Cabin or House in the Mountains

Folly1

I want to rent a place at altitude, 2000 and up, for some random long wkends this summer to get out of the heat. I live in Charleston and would like to hold the drive to 5 hours. Thinking about the Asheville area.

No kids, one spouse and the best black Lab on the planet.
Good motorcycle roads a must.

All of my friends ride with NESBA so I can't provide any meaningful references.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben.

Ruhe52

Tons of roads Ben. Di and I have friends there you'll love it cool area. Bring your bike as well. tons of great bicycle rides all over the place. just remember Blue Ridge Parkway is federal.

RIDETIME

Ben, I grew up in the Upstate and have riden many roads. You can't go wrong with just about anything from Greenville SC,:agree: north, Waynesville NC to East of Asheville. There are plenty of place to take the Lab. Check out Dupont forest for Mtn Bike riding. Yes watch out for the FEDS on the BRP as they will stop you, especially around Asheville. A while back some knuckle heads were trying to beat their 'time' record and got busted big time.

NCDave

I'd suggest the Maggie Valley area west of Asheville. It's touristy, so there should be plenty of places to rent, but it's also centrally located to very good riding. If you want to get further away from things, consider Natahala area. Not far from Deals Gap, Cherahola, and accessable to N Georgia very easily too. We stay in that area and end up in Helen GA for some good german beer at least once during our trips. :)

bodell

If you choose Ashville, make certain to ride 63 (aka New Leicester Highway) up to 209. It is tighter than Deals Gap ans virtually police free. Elevation changes are incredible.

picture.php

picture.php

Sprintman

Google turnstonecabins.com. It is not near Ashville, about 20-30 miles south of Franklin, NC on the Georgia/NC border. I guarantee you will not find a nicer cabin or better setting for the money. The cabin's back porch is right on top of a babbling creek. Only 4 cabins at the end of the road. Good riding is within an 30 minutes in any direction. I recommend a visit to Tallulah Gorge while you are there, the stairs are a killer. You can also hike up to the Appalachian Trail right from the cabin. I book a week every summer. My wife just loves the place, the cabins are very clean and it is so peaceful and restful, yet you can still find civilization in 20 minutes.

moto_mx131

I live in Asheville there are a ton of places to rent around here right now. I think there are some cabins in Leicester for rent up in the mountains and there is some really nice roads in every direction. If you come to Asheville let me know I can tell you every road worth riding.

smack28752

Hello Ben,

Would love to ride with you when you come up. My brother and I are in Marion (about 30 miles from Asheville) & know a bunch of great places to show you...

Let me know!

Steve Mc

Folly1

Thanks Steve. I will. I need to start collecting phone numbers. We are putting together the plan now. Last year it was every other wkend starting in July and running through Aug.
After that Chris (Highway) and I did a 4 day ride up into Tenn., Kentucky, looped the Smokies, back above Asheville and spending the last night in Brevard. It was a great trip and I am up for doing something like that also. Chris picked the route each night buy looking for the twistiest roads. He did a great job.
Are you going to be at RA this weekend?

Ben.

smack28752

Folly1;116940 wrote: Are you going to be at RA this weekend?

Ben.
I had hoped to be there but it did not work out for RA in April this year... I am anxious to get back to the track. Just saw that Geoff May is going to be there!

Enjoy yourself. I'll send you a PM with some contact info.