chain ?

lplonske

i put on a larger rear sprocket and adjusted the chain with the axel in but not tight. When I tighten the axel nut the chain becomes tighter. Is this normal and why does it happen, i don't get it :dunno:

stkr

Yes, it's normal. As you tighten the axle nut, this draws the sides of the swingarm together, essentially making them farther from the swingarm pivot point. Just leave a little extra slack before you tighten everything up, and soon you'll know how much you need.

I start adjusting my chain, and as I get close, I'm also tightening the axle nut. This minimizes the effect once you're ready to make the final torque on the axle nut.

jimgl3

if you are talking about the gsxr750 just turn the axel around and put the castle nut on the opposite side! problem solved!

2trill357

If it's on the 750 do what Jim stated and swap the axle around so the castle nut is on the right hand side of the bike.

Something I do to ensure that the chain slack stays exactly how I want it is this.....I snug the nut up pretty good (not too tight but tight enough that I can't just unscrew it by hand) then adjust the axle (set my chain slack) where I want it utilizing the adjustment screws on the swingarm. After that's set I take a 3mm allen and stick it between the top of the sprocket and the chain. I then roll my wheel backwards and if your slack is about right the allen will stop (or be very resistant) the wheel from moving when its at about 2 o'clock (roughly). I then hold the wheel there and proceed to torque my axle nut to specs.

BTW always remember my motto when it comes to track/race bikes is "If your chain ain't smiling it ain't happy!" :D

Corsair

I just got done getting answers about chain adjustment from Speedzilla, and the topic of binding up the chain and sprocket came up while making the adjustments to the tension. Binding the chain (as 2trill describes) helps force the axle into the adjustment bolts for better accuracy.