Checkin-in

jbraslins

So i got banged up pretty good at VIR a week ago on friday (7/18):

Collapsed lung, broken humorus, 6 broken ribs and a broken shoulder blade. Prolly will leave the hospital tomorrow.

From what i could recall i got one wicked chatter on the brakes at the end of the back straight. Could not slow down and turn left in time, went off approaching roller-coaster and went tumbling from there.

Thanks to everyone who helped my buddy load our stuff. i'll be back in a few month.

Cheers.

jbraslins

So while I am recovering, i got a Q about the "chatter" that has caused m this trouble.

What happens is that on hard breaking my front forks start to bounce up and down and i can feel/hear the engine/bike make an oscilating sound as if engine was speeding up then slowing down again.

What interesting is that judging by fork bands, they have at least 0.75" left and dont seem to be bouncing off the bottom.

Any ideas?

Folly1

Janis,

Great attitude. Sorry about the crash(es).

I assume that you have not changed the geometry of the bike. The O6 does not like to have the front end lowered ( forks raised in triple tree). Has this happened before? I don't know about the GSXR but some bikes have an internal spacer so that the forks bottom out before a zip tie has reached the bottom? The last thing that I can think of is that you had your rebound damper over tight so that the fork just packed down and bottomed when you hit the brakes.

Hope you have a quick and relatively pain free recovery.

Ben.

brianjohnson

Hey Janis,

Glad to hear you're recovering. I have your leathers in the NESBA trailer - I'll get them to you the next time I see you. I haven't looked, but I'm guessing they're going to need some repair work before you can wear them again. :(

dpullen

Hi Janis, sorry about your get-off, that sounds really scary. I hope you heal up and get back out there soon.

As for the problem you described, one possible cause could be front rebound damping too soft. If you're not using all of the compression range, then it could be that the forks are compressing, and then releasing/rebounding very quickly (un-damped), then compressing again, etc. The rebound damping valve (usually adjusted at the top of the forks, labeled "TEN") keeps the forks from pogo-ing, which at high speed is chatter.

You can check the rebound easily enough by pushing down on the clip-ons and quickly letting go. If the bike comes back up and just settles, then rebound is ok. If the bike comes back up and bounces a few times, rebound is too soft.

- Dave

WANABE RACER

jbraslins;4064 wrote: So while I am recovering, i got a Q about the "chatter" that has caused m this trouble.

What happens is that on hard breaking my front forks start to bounce up and down and i can feel/hear the engine/bike make an oscilating sound as if engine was speeding up then slowing down again.

What interesting is that judging by fork bands, they have at least 0.75" left and dont seem to be bouncing off the bottom.

Any ideas?
the chatter you felt was you running off the track!! you should have borrowed my supermoto for that!! hope you get well soon! we all love ya!!!

RacerRuss

WANABE RACER;4378 wrote: the chatter you felt was you running off the track!! you should have borrowed my supermoto for that!! hope you get well soon! we all love ya!!!
I think the chatter was from Johnny Thunder (aka the crippled crippler) a-packing you as you went into the turn, by osmosis!!!

Acutally, I had my bike doing that at CMP last weekend, but it was from my compression damping on the forks being too stiff. Turned it out a couple of clicks and it went away. It is also possible that you forks are bottoming. You can look up the travel (should be about 4.7 inches) and measure with the forks topped out to see where you will bottom with your ty-wrap.

Get well soon.
Russ