Calling Intermediate riders--Tire Pole

JFS811

For you Intermediate riders what tires are you running and why. Few examples are:

Bridgestone RS10
Pirelli Rosso Corsa
Dunlop Q3

Thanks in advance for your feed back.

tad158

Astronomer not Astrologer
Q3....because they are awesome....wear like iron and have good grip....[/thread]

eskimo

Slow guy on a fast bike
I'm running the Diablo Rosso Corsa on my coach bike, and really like them. They work at everything from a novice pace into the advanced group, and offer plenty of grip. I get mine from Metric Devil Moto (Mike Failace)

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
I'm interested in the "why" as to what you are looking for when you ask this question. It's just my inner 5 year old coming out.

Here's what I know in a general sense about all 3 tires.

All 3 tires will serve you well in all 3 groups. All 3 will probably last a reasonably long time as long as your suspension is setup well for your weight.

All 3 tires will cost you about the same for a set.

There may be some subtle differences in handling that one tire may have over the others that are subjective to rider preference.

What tire's available to you may differ between organizations at various events and/or what vendor you buy them from.

tdelegram

Control Rider
I'm interested in the "why" as to what you are looking for when you ask this question. It's just my inner 5 year old coming out.

Here's what I know in a general sense about all 3 tires.

All 3 tires will serve you well in all 3 groups. All 3 will probably last a reasonably long time as long as your suspension is setup well for your weight.

All 3 tires will cost you about the same for a set.

There may be some subtle differences in handling that one tire may have over the others that are subjective to rider preference.

What tire's available to you may differ between organizations at various events and/or what vendor you buy them from.

You saw "Pole" in the title and couldn't contain yourself!

As Darrin said round, black, and rubber. Most of it is personal taste/feel expectations. I would rather have the insurance of most grip and give up on tire life, we aren't in a cheap sport.

JakeSizzle

Diablo Rosso Corsas (which also came OEM from Triumph). They last relatively long (I was at 5K miles when i replaced mine, they were just under 50% and probably wouldn't have passed tech).

A bit pricier than most others but they just flat out rock. Never have had an issue with grip (I don't run tire warmers, 30/28 F/R cold).

vdog99

I've been running Q3's for a while and love them. They have great grip and feedback. I love the profile - very linear transition from upright to full lean - and I like the stiff feel of the tire.

Last year at Jennings, I tried Pilot Power 3's and they felt too squishy. I didn't trust them when leaned over.

At Tally last weekend, I switched to Dunlop D212's (the UK made race tire). Definitely more grip and feedback than the Q3. I rode some morning sessions on the Q3 with a CR and could feel them start to slide when the CR had me up the pace. The D212's remained planted and definitely feel like a step up from the Q3.

KCLARK

been and was using Q3's but am switching up due to hearing how Michelins & Pirelli's are better suited for ZX6R's, so im going to try them out this season.
nothing wrong with Q3's to me I like them!

JakeSizzle

For what it's worth, I have a friend riding a bone stock 2009 ZX6R with Q3's in TPM and he's running middle advanced pace. He doesn't even own/run tire warmers! He's never had any issues.

He likes the life-span, the turn in feel, and most importantly the price! Pretty much any sport/track oriented tire will suit intermediate pace

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
I whole-heartedly agree with Judy. Hypersport STREET tires are better than Race tires of 10 years ago. Unless you're at the pointy end of A group, there's no reason to worry about grip. You just need to understand that any tire will NOT have the same amount of grip for a given temperature....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk