I'm running BT003RS's. 30-32psi seems to be the concensus, but since I'm going to have my training wheels on, should I run a higher pressure?

jimgl3

from the Bstone race tire distributor:

stickboy27408-25-2009, 08:26 PM
We run 30/30 off the track and it works well. Willow may want something a little different with that long never ending turn though

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SoHotRightNow08-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Would it be safe to assume that these pressures also apply to the BT-003RS? And if anyone has a good base pressure for Fontana, that would be great

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

stickboy27408-25-2009, 09:03 PM
In this case, yes. They do use the same pressures.

geekmug

noobinacan;129009 wrote: start with 30-30psi hot
I concur with this suggestion. I have done 5ish track days on my set running pressures in this ballpark and the grip and wear have been excellent.

RandyO

Ok so I have been riding the 002 and the 003RS (some 10 sets of them).. I set my pressures cold at 32/32

If I tried to run them 30/30 hot I dont think I could ride the bike.. I tried 30/30 cold and the bike was so wishy washy, it was scary... could be the weight of my bike but at 31/31 cold, Dave Moss had me bump my pressures 2psi (33/33 cold).. I come off that track at 38/38 hot FWIW..

geekmug

RandyO;129094 wrote: Ok so I have been riding the 002 and the 003RS (some 10 sets of them).. I set my pressures cold at 32/32

If I tried to run them 30/30 hot I dont think I could ride the bike.. I tried 30/30 cold and the bike was so wishy washy, it was scary... could be the weight of my bike but at 31/31 cold, Dave Moss had me bump my pressures 2psi (33/33 cold).. I come off that track at 38/38 hot FWIW..
I wouldn't doubt it's the weight that is the source of our differing experiences.. you are talking about a bike that is maybe 50% heavier than a middleweight. In the end, you are targeting an operating temperature and not a pressure.

jtsgsxr6

cheekymonkey2;129096 wrote: Thanks for the opinions. I'll try 33/33 cold and go from there then.
What bike are you riding, Unless its a busa like Randy you should not be trying them that high.

ngc81

jtsgsxr6;129200 wrote: What bike are you riding, Unless its a busa like Randy you should not be trying them that high.
Yes, that is really too high on those tires. The front tire especially is going to need some heat in it to get it to stick. I also find it hard to believe that front and rear set the same cold will heat up to the same pressure. I think maybe someone's gauge may not be very accurate.

Not only is his bike heavier, it is likely far more powerful, thusly making it's own heat in the rear tire. frankly, I'm surprised a BT-003RS rear tire will hold up to the abuse of a Busa. They make really good tires for Buells that don't have all that ripping power to the rear tire.

rabbit

30 hot would be about 27 cold as a start, right? That seems pretty low (but I don't claim to know anything). I run 29f/30r and I'm pretty happy with the grip and wear. Meaning the wear is even - durability does not enter the equation.

ngc81

rabbit;129363 wrote: 30 hot would be about 27 cold as a start, right?

For the rear, yes

But for the front 29 cold = 30 hot

But both of those are dependent on the air and track temp and despite what one guy said, your pace.

That seems pretty low (but I don't claim to know anything). I run 29f/30r and I'm pretty happy with the grip and wear.

Never heard of more pressure in rear tire except on the street...

Meaning the wear is even - durability does not enter the equation. Could you loan me some money? ;)
I'm an expert in my own mind. ex = used to be... but what's a pert? ;)

jtsgsxr6

But for the front 29 cold = 30 hot
Where did this come from? Thats not right. should be having around 4 psi growth from cold to hot. Maybe 29 off warmers, 30 off track, But not stone cold 29 to 30 off track.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
jtsgsxr6;129410 wrote: Where did this come from? Thats not right. should be having around 4 psi growth from cold to hot. Maybe 29 off warmers, 30 off track, But not stone cold 29 to 30 off track.
:agree:

ngc81

jtsgsxr6;129410 wrote: Where did this come from? Thats not right. should be having around 4 psi growth from cold to hot. Maybe 29 off warmers, 30 off track, But not stone cold 29 to 30 off track.
To be quite honest, from Stickboy, the SE race vendor for Bridgestone. He told me to run them 30/30 hot off the track and said that would be roughly 29/27 cold. All too often here in the SE we call ambient "cold" so, no, we're not talking about Boston cold ; ) Just touch the hood of a black car in a mall parking lot anywhere in Ga. this time of year! The forecast for Friday is 93 degrees. Heat index will add to that. Black tires on Black rims and Black asphalt = may as well be on warmers...

jtsgsxr6

ngc81;129500 wrote: To be quite honest, from Stickboy, the SE race vendor for Bridgestone. He told me to run them 30/30 hot off the track and said that would be roughly 29/27 cold. All too often here in the SE we call ambient "cold" so, no, we're not talking about Boston cold ; ) Just touch the hood of a black car in a mall parking lot anywhere in Ga. this time of year! The forecast for Friday is 93 degrees. Heat index will add to that. Black tires on Black rims and Black asphalt = may as well be on warmers...
That may be the case once the day is rolling, typically I think cold pressure I think just woke up, sun is rising, morning of track day cold. There's no solar warmth over night. So depending on morning ambient I set front around 26-27, then the rest of the day only adjust hot off track pressures, could care less what they drop to during my resting periods.

Tire pressures don't have a set in stone value, like someone said your goal is to keep the tire in it's operating temps.

sheepofblue

Double check he did not give you off the warmer pressures. I run slicks and have run regular race 003's from him and the pressures are always off the warmer then off the track.

2trill357

This came straight from Stickboy when I asked him about cold pressures for the 003R/S........

"The cold pressure depends on the track temp, ambient temp, moisture in the tire, riders style, ect. I gave up on it. in the 120/180 R/S's we shoot for 30f/30r hot off the track. That works out to be around 29f/28r off the warmers most days. If you don't run warmers, run 28f/27r cold and then adjust after the first session."

rabbit

30/30 hot? Wow. I'll have to try that this coming weekend. I was aiming for 33 to 34 hot and I thought they stuck like glue and wore very well.