CCS Contingency

dc aka lowside

I am a little confused about the club level racing contingency. On CCS site they list the sponsors that pay money if you are top 3 in one of the classes and meet the requirements they set. Are those the only companies that will pay money for winning CCS races? I am asking because as I modify my bike for full out racing I want to be buying the parts that I have a chance at earning some money from.

NickMcCoy

CCS will list all of the companies that offer contingency. You just need to use their product, have their decal on the bike, list them on your sponsor form, and sometimes sign up with them beforehand.

Just know that each company will have a minimum number of riders and with grids getting smaller, sometimes there isn't enough riders to qualify. It sucks to look at the grid listings and see 5 racers, you're out the entry fee and can't win anything, it also sucks to watch a race that you know you could have won a couple hundred bucks off of but signed up for the wrong one. This happened to me a few times last year and was very frustrating.

dc aka lowside

Thx Nick. I did notice the field requirement, most of them only require like 5 racers but some require 10 and as you stated, some of the races don't even have 10 people at the grid...lol I hope they get more sponsors because I will have to swap a lot of parts to match their current sponsors

greeny

don't make yourself crazy using products that pay. i've only gone out of my way once to buy something for that reason... and it was because i was replacing my sprockets anyway. it's usually not worth the hassle to start replacing things you already have on your bike. however, when you start going through consumables, like brake pads etc, then take a look at sponsored brands and maybe try out their products the next time around. the "good money" is always in the tires, which is supported no matter which brand you're on. good luck!

Rick Johnson

Most of them give certificates to use to buy more of thier products which does help. This year Pirelli and Michilen are doing pay outs through XTRM on a visa card that you can use for whatever. Dunlop's contingency is low but the tires rock.

dc aka lowside

So now I have a question for you racers, do you switch tires every year depending upon who is giving the best contingency or do you just stick with the best tires that work for you?

sasrocks

dc aka lowside;128500 wrote: So now I have a question for you racers, do you switch tires every year depending upon who is giving the best contingency or do you just stick with the best tires that work for you?
yes. :D

ronhix

dc aka lowside;128500 wrote: So now I have a question for you racers, do you switch tires every year depending upon who is giving the best contingency or do you just stick with the best tires that work for you?
I run the tires I feel I can be the most competitive on.

Rick Johnson

Some guys run the ones that are paying better like Michelin and Pirelli this year. Then you have guys ( like Ron ) that run the tire they have the best feel on and finish best on. There might be a fast guy running Michelins cause they pay well but would rather be on the Dunlops cause as we all know money is tight in racing. As a Novice last year I ran the Bridgestones because I got a good deal on them and they worked for me at a fast Novice pace. They paid ok compared to the others and the certificates were usually to me in 3 to 4 weeks. For me it was time to move to another brand at a decent expert pace. I had already tried Pirelli's so I wanted to give the Dunlops a shot. I've only raced on them one weekend but man they stuck like glue. I'm now looking forward to trying the AMA spec GPA's since they are less expensive. Danny Eslick ran 28's to 30's on them at Barber so they have to be good.

danch

Rick, were you starting to run out of grip on the Bridgestones? Any other symptoms that you were getting everything out of them? Slicks or DOTS?

Rick Johnson

I was only running the 003 dot race tires. For the most part they were ok for me. I ran 35's on them at VIR North with out much movement at all. I did however lowside in T4 running 34's but I believe I just leaned too far over. The Dunlops might have stuck though. I had two friends running the same pace switch tires. One to Pirelli's and the other to Dunlops. They both went a second or more faster a lap just changing tires and nothing else. The guy that went to the Dunlops kept telling me you gotta get off the Bridgestones at the pace we are running. So I finally listened to him. He says the Dunlops have lots more grip. That being said I can say for a fact I ran the Stones all last season running up front as a novice and winning some championships that they are a good tire but once you get to a decent expert pace they probally will be holding you back some. That's my opinion based on my experience riding on them. I still need more time on the Dunlops to see how far I can push them before they slide. I can't wait to run them at VIR races in June. I'm looking for 33's on them. I believe the Stones are also a great trackday tire for the money even at a fast A pace.