Chicken Hawk experience

JVance

If a tire warmer quits working chances are that one of the splices between the heating element and the power cord has a broken wire. Cut the threads loose, examine and repair. These are typically crimped connections that are constantly being pulled and bent. The wire is going to break eventually. Sew it back together and continue using it. Chicken Hawk made it's name through service and they have been able to maintain a premium price for their product because of it. If they are not going to service their product (why would age matter?? Not like the technology has changed in heating elements and nomex...) why would people continue to pay the premium price? Just buy the cheap warmers and consider them disposable or try to repair it yourself when/if it breaks.

Jim, let me know if you decide to cut into it yourself. I'd bet the $4 in my pocket that it is indeed repairable.

TurboBlew

noobinacan;295180 wrote: ...
different perspective on that same situation:
If CH/WC warmers gave you the safety margin and confidence that you're not going to tuck your front on your out lap.
and helped keep rubber side down. I'd be completely happy after 8 season and feel like I have got my $$$ worth.

when the $120 tyre sox fail on a cool day...the cost difference will add up in parts.

fact is your tyre sox will only get tire temp up to ~ 140-160F if that and only after they've been on for ~ 1hr.
compare that to quality warmer that will get you up to ~200F after 45 mins.
That's a difference between front sliding and not.

I'm not saying go buy $700 warmers, just that if you got something generic and your tire is not as warm as it was when you pitted in...just keep in mind to take it easy during the out lap.
But thats just it... the $700 ones may not last that many seasons. My old tyre sox have. Ive never seen a tire that required 200 degrees though my last set of CH pro warmers could be programmed to 212 degrees.

z064life

Dunham;295187 wrote: I've had a good experience with my Chicken Hawk warmers. I do a lot of days and they have held up well. I've sent 3 warmers in for repair. They fixed 2 of them for a reasonable fee. The 3rd one was old and they gave me a fair deal on a new one. I know several people that have had repeated trouble with their Woodcraft warmers. I am a fan of Woodcraft products but will probably not try their warmers based on friends's experiences. I am curious about Bickle or Capit Warmers for my next purchase.
John, I only did barber with my capit warmers but they seemed to be a step above CH. I'll let you know what I think of them next season.

dickiedoo

TurboBlew;295181 wrote: Could have sworn someone was offering 3 yr service. Im currently running woodcrafts with no issues and I like the detachable cord feature. They have just under 3yrs of use on them & they were $325 in 2010. In the same amount of service life my CH pros had burn marks & were treated like a silk shirt. Always hung and the thermostats on surge protectors.

But just for giggles...
http://www.chickenhawkracing.com/productDetail.php?m=1&i=3

vs

http://www.motodracing.com/accessories.html#!/~/product/category=3778484&id=12343951

If they are "disposable" as mentioned... $200 goes along way.
I totally agree with you on the $200 going a long way. I've owned CH, WC, T2, MotoGP, and numerous off brands. I ran the off brands for a long time due to the cost. The truth is that they work, but not as well. None of them get as hot as quickly as CH, but then again they are less than half. :D

emry

dickiedoo;295179 wrote: I disagree with you. Automobiles and motorized items have some level of expectation on service.

The OPs expectations aren't realistic, and neither are yours.
My expectations are that anything that I buy that can be reasonably repaired should be. Blanket "we don't fix that" policies are merely a poor customer service problem.

As consumers our expectations set the standards for companies. While I admit my expectations are high, I work hard for my money and my employer has high expectations for the work I produce.

As for repairing, someone already mentioned finding the broken wire in the heating element. Electronic models that have adjustable temps look up Johnson Controls A419, last one I got was $60 shipped. Don't over think what a tire warmer really is, it is nothing more than an funny shaped heated blanket.

Expecting an opportunity to repair an on 8 year old tire warmer is perfectly reasonable, the parts haven't changed.

dickiedoo

emry;295221 wrote: My expectations are that anything that I buy that can be reasonably repaired should be. Blanket "we don't fix that" policies are merely a poor customer service problem.
.Agreed, and CH doesn't have that policy.

emry;295221 wrote:

As consumers our expectations set the standards for companies. While I admit my expectations are high, I work hard for my money and my employer has high expectations for the work I produce.
We all do, and no one is arguing that high expectations are a bad thing.

emry;295221 wrote:

Expecting an opportunity to repair an on 8 year old tire warmer is perfectly reasonable, the parts haven't changed.
Apparently it's not reasonable. Know how I know? Because no one in this industry does it. :D

Sure, you can probably hack it hack together, and I could duct tape my soles on my worn out shoes, upgrade the OS on my Commodore 64, and put new pads in my 13 year old Arai. Everything has a point of diminishing returns... these warmers are there per the manufacturer.

noobinacan

TurboBlew;295198 wrote: But thats just it... the $700 ones may not last that many seasons. My old tyre sox have. Ive never seen a tire that required 200 degrees though my last set of CH pro warmers could be programmed to 212 degrees.
dickiedoo;295218 wrote:
I totally agree with you on the $200 going a long way. I've owned CH, WC, T2, MotoGP, and numerous off brands. I ran the off brands for a long time due to the cost. The truth is that they work, but not as well. None of them get as hot as quickly as CH, but then again they are less than half. :D

For me, after a session if I put a pyrometer on the tire(dunlop slicks), it will read ~ 200F
This depends on your pace, riding, bike, ambient temp, pavement temp, suspension, bike setup, tire pressures ++

I want to go out with what I came in, give you confidence in the front to have that temp on your out lap. that's all.

I can remember four major incidents this year which were directly due to tire not being up to temp

1) RA t6 sliding (out of the pits, cold tire) - http://youtu.be/lL8EMJiK67c?t=44s
2) VIR t4 sliding (out of the pits, cold tire) - http://youtu.be/Na3psfCzTY0?t=5m43s
3) VIR t9 - earlier in that session the guy on the R6 who highsided top of the hill, cold tire!!
4) Bo's rear end crash at Barber(to me, looks like cold rear tire, will let Bo speak to it) - http://youtu.be/QPGhT6VBUBE?t=1m40s

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
dickiedoo;295146 wrote: Sounds like you bought a used product, used it for a reasonable time and didn't like it when someone at the OEM told you they won't/can't fix their old product. I don't see the issue.

Toughen up buttercup, and get realistic with an 8 year-old set of warmers.
dickiedoo;295179 wrote:
The OPs expectations aren't realistic, and neither are yours.
Did you even read my comments? I never complained about the fact that they wouldn't fix my warmers. I complained that their repair policy is not clearly indicated on their repair form. I complained that their repair policy is buried in their website where 99% of the visitors would probably never go. I complained about pilicies only. I even commended them on their product. I only postd this message so that in the future when someone is searching this very subject, they will be informed as to the real repair policy of CHR.

Trust me, my feelings are not hurt by CHR response. I just know where my money is going to go when it is time to buy another set.

JVance;295195 said:
Chicken Hawk made it's name through service and they have been able to maintain a premium price for their product because of it. If they are not going to service their product (why would age matter?? Not like the technology has changed in heating elements and nomex...) why would people continue to pay the premium price? Just buy the cheap warmers and consider them disposable or try to repair it yourself when/if it breaks.QUOTE]

:agree:

For around $800, I'd expect a better product and quite frankly a better answer than what Ace got.

R1Baby

Control Rider
There must be a reason CH would chose not to repair the warmers. I have had mine for 8 years and there were repaired once. It could be that CH feels it is not feasible to repair warmers of a certain age for the reason that Chuck stated, only good for so long. Could be that the wire used is only good for so much use and to repair a set older than 6 years where the wire could fail soon. I have heated clothing and in the past few years, there have been huge strides in the technology used to make them warmer, lighter and last longer. Maybe CH has done the same and feels it is not worth the time and effort to repair the older type. And since they feel it is not worth the time and effort to fix, I think it is a nice gesture to offer a credit of $100 towards the purchase of a new set. How many companies doing anything like that these days.

spyda1000

warmer

I brought a pair of CH warmers off Ebay in very good condition. used them for 4 yrs.
then the elastic on the front one came loose. i sent it in and they called and offered credit on a new pair. i asked them to repair the old ones only. they did that and i've had no problems.
the guy did say they seem to be in good condition....
i just hate defective tire warmers to ruin a track day.
i don't really check them in the off season..

Ruhe52

Hmmm I have had someone with far more experience and knowledge on the subject tell me you should roll them when they come
Off. Hanging the wires sag and cause hot spots IE wires bunch up.
Of course I challenged it and called BS then I started noticing that Val's guys do it Jorge guys do it Nicky's guys do it. So I said hey lets give it a try. Call it coincidence but have not had an issue with any brand since.

Ruhe52;295771 wrote: Hmmm I have had someone with far more experience and knowledge on the subject tell me you should roll them when they come
Of course I challenged it and called BS then I started noticing that Val's guys do it Jorge guys do it Nicky's guys do it. So I said hey lets give it a try. Call it coincidence but have not had an issue with any brand since.
The same guy told me the same thing!!!! Imagine that. My warmers were manufactured by CHR but they have a special logo on them and that makes them better.:D

Hey Mike---check your email Brother

j_fuggin_t

I had chicken hawks then swapped them out for woodcrafts last year, they were garbage, couldn't get the rear tire past 160 degrees and the front I'd be lucky to see 155 after an hour, sent them in and same thing, but that's the china bi product. I bought a pretty much new set of pole positions from a buddy and haven't had a problem getting a tire up to temp. I'm with rhue, taking care of them is something I rarely see ANYONE do, they rip them off the wheel and toss them etc. take the time to lay them down and they will be fine for years. I've also learned in this game that ANY and everyone that uses warmer's should have a spare set no matter what brand they have.

noupf

Ruhe52;295771 wrote: Hmmm I have had someone with far more experience and knowledge on the subject tell me you should roll them when they come
i dont quite understand how hanging them would cause bunching and hot spots? Wouldnt gravity take care of keeping them linear and not bunched up like tossing them on the ground? Rolling may work fine as well, since its a nice and neat way to keep them stored until the session is over, but i dont see how hangin them and letting them stay linear would be any worse.