Buying a Tz250? Thoughts?

JBZ1k

Aug 21, 2011
I have been kicking around the idea of getting a 2T for the track and would like some input on the matter. Anyone who rides or has ridden them in the past please share what you know about the experience, maintenance and overall enjoyment vs. cost side of things.
I would love to have a TZ250 and only being 130lbs I think I could put a hurting on some 1k guys at specific tracks. I also think this bike would force me to be a better rider in almost all aspects and that is what excites me most about the idea.

Any thoughts are welcomed and appreciated.

JBZ1k

Aug 21, 2011
I found one on the Isle of Man but I'm not sure what the cost to bring it states side would be. They are expensive little guys too.

bmrboy

Jan 11, 2011
Check-out ... tz.250.com lots of info .....

I actually had a TA-125 & TZ-250 back in the day [mid 70's] fast as hell-o , absolute blast to ride ...
parts are around and sometimes pricey ... ck out this web site you might find something a lot closer ....

Ruhe52

Jul 13, 2008
www.ridepre.com
Jake you wanna ride, or work on your bike at the track?
If you wanna own a TZ by all means grab one neat bikes. Want something that will be fun to ride and use as a learning tool go SV

JBZ1k

Aug 21, 2011
Ruhe52;287755 wrote: Jake you wanna ride, or work on your bike at the track?
If you wanna own a TZ by all means grab one neat bikes. Want something that will be fun to ride and use as a learning tool go SV
I understand what your saying about working on them but I think once you know how to get it fueling correctly it should not be any worse than anything else. It will be important to be prepared but I'm not planning on rebuilding it at the track.

I seriously thought about getting an SV but I'm not convinced that is what I want. The Sv will teach corner speed and getting a good drive out of the corners but you are trying to do it on an underpowered machine that is not purpose built for the track. The TZ on the other hand will be a no bs purpose built track rocket in the right hands. I have seen TZs putting down 90+ hp and I think riding a two stroke with that power would teach corner speed, getting a good drive, and you better have good throttle control. Plus with the frame construction and only weighing around 220lbs it will handle like a dream.

2010 zx6r, power to weight with me on it=
0.208 hp/lb

2001 TZ 250, with me on it =0.26 hp/lb

JBZ1k

Aug 21, 2011
bmrboy;287752 wrote: Check-out ... tz.250.com lots of info .....

I actually had a TA-125 & TZ-250 back in the day [mid 70's] fast as hell-o , absolute blast to ride ...
parts are around and sometimes pricey ... ck out this web site you might find something a lot closer ....
Thanks for the info

Bubba Zanetti

Jul 14, 2008
We since I have a little experience here I will chime in.

Leaning to ride a two Yamaha TZ or Honda RS WILL make you a better rider and beat up on some liter bikes (actually all bikes) for sure.

The TZ250’s are starting to get expensive to run…depending. An example is cranks are 1,700 or a tad more and now some of the parts have gone NLA. Also, many of the two stroke gurus are retiring and don’t dispense there years of knowledge. They have moved on.

Another thing, and what some consider a negative, these bikes require a completely different mindset to own and ride. Believe it or not, some hate them, as they require you to ride it like your ass is on fire, they require a strict maintenance schedule and you will miss a session here or their due to jetting issues to maybe having to change gearing. Most of that gets solved over time if you keep a detailed note book on jetting and gearing, which again people don’t like because when their buddies are talking about that last session you are sitting their writing down information on your session. Simply put they are work. Work to ride, work to keep reliable and work to keep track of LOL!

Oh yeah, they are push start only…so enjoy running down pit lane on a 90 degree day! And then you sit on it revving it up getting it to temp (you cant go until a certain temp and they do not idle). If you time it wrong all your buddies have left and you are sitting their revving away missing parts of your session.

Ok, now that I have covered a few negatives here is the great!

Simply put, there is nothing like these machines. You can break so much later and carry so much more corner speed it seems to defy the laws of physics. When you are running and having a great day I have a perpetual smile in my helmet. What an R1 is on the straights is what you can do in turns. What is scary is the limits are hard to gauge. I am slow on my TZ125. I watch USGPRU racing videos and talk with 125 racers. I cannot believe the difference we have in lap times on the same equipment! The two stroke community is very tight knit and owning, maintain and riding one of these machines makes you part of, at times, an almost fanatical cult.

There is a much to cover so I am going to PM you my number, please give me a call and I get give you way more of the meat and potatoes of these bikes and what you would face in riding one and also bring up some bikes you may want to consider.

PM sent!

Peace,

BZ