Buying wife her first bike - what to buy?

readyfreddy

I am shopping for a bike for my wife who is very interested in motorcycles and really wants to learn how to ride. I am torn between a 2010 Yamaha V-Max and the 2009 Yamaha R1. She has a pair of red Sidi riding boots - and really likes the white R1 with the red seat - as she feels her boots will match well. Can anyone offer any guidance or suggestions? I ride a Canadian version of the CBR 125 .... and don't know much about either of the Yamahas... any help would be appreciated. Thanks

TwoTyres

:popcorn:
Since she has the red boots i would go with the red and white R1. gotta look cool while riding.

Drtbkrdude

I would never want someone I love to learn 'how to ride' on the pavement. First fall and something is sure to break as well as someone. Nothing like that first fall (on the pavement) to dampen a newbies enthusiasm. Let alone just one little mistake (I thought the clutch was the brake!) could be fatal. FWIW.
Even with the most loving lessons, come panic time we all resort to reflex.

Drtbkrdude

What did you do just buy a big insurance policy on her?
A F'n V-Max or R1 for a first bike?
Are you serious??? :banghead::doh::haha::popcorn:

Blinky

Hmmmmm, you probably took out a life insurance policy for your wife if you are thinking of getting her those bikes. She should learn on something smaller. I got my wife a ninja 250 and she loves it. She just zooms all around and if it drops on its side, no worries. I would recommend a smaller bike, unless you want to collect on that life insurance. I think I would rather keep my wife.

:popcorn:

Meat

LOL, you guys are killing me. This is obviously a joke. He is on a Canada CBR 125 and she wants to learn on a red and white R1 because it matches her boots.

DRINK SOME COFFEE!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Hahaha, good joke. C'mon back when you really want to be a part of our community! :)
Do you ride with NESBA? Or did you just come on here with your first post looking to stir the pot? You posted in the wrong section too. I smell SPAM.

readyfreddy

I was just joking... trying to have a little fun.. i thought some people might enjoy it... i probably did 'post' in the wrong section - i am a little slow... is there a more appropriate section to joke around? anyway... hope i didn't offend anyone... i was hoping for some creative responses... and for those of you who took me seriously - jeez? i may have given some a creative way of ridding themselves of the ball and chain.. i am a newbie to this club... but i did rock it out with Nesba at Road Atlanta in the 30 degree weather last month... and am looking to do some more track days this year in Alaska ... catch you all soon...

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Nah, it's all good, I knew you were joking around! Does your wife really want to learn how to ride? Anyway, welcome to NESBA! :D I'm a town over from you, so maybe we'll see you at NJMP.

rk97

readyfreddy;103864 wrote: I was just joking... trying to have a little fun.. i thought some people might enjoy it... i probably did 'post' in the wrong section - i am a little slow... is there a more appropriate section to joke around? anyway... hope i didn't offend anyone... i was hoping for some creative responses... and for those of you who took me seriously - jeez? i may have given some a creative way of ridding themselves of the ball and chain..
I figured you were joking, but if I had a nickel for every moron on "Yahoo Answers" who asked a similar question and was 100% serious, i'd be pretty well-off.

"Which bike should I buy as a first bike? GSX-R 1000, or Yamaha R1? I am 5'10" and 200 lbs, so my friends say a 600 will not be big enough, and i'll get bored with a 750 quickly."

:rolleyes:

Meat

Blinky;103899 wrote: I think we are waiting, right Meat? :popcorn:
Definitely!

It is like fraud to post up a thread like this and not even post the pics! If it isn't fraud then it is a ethical violation of some kind. :)

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
readyfreddy;103864 wrote: I was just joking... trying to have a little fun.. i thought some people might enjoy it... i probably did 'post' in the wrong section - i am a newbie to this club...
Freddy welcome to NESBA!! just in case you didn't know there is a penalty fee of $250.00 for posting practical jokes in the wrong section!! I would PM Mark with an apology asap and hopefully get a waiver on the fee...again welcome to NESBA.

rk97

Prix;103924 wrote: Either GS 500 or Ninja 250
I have nothing bad to say about the GS500, but the EX500 is a vastly superior bike for about the same money...

The EX is liquid-cooled, and has a 15hp advantage on the GS.

The GS has a better frame, and more modern looks, but check the grids at Loudon in their 'factory 500' class, or whatever it is. The kawasaki is quite a bit quicker.

I have an EX as my daily ride (I admit I'm biased), and my dad has a GS (for sale, if anyone's interested). Riding them back-to-back, the power difference is significant. An EX motor in a GS frame would be the shit though.