Chicken Hawk experience

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I have, check that, had a set of Chicken Hawk Pole Position warmers for the past three years. I bought them off another member who had them for about 5 years. This last weekend at Barber took its toll on both the front and rear. The front stopped working altogether and the rear's switch took a shit and I had no idea what temperature it was set at.

A couple weeks ago I tried to do some internet searching to see what people have paid in the past to get them repaired at CHR. That search was less than fruitful other than the fact that I saw a lot of people mentioning CHR saying their warmers were not repairable. However, they would give people $100 off a new set.

I was hesitant, but I packaged them up and sent them off for them to have a look. Got the call today and sure enough, mine are not repairable. Also found out that they would not repair warmers that were older than 6 years. It was not indicated on the repair form or I would have not spent the $20 to ship them out. I did find where they state that fact, but it's buried at the bottom of their "Policies" page. Who the hell looks at a policies page?

I then asked them to ship them back to me and I would do some fiddling over the winter and see if I could fix them myself. They said sure. They would just charge the credit card I listed on the repair form. That was it for me. Told them to throw the things in the trash and I would look at the dozen other places to get tire warmers.

The main reason I a writing this is so that in the future if someone is searching the web about repairing warmers, they might stumble across this thread. Chicken Hawk has a great product, this is true. But I don't like the business practice of telling people their product is bad, but how about purchasing a new set. I especially don't like the fact that there is no reference of a refusal to repair items after a certain age.

I might be by myself with this, but this is just my observation of a company that has a lot of revenue coming in from people like us.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Just to be clear, I wanted to add a couple things. CHR makes a great product. I just didn't like the practice of telling me my warmers were not repairable then selling me a new set. Even if at a discount. I especially don't like the fact that there was no mention of the age situation on the form.

I had the set for three years and they made it through about 30 track days over that time. The guy that had them before me had them for 5 years, but only attended 40-50 days over that time period. They were not perfect the whole time and had to be sent back on two occasions for repair.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I have had repair experience with both CHR and Woodcraft on their tire warmers.

I will not be buying CHR warmers again.

When I bought my first set of warmers, I bought a used set off the WERA classifieds. They were several years old. I used them for almost two years. Rear dual temp one quit working.

I filled out the repair form, sent them to Woodcraft. I made it VERY clear I bought them USED, they were several years old, and way out of warrenty. I asked them to see if they could fix them, and if they couldn't, I was going to use their offer of a $50 credit to a new tire warmer.

They fixed them.

For free.

And mailed them back to me. For free.

Woodcraft makes great products, with kick ass customer service. They got a life long customer here.

z064life

I had my set for 3 years...about 50 trackdays when they went bad. I went with Capit this time...they actually have a 3 year warranty and are waterproof.

Lonewrench

Capit TNT is the finest warmer produced,period. Also in reality the warmers are really only good for about a season in my opinion,after that they need to get a check up or dumpster.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Lonewrench;295134 wrote: Capit TNT is the finest warmer produced,period. Also in reality the warmers are really only good for about a season in my opinion,after that they need to get a check up or dumpster.
Yeah Chuck..but you're one of the finest mechanics ever produced, and we didn't throw you away after one season. :D

Happy Thanksgiving Chuck!

dickiedoo

Sounds like you bought a used product, used it for a reasonable time and didn't like it when someone at the OEM told you they won't/can't fix their old product. I don't see the issue. What do you expect them to do? Maintain an item well past its warranty, and average time in the field? It's not worth their time, and in all honesty it's probably not safe.

You realize that's almost unheard of with goods, and then when they offer you money off a new set you get mad?

CH makes great products, as you stated and they are one of the few TW brands that are still onshore, answer the phone/emails when you contact them, and offer deals for riders.

Toughen up buttercup, and get realistic with an 8 year-old set of warmers.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Thunderace;295092 wrote: It was not indicated on the repair form or I would have not spent the $20 to ship them out. I did find where they state that fact, but it's buried at the bottom of their "Policies" page. Who the hell looks at a policies page?
I especially don't like the fact that there is no reference of a refusal to repair items after a certain age.
Umm....

emry

Personally, I have problems with "disposable" product. Particularity if it is something that on a technical level is a very simple product in terms of repair. It is one thing if an item is unable to be repaired due to cost constraints but tire warmers don't fit that normally. People have been fixing them in their garage for pennies for about as long as they have been available, granted the newer adjustable temp versions have bumped that into dollars but it is still well under the price of replacement.

How miffed would everyone be if when you took a broken '06 motorcycle into a dealership for any failure and they told you, "Nope, can't be fixed... Policy.... But we will give you a discount on a new model, let me introduce you to our salesman."

They seem to have no problem fixing them while the warranty is still intact. :confused:

TurboBlew

Think I paid $120 for my first tyre sox. They arent fancy pants but they are still in service 10+ yrs later.
I dont think Id be happy if a pair of $700 CH warmers failed. Even after 8 seasons.
Seems like there is ALOT of competition out there with long warranties these days

dickiedoo

emry;295175 wrote: Personally, I have problems with "disposable" product. Particularity if it is something that on a technical level is a very simple product in terms of repair. It is one thing if an item is unable to be repaired due to cost constraints but tire warmers don't fit that normally. People have been fixing them in their garage for pennies for about as long as they have been available, granted the newer adjustable temp versions have bumped that into dollars but it is still well under the price of replacement.

How miffed would everyone be if when you took a broken '06 motorcycle into a dealership for any failure and they told you, "Nope, can't be fixed... Policy.... But we will give you a discount on a new model, let me introduce you to our salesman."

They seem to have no problem fixing them while the warranty is still intact. :confused:
I disagree with you. Automobiles and motorized items have some level of expectation on service. Of course you can get a 78' Ols serviced at any GM dealer, and an old honda 50 can still be serviced at a honda dealer, but it stops there.

Name any item that's electrical, or race related (other than bikes, trucks, cars or trailers) that can be sent to the OEM 8 years later and be serviced. Specifically an 8 year-old electronics piece.

I don't know of any computer, lap timer, camera (go pro), Bazzaz, Dyno Jet, etc. that can be sent back 8 years after it was sold and be repaired at the drop of a hat.

The OPs expectations aren't realistic, and neither are yours.

TurboBlew;295177 wrote:
Think I paid $120 for my first tyre sox. They arent fancy pants but they are still in service 10+ yrs later.
I dont think Id be happy if a pair of $700 CH warmers failed. Even after 8 seasons.
Seems like there is ALOT of competition out there with long warranties these days
The best warranty of any "cheaper" warmer brand I know of is 2 years. Name any competitor to CH that's offering service on an 8 year old warmer.

Are you really telling me an $800 set of warmers that's 8 years old going out isn't living up to expectations? That's $100 per year you spend to keep your a$$ safe, heat tires in insane temps and be ripped off at your whim and thrown on the ground. Seems reasonable to me.

noobinacan

It sort of sucks that Jim went thought this...
but IMO, for warmers you get what you paid for. and the rule of thumb is:

If a tool is going to see a lot of use, buy the best you can.
Torque wrench, warmers, safety wire pliers, stands.

There is a difference between a quality warmer and a generic warmer labeled something fancy but doesn't quite do the job.
That said, WC quality, customer service and usability are top notch and that's why I still have a set of those.
Customer service is just as described, repairs are done on time and my warmers have come back looking like new!!!

TurboBlew;295177 wrote: Think I paid $120 for my first tyre sox. They arent fancy pants but they are still in service 10+ yrs later.
different perspective on that same situation:
If CH/WC warmers gave you the safety margin and confidence that you're not going to tuck your front on your out lap.
and helped keep rubber side down. I'd be completely happy after 8 season and feel like I have got my $$$ worth.

when the $120 tyre sox fail on a cool day...the cost difference will add up in parts.

fact is your tyre sox will only get tire temp up to ~ 140-160F if that and only after they've been on for ~ 1hr.
compare that to quality warmer that will get you up to ~200F after 45 mins.
That's a difference between front sliding and not.

I'm not saying go buy $700 warmers, just that if you got something generic and your tire is not as warm as it was when you pitted in...just keep in mind to take it easy during the out lap.

TurboBlew

dickiedoo;295179 wrote:
The best warranty of any "cheaper" warmer brand I know of is 2 years. Name any competitor to CH that's offering service on an 8 year old warmer.

Are you really telling me an $800 set of warmers that's 8 years old going out isn't living up to expectations? That's $100 per year you spend to keep your a$$ safe, heat tires in insane temps and be ripped off at your whim and thrown on the ground. Seems reasonable to me.
Could have sworn someone was offering 3 yr service. Im currently running woodcrafts with no issues and I like the detachable cord feature. They have just under 3yrs of use on them & they were $325 in 2010. In the same amount of service life my CH pros had burn marks & were treated like a silk shirt. Always hung and the thermostats on surge protectors.

But just for giggles...
http://www.chickenhawkracing.com/productDetail.php?m=1&i=3

vs

http://www.motodracing.com/accessories.html#!/~/product/category=3778484&id=12343951

If they are "disposable" as mentioned... $200 goes along way.

JRA

I've had the same issue as the OP but on newer warmers that I purchased new...had that happen twice. I've also had them repaired in the past by CH for a fee. It seems to be a crap shoot at best whether you can have them repaired once the warranty period is up. IMO their service, combined with their ridiculous price, hardly makes them a good value. I'm quite pleased with my Woodcraft warmers and their customer service.

Dunham

I've had a good experience with my Chicken Hawk warmers. I do a lot of days and they have held up well. I've sent 3 warmers in for repair. They fixed 2 of them for a reasonable fee. The 3rd one was old and they gave me a fair deal on a new one. I know several people that have had repeated trouble with their Woodcraft warmers. I am a fan of Woodcraft products but will probably not try their warmers based on friends's experiences. I am curious about Bickle or Capit Warmers for my next purchase.

steve gould

You have to also understand that with the slow influx of new riders, CH has to create a revenue stream somewhere. They have to draw the line on repairs to sell new product. If they didn't, they will inevitably close shop.