Chest protection.....

thesnowgod

Had a lowside Saturday at NYST. Lost the front going into T14.

Broke three ribs in the back and four in front. I have a A* back protector but thinking now I need something more.

What do you run?

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
Sorry to hear about your lowside. I would recommend Impact Safe-T Armor. I have been wearing both their chest and back protectors for years and really like the product. This is a 'measure to fit' product that is tailored to your body shape. They are a sponsor of N2, and offer active members a discount on a chest and back protector set.

If you are interested in ordering, please contact them directly and they will confirm member status with us.

Impact Safe-T Armor

916 550 2193 shop
916 725 2936 phone/fax

impactarmor@hotmail.com www.impactarmor.com

Motofun352

Control Rider
+1 for safety impact armor. It is somewhat thinner than the others when paired with back and chest armor. Also you can get an Ab protector to help with soft tissue. Finally, like most high quality stuff it gives full top to bottom back protection. It has some holes for ventilation but beware, it is hotter than some of the more porous stuff.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I hear good things about the Impact Armor. Does anyone know what the CE level rating is? Not finding it on the website.

Forcefield makes great stuff, too. Bit thicker, though.

HavocCat

Chris
thesnowgod, which A* back protector do you have? I actually just picked up the bionic race shield from them today, it has quite a bit of extra padding around the ribs and a full chest pad in the front.

Curious as to which one you have cause I may be sending this one back if this is the case!

motorkas

I hear good things about the Impact Armor. Does anyone know what the CE level rating is? Not finding it on the website.

Forcefield makes great stuff, too. Bit thicker, though.

Just last week I replaced my back protector and chest protector (previously was Knox). Also heard nothing but great things about Impact Armor and got a chance to inspect the set at the fund raiser and was definitely impressed. I've never had broken ribs but everybody has the same verdict about them so I was looking for the maximum amount of coverage of that area. I went with the Forcefield rib protector and Pro Sub 4.

Here's my caveat: If I had an off the rack suit, I would have gone with Impact Armor because of it's small profile and the fact that not a lot of room would be needed to accomadate the chest and back protector. However, I had my suit custom sized to fit with the thick Knox chest and back protector I was wearing at the time so I have the room to fit both of the Forcefield pieces. Haven't ridden with them yet but Just got the back protector and the rib protector should be here by the end of the week but I haven't found anything yet that has the rib coverage of the Forcefield rib protector. . .

http://www.google.com/images?client..._group&ei=65YPVNTNAqbksASS-YKoAg&ved=0CC4QsAQ

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I should replace my Knox Contour back protector next season. It's old, the material is wearing. The Forcefield Pro Sub 4 is on my short list. However, my suit is also custom, but without much extra room. The Knox barely fits. Gotta shed a few pounds before next season and see what back protector I can fit in there. The side facing away from me needs to be smooth, not rubbery, so I can slide the leathers over it without assistance. A chest protector is out of the question, unfortunately.

thesnowgod

thesnowgod, which A* back protector do you have? I actually just picked up the bionic race shield from them today, it has quite a bit of extra padding around the ribs and a full chest pad in the front.

Curious as to which one you have cause I may be sending this one back if this is the case!

Havoc,

I have this one http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...2lnlSgabJtDutBeI5ZElOhqAUR0j4c1VdwaAtS48P8HAQ

While I can't say for certain as every impact is different, it did little for my chest despite the various pads on the front. While the back looks well armored, I simply can't zip this on again knowing it did so little for my front. Nothing against A*s or this particular product, I'm simply looking for better protection. I even considered wearing a protective Icon style vest over my leathers but it gives me the "stunter/squid" vibes doing that.

Dave561

Control Rider
Problem is every crash is different. Buy good gear and the rest is chance. I've had several crashes and half were triple digits. From those I have broken a collar bone once and a wicked scar on my calf from another.

glen521

Control Rider
I should replace my Knox Contour back protector next season. It's old, the material is wearing. The Forcefield Pro Sub 4 is on my short list. However, my suit is also custom, but without much extra room. The Knox barely fits. Gotta shed a few pounds before next season and see what back protector I can fit in there. The side facing away from me needs to be smooth, not rubbery, so I can slide the leathers over it without assistance. A chest protector is out of the question, unfortunately.
Judy, dont be so sure. The Impact Safe T is custom fit and they do make them for women and contour to ( ) . The material softens as it gets warmed. I have been wearing one for years.

As Dave says - all crashes are different. I broke ribs also in a highside, landed on my shoulder.....something had to give, no damage to shoulder or neck. I wear the chest protector to stop blunt trauma like hitting the clip-ons dead on.

motorkas

Hey Judy, don't know the CE rating on the impact armor but a little update on my recent chest protector trials for everyone - Got the Forcefield elite, race lite and rib protector. The elite fits incredibly well - no rib coverage (size MD); got the race lite (size large) - too loose - still no rib coverage; the rib protector (size MD) has INCREDIBLE rib coverage (it literally wraps around you) but was too big and even worse, while covering the ribs, I don't think will help protect them (this was based on my purely scientific method of having someone punch me in ribs while wearing it. . .based on that (and the fact that I put on my original Knox chest protector and had them punch me in the ribs again - I'm sending all the forcefield chest proctors back - didn't feel the punch with the Knox - couldn't even tell I had protection on with the Forcefield). . .The pro sub 4 is SWEEEEEEEETTTTTTT - tons of protection (punched in the back - didn't feel a thing), super comfy and fits like a glove). . .

To the OP, havent tried the Impact Armor, but as I said earlier, hear nothing but good things about it but so far, the Knox in the link below is the best chest protector I've come across for rib coverage and protection (it's bulky as hell, but both my brother and I have ridden with them for two seasons now and we don't even notice it when riding - just make sure you have the room in your suit. . .

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=1030

Dave561

Control Rider
Can I punch you in the chest next time I see you to test it? Purely cause I'm a scientist and want to test your hypothesis. :D

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Ok, in case anyone wants to know, Mike at Impact Safe T armor sent a reply in answer to my CE question. Short answer, their stuff exceeds today's current CE level 2 standard. That's the highest. Many back protectors I've seen are Level 1. The Forcefield stuff is also level 2.

motorkas

Can I punch you in the chest next time I see you to test it? Purely cause I'm a scientist and want to test your hypothesis. :D

why not. . .it perfectly compliments the kick in the balls I get every time I hear that rat bike anywhere near my vicinity. . .:D

Thanks Judy for the info!!!!!!

thesnowgod

Thanks everyone, (un)fortunately I have a looooong off season here in NY to further my research but I think you guys gave me a great direction to go in.

BTW, broken ribs suck sooooo much!

borislav

Control Rider
Hey Judy, don't know the CE rating on the impact armor but a little update on my recent chest protector trials for everyone - Got the Forcefield elite, race lite and rib protector. The elite fits incredibly well - no rib coverage (size MD); got the race lite (size large) - too loose - still no rib coverage; the rib protector (size MD) has INCREDIBLE rib coverage (it literally wraps around you) but was too big and even worse, while covering the ribs, I don't think will help protect them (this was based on my purely scientific method of having someone punch me in ribs while wearing it. . .based on that (and the fact that I put on my original Knox chest protector and had them punch me in the ribs again - I'm sending all the forcefield chest proctors back - didn't feel the punch with the Knox - couldn't even tell I had protection on with the Forcefield). . .The pro sub 4 is SWEEEEEEEETTTTTTT - tons of protection (punched in the back - didn't feel a thing), super comfy and fits like a glove). . .

To the OP, havent tried the Impact Armor, but as I said earlier, hear nothing but good things about it but so far, the Knox in the link below is the best chest protector I've come across for rib coverage and protection (it's bulky as hell, but both my brother and I have ridden with them for two seasons now and we don't even notice it when riding - just make sure you have the room in your suit. . .

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=1030
+1 on Knox chest protector, I went down few times with that chest protector and thank God no broken ribs!

glen521

Control Rider
I just spoke with Mike of Impact since my holder was somewhat frayed. I did not realize I have been using it for 8 yrs. He indicated that they have made upgrades and I should send it back for inspection and updates, also stating that some of my original components may be able to be reused. Will let you know when i get it back.............