California Superbike School

2ndChapter

Question for those who have attended... I understand the difference between the levels (each being approx 475 or so) however the school offers a two day camp for 2450 which is a pretty heafty price tag. Just wanted to see if anyone has attended the camp and if so was it worth it. PM if you dont feel like providing your feedback publicly.

Thanks in advance

betarace

Honestly 3x one day camps is a much better value. I have done levels 1-3 and level 4 eleven times.

What you get in the 2 day camp over 1 days:
1:2 instructor to student ratio (rather than 1:3 to 1:4 at 1 day)
2 extra sessions per day
Bike included.

The 475 is on your bike, 675 on their 2013 bmws.

The biggest bang for your buck is level 4 (must take 1-3 first). L4 is custom to you and your needs. So for my money 3x 1 days still leaves money over for a track day where you can hone your skills and still have $$ left over

All that said, instruction is outstanding if you follow the lessons and ride to learn.

bacolmm

I did both level #1 and #2 on my own bike, about a year apart. I've never done a 2 day class, so I cannot compare / contrast. I liked being able to work on everything I learned in level #1 for a year before taking level #2. Now I need to get around to taking #3 and #4. Money well spent IMO.

Slow Steve

I hate pushups.
Control Rider
betarace;282681 wrote:
The biggest bang for your buck is level 4 (must take 1-3 first). L4 is custom to you and your needs. So for my money 3x 1 days still leaves money over for a track day where you can hone your skills and still have $$ left over
I didn't get all that from level 4. I found the first 3 to be much more informative. That being said, I took all 4 levels before I ever did any track days. I probably could have used that experience to help lay out level 4. The biggest thing is to go in with an open mind & hope you don't get Kieth as the classroom instructor. As knowledgeable as he is, he gets a bit long winded.

Pseudolus

Slow Steve;282977 wrote: don't get Kieth as the classroom instructor. As knowledgeable as he is, he gets a bit long winded.
LMAO! I only did levels 1-2 (3 was rained out at Thunderbolt). I was thrilled that Keith actually taught the lessons. The more annoying part was the less experienced instructors, who clearly had been with the school for a matter of months, trying to do that same " Zen questioning you to find your own answers " thing that Keith is so good at, but they didn't have the charisma or experience to pull it off.

All in all, loved it, and can't wait to go through all of the levels. I am salty though that they seem to emphasize accelerating to stabilize the bike while The good folks at NESBA have made me see the benefits of trailbraking, which they didn't cover at CSS, so far. After that, right to YCRS!

bjwallen

I completed Level I & II during a 2-day event at VIR on 15-16 AUG 2012. Yes, it costs a little more than $2500; however, it is worth the cost on myriad levels.

It's turn-key. You're using their equipment. All you have to do is show up. They will provide boots, leathers, gloves, and helmet, if you don't already own them. They fuel the bike. They put new tires on it. If something goes wrong with a bike like a low-side in Turn 1, they put you on another machine. There may be a small payment for the damage you have done, but at the end of the day, you hop on/in whatever vehicle you arrived in and go to the hotel or home. No muss, no fuss. Plus the bikes are BMW S1000RR's which are extremely nice machines. They serve breakfast and lunch too so you don't have to pack the fridge or a cooler. They have plenty of water and shade. It's turn-key.

The attention is plentiful. There is a 1:2 instructor-to-student ratio. Every session the instructor is evaluating you and someone else, so you get some quality time with someone whose skills Keith has approved. The instructors are all good riders, and, at least the instructor I had, are good at analyzing your strong suits and helping you to realize how you might do something a little different.

The format of the instruction is brilliant. You sit in a classroom for 20 minutes where a particular topic is illustrated. Each topic throughout the day builds on the previous, so you're laying a solid foundation. Immediately following the classroom session, you're out on the track for 20 minutes practicing what you just learned. Limitations will also be placed on you during a session like the inability to use brakes and not being able to exceed third gear. After the on-track practice, you have a one-on-one meeting with your assigned instructor to discuss how the session went and how you feel about the topic you were just taught. Then, you're back in the classroom for a quick recap of the track practice, and then it's on to the next topic.

Keith's philosophy and approach are simple. His system teaches you how to break down a turn, and ultimately an entire race course, into it's component parts. It's a series of steps that you could liken to solving a complex problem. Once you have things broken down into small, manageable pieces, you can concentrate on the parts that you're not so good at and improve them.

My explanation is no doubt long-winded, but $2500 and an entire weekend aren't trivial to me. The takeaway is this - if you're serious about track days and/or racing, the school is worth every penny. Heck, what you learn in the school will also apply to the street.

My only other advice is that you take the class first thing in the season. That way you can refine the skills you pick up in the school all season long.

You'll never look at a track the same way again... I don't.

freeflydive

I just completed 2x days of L4 (29/30 Jul) at Thunderbolt. I've been tempted to do the 2x day camp, but for my money and sense of utility, I prefer doing 2x single days back to back! The back to back days reinforce the lessons/drills and help cement the new found skills into muscle memory/reflex, making it feel less mechanical.

As someone else has noted, L 1-3 are very structured, build on previous drills and go more in depth for the collective group in the class. L4 will spare you the every basic detail, but will tailor the info/drill variations to your individual needs.

The best approach to L4 is to have a plan of where you believe you need to improve...but be open minded when the coach has a better idea. L4 will be as good as the effort you put into it. I didn't gain much the first time I did L4 because I walked in there blindly without a plan...later L4 experiences have been fantastic.

Last note- Read (a few times) Twist of the Wrist II, as it is the school's bible...the DVD is great for a visual, but the book is much more detailed! As always, YMMV.

gblack

bjwallen;283016 wrote: I completed Level I & II during a 2-day event at VIR on 15-16 AUG 2012. Yes, it costs a little more than $2500; however, it is worth the cost on myriad levels.

It's turn-key. You're using their equipment. All you have to do is show up. They will provide boots, leathers, gloves, and helmet, if you don't already own them. They fuel the bike. They put new tires on it. If something goes wrong with a bike like a low-side in Turn 1, they put you on another machine. There may be a small payment for the damage you have done, but at the end of the day, you hop on/in whatever vehicle you arrived in and go to the hotel or home. No muss, no fuss. Plus the bikes are BMW S1000RR's which are extremely nice machines. They serve breakfast and lunch too so you don't have to pack the fridge or a cooler. They have plenty of water and shade. It's turn-key.

The attention is plentiful. There is a 1:2 instructor-to-student ratio. Every session the instructor is evaluating you and someone else, so you get some quality time with someone whose skills Keith has approved. The instructors are all good riders, and, at least the instructor I had, are good at analyzing your strong suits and helping you to realize how you might do something a little different.

The format of the instruction is brilliant. You sit in a classroom for 20 minutes where a particular topic is illustrated. Each topic throughout the day builds on the previous, so you're laying a solid foundation. Immediately following the classroom session, you're out on the track for 20 minutes practicing what you just learned. Limitations will also be placed on you during a session like the inability to use brakes and not being able to exceed third gear. After the on-track practice, you have a one-on-one meeting with your assigned instructor to discuss how the session went and how you feel about the topic you were just taught. Then, you're back in the classroom for a quick recap of the track practice, and then it's on to the next topic.

Keith's philosophy and approach are simple. His system teaches you how to break down a turn, and ultimately an entire race course, into it's component parts. It's a series of steps that you could liken to solving a complex problem. Once you have things broken down into small, manageable pieces, you can concentrate on the parts that you're not so good at and improve them.

My explanation is no doubt long-winded, but $2500 and an entire weekend aren't trivial to me. The takeaway is this - if you're serious about track days and/or racing, the school is worth every penny. Heck, what you learn in the school will also apply to the street.

My only other advice is that you take the class first thing in the season. That way you can refine the skills you pick up in the school all season long.

You'll never look at a track the same way again... I don't.
Do they set the suspension at all for each rider or do you just get what you get?

betarace

gblack;283098 wrote: Do they set the suspension at all for each rider or do you just get what you get?
Generally the suspensions are set for a common denominator as the bikes are shared across sessions/groups. You can request tweaks from Will the mechanic, but its doubtful you will need much as the bikes are very well set up. The school runs very strictly to the clock and its common to have a hot bike handed to you from the rider who just came off the track with tires warm and ready to rock.

freeflydive

LeMisVH;283048 wrote: I was just there too! Wondering if we rode together in yellow?
Ha...small world! I was in the yellow group on Monday and white on Tuesday. Johny was my on-track coach, while Pete was the off-track/seminar consultant.