chest protectors and...airbags?

slowpoke

Curious how many people are using chest protectors under their suits. right now, i'm wearing an alpinestar back protector and thinking about getting an integrated back/chest. any suggestions on brands that are durable but still comfortable? while i was looking at different websites i saw this video for the prototype of the Dianese airbag suit(maybe it's old news already). looks pretty ridiculous and it must suck to be the official dianese 'low-sider'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo9Vlt5tGwY

mattf

I wore a chest protector this past Mon at NJMP under my leathers.....a Bohn Euro. Other than being kind of a pain in the a$$ to put on in conjunction with my back protector, once on I never knew it was there, and once I got the hang of putting it on, then the back protector, then getting it all lined up right, I was popping it all on and off in a matter of seconds between every session. No big deal, tho an integrated deal would be easier I'll admit.

And I never once felt it or thought about it while out on the track, which has gotta say something for it too.

Fastguy

I'm also looking to upgrade. I'm considering the A* Bionic Race shield with the included chest protector.

justariot66

I just ordered a spidi defender chest/back protector, called Nesba first but had to go with kneedraggers.com since they could get it. Its ce level 2 approved so its very good apparently, as I understand it they may be the only place to get it because spidi doesnt import all their stuff to the US but they have a relationship and can get it.
I paid 215.00 for the unit and it seems worth it, the only down side is it will take 3 weeks to get it. I hope to have for august 10th as there is a cornerspeed school on that date and I am thinking of trying it out.

avizpls

#11-A
rossi wears the airbag thing during testing I think. I heard of this on....maybe the Isle of Man TT show?

Trent1098S

I think the airbag idea is pretty cool. Definately gives you an edge if you go down. Gotta wonder a) how much and b) what does it cost to replace after it goes off.

Also.. the big question of the day, what triggers it? It goes off before you're on the ground, so there's gotta be something.. maybe like the iginition tether drag bikes require?

jpj

I purchased the KNOX Gilet Air back and chest protector for trackdays. Nice piece of equipment . Only complaint would be the plastic zipper.

avizpls

#11-A
Also.. the big question of the day, what triggers it? It goes off before you're on the ground, so there's gotta be something.. maybe like the iginition tether drag bikes require?
Thats why they wear it in practice and its not out still. They're analyzing what is acceptable impulse before triggering. Like a heavy wallow in a dip or something will spike the forces you experience, but they need to make sure the treshold for deployment is above that