Can you put a better muffler on a generator

stephenjpauls

Ok, let me start by saying that I'm the jerk who wasn't willing to drop 1.5K on a quiet generator, That cash is just too many track days. I got myself a Cummins 2KW generator this off season, many reviews said that is was on the quiet side, so I went with it. I finally got around to starting it up yesterday and though its not as bad as many generators I have heard, it is loud. With that, I would like to see if anyone has had success putting a better muffler on a generator. If so, what type of muffler did you use? I read online that someone was going to try a scooter muffler, but didn't post weather it worked or not. I appreciate any suggestions you guys have.

jeff15

Control Rider
I was wondering that myself. I have a old 2000 CBR 600 Exhaust laying around and thought about fitting it on a cheap generator.

stevo_x

I have no clue about this but I guarantee that I am the slowest guy named Steve in "B" hahaha okay maybe just in mid-central.

Got a buddy who used an old stock can on his central vac

headstart

Just pony up for a good 12 gauge 100 ft extension cord and put that thing as far away as possible- problem solved :)

oldschool

stephenjpauls;41970 wrote: Ok, let me start by saying that I'm the jerk who wasn't willing to drop 1.5K on a quiet generator, That cash is just too many track days. I got myself a Cummins 2KW generator this off season, many reviews said that is was on the quiet side, so I went with it. I finally got around to starting it up yesterday and though its not as bad as many generators I have heard, it is loud. With that, I would like to see if anyone has had success putting a better muffler on a generator. If so, what type of muffler did you use? I read online that someone was going to try a scooter muffler, but didn't post weather it worked or not. I applicate any suggestions you guys have.
+1:agree:
I'm with you on this one. I'd like to make mine a little less noisy.

TheGrouch

1.5K? Puff puff pass...good quiet generators can be had for under $900. That's money well spent when it's still 85 at night and you want to run a fan in your trailer to get some sleep.

An add on muffler may not address the engine noise itself. I think you'd better off with a 3L' x 3'W x 5'H carpet lined, wooden box (sans lid) to place around your noisy generator. With no lid, the generator should have no problem breathing and any residual sound not absorbed by the carpet would go up, rather than out.

One of those egg crate mattresses might suck up lots of sound and should be cheap.

Bucky Badger

I have struggled with this for the past couple years....finally got sick of having to put on my hiking boots on to trek out to where I had to put my generator because it was so loud or having people move it so the muffler isn't pointed towards their area...This year I invested in a Yamaha 3000ESI (thanks NESBA for the discount) quiet generator that i'm looking forward to using.

For what its worth...it wasn't cheap but I figure that I will get most of the money out of it on resale as the quiet generators seem to bring pretty good money when resold. Yeah it does suck to lay out the money for it (thats alot of tires!) but in the end...I want to be able to run the thing at night.

Blaise

Just wanted to chime in that it's nice to know that you guys are concerned with quieting your generators. The light sleepers appreciate it :)

stephenjpauls

TheGrouch;41985 wrote: 1.5K? Puff puff pass...good quiet generators can be had for under $900. That's money well spent when it's still 85 at night and you want to run a fan in your trailer to get some sleep.

An add on muffler may not address the engine noise itself. I think you'd better off with a 3L' x 3'W x 5'H carpet lined, wooden box (sans lid) to place around your noisy generator. With no lid, the generator should have no problem breathing and any residual sound not absorbed by the carpet would go up, rather than out.

One of those egg crate mattresses might suck up lots of sound and should be cheap.
Chris,

Thanks for the responce. I thought about a box, seems like a common solution. I even have some old sound tile I could line it with. The problem is that I don't have space for transport of it, which is why I'm looking at a muffler. Sorry if 1.5K was a bit of an overstatement. I just know that I never saw a 2000W honda used for less than $825.00, and I looked for over a month. I figured new ones were going for a bit more than that.

stephenjpauls

headstart;41982 wrote: Just pony up for a good 12 gauge 100 ft extension cord and put that thing as far away as possible- problem solved :)
I have a long extension cord, but I don't want to make the generator someone else’s problem. If I don't get it quieter I will probably look at pitting somewhere out of the way so I can do this.

cra_fizzer

Like others have said, the only way to quiet down a contractor grade generator is to either put it in a box or use a long cord and put it around a corner or behind a car or something. Even putting something in front of it to deflect the sound away helps.

ThePro8

stephenjpauls;42020 wrote: I just know that I never saw a 2000W honda used for less than $825.00, and I looked for over a month. I figured new ones were going for a bit more than that.
Keep looking. I got my used one for $750 and I've seen others for the same, although it isn't often. Wise Sales in Shaumburg area sells them new for under $1k.

punkass

you're at a race track with loud bikes going all day the generator doesn't matter. Its not like you're at a golf course. Be loud and be proud. :D

stephenjpauls

cra_fizzer;42036 wrote: Like others have said, the only way to quiet down a contractor grade generator is to either put it in a box or use a long cord and put it around a corner or behind a car or something. Even putting something in front of it to deflect the sound away helps.
Thanks, I was afraid of that. I have the long extention cord... I'll have to make sure I pit somewhere I can put it out of everyone's way.

ThePro8;42045 wrote: Keep looking. I got my used one for $750 and I've seen others for the same, although it isn't often. Wise Sales in Shaumburg area sells them new for under $1k.
Not sure if I was clear, I already purchased the other generator. Not only that, but even at $750 it is still $450 more than I spent on the one I have... which is a track day weekend or a new set of tires I would much rather spend the cash on. I just figured if for $50 I could quiet it down with a muffler, I would.

punkass;42053 wrote:
you're at a race track with loud bikes going all day the generator doesn't matter. Its not like you're at a golf course. Be loud and be proud. :D
The noise doesn't bother me much, I just don't want to annoy others.

Thanks so much for the replies everyone.

drizkol

I would recommend a two brothers slip-on for any noisy generator.. it sure seemed to quiet down my 07 GSX-R 600.... :p

greeny

oh maaaan, and u were such a pleasant pit neighbor last time ;)

sorry for the mild thread jack, but i got a killer deal on a used yami 2400iS (and also sorry to rub it in haha :eek:) and was wondering if it was actually acceptable to run the quieter generators like that all nite. it's still got a decent little purr to it... something that could definitely be heard.

rk97

as someone who camps in a tent at the track, I appreciate the aim of this thread, but I feel I have to point out the inherent hypocrisy it reveals...

a "better" muffler for a generator makes it quieter, yet a "better" muffler for pretty much every bike at the track makes them louder.:dunno:

ThePro8

stephenjpauls;42070 wrote: Not sure if I was clear, I already purchased the other generator. Not only that, but even at $750 it is still $450 more than I spent on the one I have... which is a track day weekend or a new set of tires I would much rather spend the cash on. I just figured if for $50 I could quiet it down with a muffler, I would.

The noise doesn't bother me much, I just don't want to annoy others.
Stephen, Although the more expensive generators hit the pocket hard at the start, they last forever and resell well. You will get close to what you paid for it when you are ready to get rid of it.

Your neighbors definitely appreciate quieter generators.

gkotlin

headstart;41982 wrote: Just pony up for a good 12 gauge 100 ft extension cord and put that thing as far away as possible- problem solved :)
As long as 100 ft from you isn't 5 ft. From me!

Yes, I had someone do this to me at Road America. They put the generator behind their trailer on an extension cord, right next to my pit.

I truely hate loud generators. It's my main gripe. I know, you will all be sure to put your generators near me now. But not necessarily even for sleeping. At lunch, you want to relax or chat with someone and you can't because someone feels the need to run their tire warmers for an hour and fourty minutes.

Thanks for upgrading Bucky. Now you won't be walking around all the time wondering why your tires are cold and your generator was turned off. I wonder who did that :dunno:

Rant over...