Camping at the track

wesmith443

What do you all take for a weekend camp at the track? This year I plan to do whole weekends at the track. In the past I was close enough to go home and and return the next day or i just did one day.

tomseviltwin

Control Rider
a tent.... :haha:

Actually something a bit more helpful I would recommend is to make some meals (chili, spaghetti, etc.) at home, vacuum seal them and then freeze them. Then to warm them up you stick the whole bag in a pot with water (sub boiling, but hot) on a camp stove to heat up until ready to serve. Whenever we do this we get a lot of ravenous looks from our neighbors, especially at 7am when we we were having hot biscuits and gravy and they were having cold pop tarts. :D We did share a little. This also keeps your mess down. You don't clean anything if you bring disposable plates to eat off of and don't accidentally put a hole in a vacuum bag while heating.

For the chilly early/late season nights, an electric heater for the tent is a must have!

Ruhe52

Kitchen sink approach

IMG_0004.jpg

binx_19

A tent, Air mattress, 8 Blankets, 4-5 chairs, mini-propane grill and what ever foods you like to eat.

Abbreviated list:

Extension cord
Canopy
Chairs
Table
Grill
tent
sleeping bag
electric blanket
heater
extension cord and 3 plug

Cooler with food/drink
Sunglasses
Camera
Bicycle
Leaf blower (to blow up air mattress)
Fan

I prefer to sleep on an air mattress in the minivan.......that's just how I roll ladies.

rk97

camping at the track is as elaborate or as grass-roots as you want it to be.

my first trackday, i showed up with a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut better. That was all the food I'd brought for the weekend :p

stuff I always try to have 1 too many of, instead of 1 too few:

- tarps (2 at the least. 3 is better)
- bungy cords
- tent stakes
- blanket or dry clothes

my setup is far from elaborate. Unless my wife is with me, I use a 5x7 '2-man' tent. To ensure perfect weather at all my events, I throw a tarp over my rain fly and stake the tarp down to the point that it can withstand a class-five hurricane.

an air-mattress or some kind of ground pad IS essential. You'll thank yourself later. best $10 you'll ever spend...

DON'T FORGET A PILLOW.

i only recently started bringing a small gas grill. People always seem willing to share flame space.

a generator has never been essential to my camp setup, but it's certainly nice to have.

TheGrouch

cyclerant;109844 wrote: Kitchen sink approach

IMG_0004.jpg

Well normally I sleep in my 7x14 enclosed, but after looking at Rant's rig I pitched a tent. :D Might have to sell the kid and upgrade!

DFlowe

I know I'm odd, but here's how I camp at the track. I use my EZ up awning during the days the same as everyone else. At night, I back my long bed truck under it and put my air-mattress in the back of the truck. Then I pile on enough blankets to keep me warm and sleep there for the night. It works out fine.

I love the big rigs that some of the folks have, I just know that you can spend as much as you want on this sport and not have any more fun. The main thing is just to enjoy the sport and the camaraderie of your friends. For me, camping there at the track enhances the whole experience.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
As of late, my buddy Finn has been springing for the hotel room, but I don't mind sleeping at the track. I started out with the tent and I'm now using the 6x10 enclosed as my domicile. Here are my must haves:

Honda genertor
Fan (For hotter days)
Heater (For colder days)
(I have one that's propane and rated for indoor use and one that's electric)
Laptop
Air mattress
Two sleeping bags
Pillow (You don't know how many times I forgot this and it ruined my night)
Two blankets

I normally go the cheap and easy route and bring some canned meals and just eat them out of the can. I love watching people's faces when they see me eating them like that. Dinner time is usually going to a restuarant.

JeremyGSU

Geez. Some of you guys are hardcore and I don't like messing with half that crap. I'm a hotel kind of guy and I've never slept at the track, nor do I plan to. lol

beac83

I camp at the track whenever I can, which is most track weekends. There are two large exceptions: Putnam Park (no camping allowed - have to stay at a campground nearby) and early and late season dates when it's just too cold for an old guy like me. When at Putnam I split to a hotel rtoom sometimes, as it's kind of crappy to take down the tent when it's covered in dew on Sunday morning, haul it to the track and try to dry it out on the paddock grass during the day.

That said, I either sleep in my trailer (if it's cool or if the mosquitoes aren't too thick, or in my tent if it's warm/hot and/or the aforementioned carnivorous bugs are rampant. I use a backpacking type air mattress and sleeping bag in either case.

Food- I bring a cooler and either sandwich meat, cheese, chips and bread (and supplement from track food vendors) or bring the grill and pots to do more elaborate cooking. It mostly depends on if I'm alone or have someone along for the rideshare. I'm reasonably happy with basic food, but will cook for others.

I bring my EZ up, a couple of camp chairs, one or more folding plastic tables, water, Gatorade, and my omnipresent sodas.

I usually haul the generator for the tire warmers, and have used it to run a heater in the trailer on cool evenings in the past. I'll use track power if available and reasonably priced. I also picked up a small propane heater (I stole the idea from Trent after RA in December!)

Like someone already said, you can be as basic or as elaborate as you feel you need. It's limited only by your willingness to unpack, setup, teardown and pack all the stuff.

JeremyGSU

JohnS;109942 wrote: Same here sorry all I have is a crappy cell phone pic

Titan010.jpg
Geez. If you guys tote full camping rigs what do you tow the bikes with? Don't tell me a whole seperate truck and trailer? lol

JohnS

JeremyGSU;109943 wrote: Geez. If you guys tote full camping rigs what do you tow the bikes with? Don't tell me a whole seperate truck and trailer? lol
The bikes are inside...Roll them out... down come the couches...time to ride

Titan003.jpg

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I've camped on occasion....slept in a tent, or in my enclosed trailer. During the summer, the trailer gets too hot. Plus, if I have the dog with me, he takes over my bed if I get up and go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, LOL!