Buying a track ready bike and use on the street?

Miss-Nani

HondaGalToo;247960 wrote: I'm a slow learner, LOL. I'm still slow, just not as slow! Since it's a trackday, I'm not focused on overall speed. I just focus on being smooth, and learning good techniques. I guess that's what helped, I never push far beyond my comfort level.
Bubba Zanetti;247966 wrote: But having talked with Judy she comes form the early era of track days when learning, safety and fun were the focus. She adds one little piece at a time.
I'll try to keep all that in mind my first track weekend - 3 days from now. But I have to admit being smooth or lack of, is what I'm most concerned with. Last Friday I got new Q2s which I've never ridden on before and a few weeks before that I had the suspension dialed in for the first time. Was planning to learn the bike's new nuances but it's been rainy as heck here in NC these last couple of days. Thinking at the track it might feel like riding an unfamiliar bike in an unknown environment. :notsure:

Southerly;247990 wrote:
Her solution to the problem is to stop riding on the track. :banghead: Since that isn't going to happen, I either need to work harder on the arguments for a track bike, or do a better job of keeping the rubber side down.
Good luck Southerly, maybe lots of flowers and chocolates will persuade her? :dunno:

Nani:

As a long time B grouper, speed is a by product of doing everything else correctly. If you try and go fast you wont. If you listen to the directions and advice of CR's and add one little piece of skill at a time you will go faster.

You are about to have more fun on a motorcycle than you can imagine.

BZ

Miss-Nani

Bubba Zanetti;248056 wrote: Nani:

As a long time B grouper, speed is a by product of doing everything else correctly. If you try and go fast you wont. If you listen to the directions and advice of CR's and add one little piece of skill at a time you will go faster.

You are about to have more fun on a motorcycle than you can imagine.

BZ
^Heard that a lot this weekend and you're absolutely right! I was lucky there were several CR's that led me around and showed me from the race line to the right way to hold the handlebars. And the progress from Saturday to Sunday was incredible... it just started to sink in the next day. Did all of Saturday's 7 sessions and on Sunday did 5 out of 7. Missed one because I had a two-up ride with the owener of TPM and it was such a fast pace that when I got back, my hands were shaking from all the adrenaline. Had to sit one session out to calm dwn from the excitement. Next one out I go all pumped and leaned so far that my shifter lever broke! Good I was in 3rd gear and was able to keep calm, on maintenace throttle mid-lean, finish the last couple of turns and pit in safely. Missed the last session because of it but I was glad that I didn't lowside when I heard the lever break and soon after my boots started scraping... :argh:

Miss-Nani;248407 wrote: ^Heard that a lot this weekend and you're absolutely right! I was lucky there were several CR's that led me around and showed me from the race line to the right way to hold the handlebars. And the progress from Saturday to Sunday was incredible... it just started to sink in the next day. Did all of Saturday's 7 sessions and on Sunday did 5 out of 7. Missed one because I had a two-up ride with the owener of TPM and it was such a fast pace that when I got back, my hands were shaking from all the adrenaline. Had to sit one session out to calm dwn from the excitement. Next one out I go all pumped and leaned so far that my shifter lever broke! Good I was in 3rd gear and was able to keep calm, on maintenace throttle mid-lean, finish the last couple of turns and pit in safely. Missed the last session because of it but I was glad that I didn't lowside when I heard the lever break and soon after my boots started scraping... :argh:
Glad your first trackdays were a success!

No big deal on missing sessions, just that way it goes sometimes. Keep at it and more parts of the puzzle will fall into place.

BZ

denbsteph

HondaGalToo;247960 wrote: I'm a slow learner, LOL. I'm still slow, just not as slow! Since it's a trackday, I'm not focused on overall speed. I just focus on being smooth, and learning good techniques. I guess that's what helped, I never push far beyond my comfort level.

:agree: That is exactly my philosophy, I'm in no hurry to get to the next level, If I get there because of smoothness, consistent lines, good body position, and the overall effect that it looks like I know what I'm doing, then I'm good with that. A riding school (YCRS) doesn't hurt either :cool:

Miss-Nani

denbsteph;248440 wrote: :agree: That is exactly my philosophy, I'm in no hurry to get to the next level, If I get there because of smoothness, consistent lines, good body position, and the overall effect that it looks like I know what I'm doing, then I'm good with that. A riding school (YCRS) doesn't hurt either :cool:
Yep, already signed up for school... California Superbike School Level 1 at VIR next month. Figured I'd do my first track weekend before going to the schools so I'd know how to translate track-talk :eek:

hooligan998

I consider myself one of the lucky ones. I get to have a street bike and a track bike. I am in the process of converting my 07 R1 to a dedicated track bike. After doing some track days on it, it was no longer much fun to ride on the street with it. My 03 FZ1 is my sole street bike now, and frankly, it's more than plenty for the street.

Miss-Nani

I'm thinking of doing something similar... maybe turn the CBR 600 into my track bike for now, sell the 250 and get an sv1000 for the street. Now if only money grew from trees ;-)

moto1320

Well, I sold my Supersport for the street and bought a dedicated track bike almost right away. I picked up a dedicated track bike on here. It came with a stock tail as well with an integrated tail light. So, by NC law...I don't need turn signals, just one mirror, tail/brake light, and a head light. So, I can throw the stock tail/light on, put a $15.00 velcro-on bar end mirror, and stick on a car foglight set up I made that mounts with velcro and be "street legal" in about 30 mins. The only reason I don't ride it on the street much is that I have a toggle with instead of a key, lol.