Can you tell tire wear from a picture?

clockworkjon

Apr 5, 2009
Just like the title says, if I post up pics of my tires, can anyone tell me if they'll pass tech? I'm doing my first track on 5/5 and if I don't have to buy all new tires immediately, that would be nice.

Please let me know if you can help. Thanks!

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Jul 11, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Typically, yes you can. Post up a picture and let the CR's on the forum comment on them. However, not every CR will think the exact same way at the track. They can suggest whether or not you could pass tech, but it is up to the CR at the track to make the final call. If you are questioning your tires, it is almost always best to get new rubber. It is the one thing that is in contact with the ground and you want to be confident in your tires.

clockworkjon

Apr 5, 2009
Thunderace;49072 wrote: Typically, yes you can. Post up a picture and let the CR's on the forum comment on them. However, not every CR will think the exact same way at the track. They can suggest whether or not you could pass tech, but it is up to the CR at the track to make the final call. If you are questioning your tires, it is almost always best to get new rubber. It is the one thing that is in contact with the ground and you want to be confident in your tires.
Took be about 10 minutes to read this because I kept looking at your avater. :wow:

Anyway, I'm not looking for a definitive answer online. I personally don't think they're that bad, but I have no track day/tech experience. I just don't want to find out when I get there that they're not good enough, then have to pay ??? for new rubber at the track (if its even an option.)

They're stock BT020s (which I believe are considered sport-tourers), about 5000 miles, and I know the rear is a little squared from boring-ass straight-riding to work but I don't know how/if that will affect me on a track.

I'll post the pics in a little while when I head home for lunch.

gkotlin

Jul 10, 2008
Looks aren't everything, so no guarantees. Discretion lies in the inspector at the track at that time. A tire could look great in a photo. But they could be dry rot, super hard or still bad in other says that can't be seen in a picture. If your ever in doubt, just plan on getting some fresh new tires. You'll have better traction. More peace of mind. Tires are something you just don't cut corners on when your new. You need to have confidence and trust in that last link to the road.

clockworkjon

Apr 5, 2009
Ok, just got a good close up look of my tires when I went to take a picture and they have a ton of tread left. Guess I never looked that close before. I should be just fine. If not, hopefully Turn One Racing will be there to sell me some new rubber.

gkotlin

Jul 10, 2008
clockworkjon;49104 wrote: Ok, just got a good close up look of my tires when I went to take a picture and they have a ton of tread left. Guess I never looked that close before. I should be just fine. If not, hopefully Turn One Racing will be there to sell me some new rubber.
When you come through tech, ask someone to show you what they're looking for on tires. We can point out the wear indicators and things so you have a better idea in the future. Knowledge is power. If tech is busy and we can't show you right then, someone else can help you out or we can do it later in the day as well. The Turn 1 guys always have your back. And mine, and everyone elses. They're great guys :)

snikwad

Jul 15, 2008
my rule is, if i have to think twice about it passing, im either changing it, or bringing a replacement, just incase.

clockworkjon

Apr 5, 2009
gkotlin;49486 wrote: When you come through tech, ask someone to show you what they're looking for on tires. We can point out the wear indicators and things so you have a better idea in the future. Knowledge is power. If tech is busy and we can't show you right then, someone else can help you out or we can do it later in the day as well. The Turn 1 guys always have your back. And mine, and everyone elses. They're great guys :)
Ya, I decided to not buy any until I try to go through tech. Even then if they pass I'll give it the morning to see how they feel on track. Worst case I've been talking to Marshall at Turn One (who's amazingly helpful and patient with a rookie like myself) and if my tires are less than confidence inspiring in the morning I'm getting new tires put on for the afternoon sessions. One way or another I'll have a blast!

I'm driving my wife crazy, I'm so excited to go I won't shut up about it! :D

Sklossmonster

Jul 10, 2008
Thanks for the props, I appreciate the love. It's really my pleasure helping people out. I remember all too well when I was the new guy trying to learn.

Do me a favor, swing by the Turn One Racing pits when you get unloaded and let me look at your tires. I'll be happy to give you my honest assessment at the scene, and don't worry about the fact I'm also the tire vendor. Those who know me well know my opinions are not for sale.

Truth be told, my first crash was on the street tires that were on my street bike when I went to my first "track day"

After my crash, then Midwest Director John Wendl asked me what happened. I said I didn't know, the tires just let go. No warning, no chance to save it.

They looked closely at my tires and started hassling me for bringing such old, somewhat dry-rotted in between the treads, tires. They had plenty of tread, and were just a few years old, but for the track they were complete crap.

Moral of the story, fresh tires are cheap insurance against a crashed bike, and really cheap insurance against a trip to the hospital.

When in doubt, change them out!

stephenjpauls

Jul 12, 2008
Sklossmonster;49517 wrote: Those who know me well know my opinions are not for sale.
:agree: when Marshall tells you something about your bike or riding... LISTEN! He knows what he is talking about and doesn't do it for his own profit. If I ever have a question about the saftey of something on my bike, I ask him and I know he will give me an honest answer.

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
Sep 16, 2008
Richmond, Vagina
www.rehabessentials.com
Alrighty...instead of postin up a new thread...let's continue:

I have Pilot race slicks on right now that I got from Motogypsy...take-offs..I have ran 1 day at Thunderbolt, the SED at VIR, and just ran them saturday at Lightning...and I was feeling UBER confident riding on them with no worries of taking turns too hot (well, hot for me...maybe not for you)....anyways...indicators are still prevalent...but i did have one little slip on the last session....doing the "fingernail" test, the nail impression does disappear...

I love the way I ride on these tires and wish they would stay fresh forever! But alas, like all good things.....

Anyways, to change...or not to change?