calipers?

mark1200

anyone try to change there calipers?
r any of the newer honda calipers a direct bolt on??
how about a brembo set off of another bike?
i have an 05 cbr6 track only bike.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
All Japanese bikes use calipers with 108mm spacing between the caliper bolts, except the 2009+ R1's because they use those monster 6 piston binders.

Ducati's are 100mm spacing (I believe) so you cannot use calipers off a Ducati on a Japanese bike.

The only thing you need is the proper spacers for between the caliper and the fork mount so the caliper and the rotor meet properly. For example, if you buy Brembo calipers, you should be asked for what bike application, and the calipers should come with the proper spacers for being used on that bike. If you switch bikes, you can bring the calipers with you, but you'll have to get proper spacers.

Personally, I think Yamaha's R6 calipers are a great bang for the buck value caliper upgrade. On the older model Suzuki's, before Suzuki started using the Brembo calipers, you'll see quite a few bikes modified with Yamaha calipers. They provide better stopping power and are 100grams per caliper lighter than the stock Tokico calipers that come with the bike.

mark1200

well thats good to know.
what year Yamaha's R6 calipers r u thinking of?
wouldnt it be best to use a brembo cal off a gsxr?
Thanks
whit, pm sent.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
R6 radial mount calipers. Newer model R6's have them.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
mark1200;296900 wrote: well thats good to know.
what year Yamaha's R6 calipers r u thinking of?
wouldnt it be best to use a brembo cal off a gsxr?
Thanks
whit, pm sent.
Keep in mind opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and some of 'em stink...

But, in my opinion, the OEM Brembos (Not limited to just the (GSXR's either) aren't true Brembo quality. I know it's probably obvious, but they are not the $1000+ monoblock billet Brembos that everyone thinks of when they hear the word "Brembo".

What's your complaint with the brakes you have now? Have you tried different pads? Brake pads can make a world of a difference, along with a fresh bleed/new brake fluid in your system.

Kneedraggin101

What calipers are you looking for? I have cbr 1000 calipers, r6 calipers, the very expensive 5k a pair brembo monoblocks, or some pvm billet 6 piston monoblocks... All will give you different types feelings and braking ability, but keep in mind that they are only one part of the bigger picture.

You need correct lines and master cylinder to go along with above mentioned calipers.

So what's your budget? What are you trying to achieve, or gain with an upgrade over your stock calipers?

What's your complain with the stock units?

Sent from stfu

mark1200

i just do about 8 track days/ yr not racing. been at it for only about 5 yrs
i ride a 2000 cbr6 and my 2pals rides the 05's. i get to do all the maintenance.
we were just talking about an inexpensive upgrade , and started talking brakes. we dont have the budget for a full on true brembo system. i just thought i may be able to find a good deal on some used parts that would perform better than what we have now.
i realize that on my 2000 , i would have to make up a bracket to accept the radial type cal's but i think i can have them made for around $100.
i have put an 06 636 radial master on my 2000,i use Friction performance 95 pads. i am using racetech fork forkvalving and a penski shock.i change the brake fluid once a year.
i dont have any serious complaints about my brakes but, i have never used brembo stuff so lucky for me, i dont know what im missing. lol
it just seems to me that a more modern brake setup would give me added feel and power .
so i am just looking for advice on the best bang for my small buck, pocket.
thanks for the feed back.

Kneedraggin101

Well if your on a tight budget, then r6 or cbr 1000 calipers are the way to go. Now I have to say, that personally I believe the Honda master cylinder is stronger then the one you swapped out.

On average I see full complete r6 setups fetch 350 ish with master and calipers.. Although it's been a while since I've looked for clients, so that price could have gone up or down.

I can set you up with almost any setup you want, so do some research and lmk

Sent from stfu

mark1200

D-Zum;296890 wrote: All Japanese bikes use calipers with 108mm spacing between the caliper bolts, except the 2009+ R1's because they use those monster 6 piston binders.

Ducati's are 100mm spacing (I believe) so you cannot use calipers off a Ducati on a Japanese bike.

is there any issue with offset?
will the disk be centred properly with all of them?

Kneedraggin101

Offset will all be the same, it's just the bolt center to center... That's all that changes. If your building adapters, you can make them 108 center or 100, hell even the new r1 which I believe is 120mm

Sent from stfu

mark1200

yes that is true for my old bike.
what do u guys think r the cals i should be looking for in each category. say the 100mm to fit the 05cbr's and any size for the 2000?
is there any particular cal that stands out on the oem's? or should i just be looking for the best deal on something newish?
if u guys have something that would suite my needs (cheap), please pm me.
how about Masters?

Kneedraggin101

108mm to fit the other bike, not 100mm

You should look for cbr monoblocks or r6 if you want the best bang for the buck.

Masters, that's an open ended question for most ppl I'm sure, as the r6 one is probably the best oem one, in my opinion, although your original honda f4i one works well too.. The new replacement gsxr ones (post recall) actually feel quite nice.

Sent from stfu

mark1200

Kneedraggin101;296913 wrote: 108mm to fit the other bike, not 100mm

You should look for cbr monoblocks or r6 if you want the best bang for the buck.

Masters, that's an open ended question for most ppl I'm sure, as the r6 one is probably the best oem one, in my opinion, although your original honda f4i one works well too.. The new replacement gsxr ones (post recall) actually feel quite nice.

Sent from stfu
do u think there would be any noticable dif in a newr OEM brembo as aposed to a newr nisson or ,Tokico?
i am asuming that the brembo's from a gsxr would be 108mm also?

Kneedraggin101

Gsxr are all 108mm...

Can I notice a difference, yes a bit, can others, hard to say how much attention people pay, although other people may say they don't feel any difference.

Sent from stfu

mark1200

i have been reading sportbike reviews and paying attention to what the riders say about the oem brakes. the Hondas often come out near the top. lately it has been BMW.
i did notice in some tests that some bikes oem brakes have more power and others, more feel. i was begining to think there was a pattern, of there being a trade off, more power OR more feel. one seemed to apoes the other . the bikes with the most brake FEEL, had the least amount of power. but in the last couple of years BMW seems to have booth, even with a 2 piece caliper?

mark1200

i see that the BMW s1000rr says 3/4 on it. i assume this is the bore size. i thought all the dual cal bikes used a 5/8" bore. can anyone inform me about the dif.

mark1200

if i put 08= cbr1 cals that use 320 rotors on an 05 with 310mm rotors. do i simply get some material milled off of the mounting area or can u change up spacers?