Buying a track ready bike and use on the street?

dynastyss

Hey guys,

I am in the market for a new bike, and it would ultimately be a weekend canyon cruiser that I also use for track days. I see some of the r6s and cbrs in the classified with amazing parts (ohlins, woodcraft, 520 chain, etc) and they seem like great deals. But does it make sense to buy one, run it on the weekends and hit the track with it? Or are most of the bikes track only?

Thanks.

madriders86

ive thought about doing this myself. You'd have to find a titled one, and then figure out the lighting and stuff. I've seen it done, so it's certainly possible.

plwtwo

Possible yes, however, it might be more expensive to turn a track bike back to street. Plastics, lights, wiring, plus suspension settings could possibly all need to be bought, modified or changed to make it street rideable.. All things to keep in mind when looking at a bike.,, Not to mention title, etc!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I bought a track ready bike that came with street stuff, thinking I'd swap them back and forth as I wanted to. I find myself too lazy, and not caring to put the street stuff back on, even though it honestly takes me less than an hour. Street riding has vastly lost its fun to me anymore.

If I had to choose, I'd just have two bikes, track and street. Preferably both the same model, so I can scavenge parts off the street one to keep the track one going in case of a minor low side!

mrh372

dynastyss;247540 wrote: Hey guys,

I am in the market for a new bike, and it would ultimately be a weekend canyon cruiser that I also use for track days. I see some of the r6s and cbrs in the classified with amazing parts (ohlins, woodcraft, 520 chain, etc) and they seem like great deals. But does it make sense to buy one, run it on the weekends and hit the track with it? Or are most of the bikes track only?

Thanks.

Thats what I did with my 929. Race fairings and can take on or off my street goodies in about 20 minutes. Its hard for me to justify having a bike I only ride a couple of days a year. Plus the more you ride it the more familiar you are with it when you do go to the track.

-mike

vice

could always run track plastics on the street. get some cheap fog lights from walmart and put them on a quick disconnects by your clip ons. same with a brake light. In most states, you don't need turn signals

andykurz

^ to add to that:

Just make sure you read the regs in your state. A foglight, in some states, is not a DOT headlight. It's more of an attempt to fool the law into not pulling you over. YMMV.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Or you could just run the street bike in street trim on the track. I had a bike that did dual-duty for years. Prior to a trackday, I'd just tape up, unplug lights. Quicker than changing bodywork, although then you have the risk of rashing the OEM stuff. I'd made a number plate out of a piece of vinyl so I just taped it over the headlight.

Miss-Nani

HondaGalToo;247935 wrote: Or you could just run the street bike in street trim on the track. I had a bike that did dual-duty for years. Prior to a trackday, I'd just tape up, unplug lights. Quicker than changing bodywork, although then you have the risk of rashing the OEM stuff. I'd made a number plate out of a piece of vinyl so I just taped it over the headlight.
I'm planning on doing the same with my CBR until I can afford a track bike. Now, did you ever crash at the track while it was your dual-duty bike?

02SV

I am sure no one looks to crash. I know I will one day and probably another handfull of times. It is a question of what is affordable when that happens. Is the bike the sole source of transportation? In my very short experience with Nesba, dual duty is practical and economical. That leaves more in account for TDs.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Miss-Nani;247943 wrote: I'm planning on doing the same with my CBR until I can afford a track bike. Now, did you ever crash at the track while it was your dual-duty bike?
No, I did not. Glad I didn't because at one time that bike was a pristine 1995 Ducati 900 SS SP! And I wouldn't have been happy if I did. As they say about the track: Don't ride anything you aren't willing to bring home in a bunch of pieces. It doesn't (and shouldn't) have to happen often, but sometimes it does. Sharkskinz makes street bodywork that could be put on and left on, as it has the cut out for the headlight. That way, the street bodywork could be set aside. I did trackdays for about 12 years before I fell. Only twice so far, once a few years ago, once last year. Hope there's no more, but you never know. Since '07 I've had a track-only bike.

I personally woudn't bring a financed bike to the track, but people do.

Miss-Nani

^^Yes I've seen the shiny new bikes at the track before - been going as spectator/pit crew to friends since 2009. I couldn't bear to see my showroom masterpiece go down.

But hey, over 12 years and only two crashes... and you're in the advanced group? What's your secret???

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Miss-Nani;247957 wrote: But hey, over 12 years and only two crashes... and you're in the advanced group? What's your secret???
No kidding...I've been down twice in the same month. :banghead:

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Miss-Nani;247957 wrote: ^^Yes I've seen the shiny new bikes at the track before - been going as spectator/pit crew to friends since 2009. I couldn't bear to see my showroom masterpiece go down.

But hey, over 12 years and only two crashes... and you're in the advanced group? What's your secret???
I'm a slow learner, LOL. I'm still slow, just not as slow! Since it's a trackday, I'm not focused on overall speed. I just focus on being smooth, and learning good techniques. I guess that's what helped, I never push far beyond my comfort level.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Don't let Judy BS you..she's an AWESOME f*cking Rider!

She's just humble about it.

D-Zum;247961 wrote: Don't let Judy BS you..she's an AWESOME f*cking Rider!

She's just humble about it.
True, I'll never forget watching JonnyZ track her down on his 125 when all the sudden she shot off turn 6 at T-Bolt and was motorin!

But having talked with Judy she comes form the early era of track days when learning, safety and fun were the focus. She adds one little piece at a time.

BZ

D-Zum;247974 wrote: Hey Bubba..you coming to NJMP Monday PHUCKER??????
Nope, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night :p

I just signed up for the NJMP T-Bolt two day in September. I have had alot going on this year so I took June off and July and August were already out. Like you I am a family man so time has been valuable with the little Bubba's. The 19 month old is screaming right now about the fact he doesnt have equal rights. He has received his first "lifes not fair get back to work" speech from Dad.

you coming out in September Brother Deezum?

BZ

Southerly

I have been running my street bike on the track for the last few years. It is my primary transportation, as we only have one car. I crashed it at Road Atlanta in June and managed to do more damage than I originally thought. As I was finishing putting the things I knew about together, I discovered that I had twisted the front end as well. My wife isn't too pleased as now we have to share the SUV until the bike is repaired, which actually means I have it most of the time.

I would really like to get a dedicated track bike, and I have seen one listed on here that would be perfect (a related Triumph model). My financial manager has not agreed to it however. Her solution to the problem is to stop riding on the track. :banghead: Since that isn't going to happen, I either need to work harder on the arguments for a track bike, or do a better job of keeping the rubber side down.