Child on motorcycle.

bodell

Several years ago, while traveling abroad, I purchased a GIVI motorcycle child seat. I had no children at the time, but felt that it was a rare opportunity and snatched it up.

My son is nearly 3 now so I decided to fit the seat to my Concours for a test run thru the neighborhood. Needless to say, he loved it. The seat is very well made and attaches in a way that gives me 100% confidence in its safety.

I did some research and in NC there is no age requirement for a child passenger. The only requirement is that the child's feet must reach the footrests, which they do.

I plan on taking him for some leisurely back road rides and bike nights once his street gear arrives. (He only has moto gear currently)

I know that my parents will have a heart attack when they see the attached photos or hear my plans. I am just curious to see how well they go over here.

Duts87ss

As long as YOU feel comfortable with him riding on the back at his age, I don't see a problem. I didn't put my daughter on the back until she was 6, but my son may get to ride before then. I knew that my daughter wouldn't pay enough attention to staying on the bike any younger; my son seems to be a bit more coordinated.

JohnS

If anyone says anything to you show them this......
dumbASS.jpg

speedfree

My son is seven, and he's done a couple days in excess of a hundred miles (& one 200 mile day!) on the back. I'd consider a buddy belt, only because my little guy will actually fall asleep on the twistiest road of the day, almost without fail :)

...another fool on his phone.

JBZ1k

speedfree;245825 wrote: My son is seven, and he's done a couple days in excess of a hundred miles (& one 200 mile day!) on the back. I'd consider a buddy belt, only because my little guy will actually fall asleep on the twistiest road of the day, almost without fail :)

...another fool on his phone.
I could only see the first part of your post in the preview and I thought you were saying in excess of 100 miles...per hour. Lol it freaked me out and I don't even have kids...

Back on topic. I still remember the first time I road on back through the subdivision with my dad and I was only 5... From that day on I knew I loved motorcycles. I think it's a great Idea if you feel safe about it.

bodell

I appreciate all of the responses so far.

Let me add that I live on the absolute outskirts of town and am considering 3 places to take the boy.

I think it would be cool to pick him up from preschool once a week. It would be fun to take him to bike night at Easy Eddies, and he could ride with me to the BW Fuel Warehouse.

All of these rides would be under 15 miles, on single lane, 45 mph country roads.

As for gear, I have ordered him a HJC full face helmet, and this jacket. http://www.ebay.com/itm/XS-XL-ALLSTATE-BOY-KID-CHILD-LEATHER-MOTORCYCLE-JACKET-/230640483411?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b33e7c53 He also has boots and jeans.

I don’t know if this changes anyone's opinion, but I wanted to be clear that I am not looking for daily shirtless wheelies thru rush hour traffic.

Landshark

Control Rider
I don't think a small child has the motor skill coordination or strength to react in such a way as to prevent falling.
If some unfortunate incident should happen are you prepared for that?
I know you are creative enough to find another way to share 15 minutes with your son doing something you enjoy as much as ridding.

Since I have two small children (6 and almost 2) I have given this issue much thought and for me, I cannot except someone taking me out through no fault of my own with my oldest child on the back.

If possible, can you afford a 100cc-125 two stroke dirtbike for yourself and get your little man a 50cc Yamaha PW50 and ride around together in field?

That way you guys get to ride together but avoid the unpredictable asshats on the road.

Just a thought.

BZ

HighWay

In this day and age most people are overprotective. Remember true safety is an illusion, nobody knows what is going to happen from one moment to the next. Don’t let life pass you up because of what “might” happen.

I’m sure you will catch hell from a lot of people but if you feel its safe and your son is having fun have at it.

bodell;245850 wrote: I appreciate all of the responses so far.

Let me add that I live on the absolute outskirts of town and am considering 3 places to take the boy.

I think it would be cool to pick him up from preschool once a week. It would be fun to take him to bike night at Easy Eddies, and he could ride with me to the BW Fuel Warehouse.

All of these rides would be under 15 miles, on single lane, 45 mph country roads.

As for gear, I have ordered him a HJC full face helmet, and this jacket. http://www.ebay.com/itm/XS-XL-ALLSTATE-BOY-KID-CHILD-LEATHER-MOTORCYCLE-JACKET-/230640483411?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b33e7c53 He also has boots and jeans.

I don’t know if this changes anyone's opinion, but I wanted to be clear that I am not looking for daily shirtless wheelies thru rush hour traffic.
it doesn't matter where you'll go or the distance traveled. anything can and everything will happen; moreover, most accidents occur within a few miles of home.
still, I say do it. what are we gonna do? sit in a padded room all day for fear of living? there's a better chance, statistically, that he'll slip in the bathroom and bash his head open. you will always find those who think we're insane for riding at all, much less taking a child along.

I think Landshark (http://www.myspace.com/video/t-inc/land-shark/46950682) has a good point ("I don't think a small child has the motor skill coordination or strength to react in such a way as to prevent falling".) and BZ's idea (a 100cc-125 two stroke dirtbike for yourself and get your little man a 50cc Yamaha PW50 and ride around together in field) is good too.

“Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature nor do the children of man as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.” Helen Keller

Gorecki

I'm sort of torn and feeling I’m going to come from the place of being overly protective. My only real thought is does that little buddy bucket have a restraint? Little ones (hell even my 17 yr old) fall asleep at the drop of a hat and if anything sudden happens are they secure? At the exact same time I think, well if they’re strapped in and something goes horribly wrong, they’re tied on to the bike where otherwise could be thrown clear?...six of one, half dozen of another.

I do have memories of riding on the tank as a wee tike and can’t help but think that somehow contributed to my interests today, but also can’t help but think, if something would have gone wrong, I would have been a bug on a windshield.

FWIW..

beac83

I see the issue as one of the child's ability to understand and comply with the need to sit still and ride. Some kids will be able to do this, some won't. If a child can't sit and enjoy the ride, and is climbing all over the bike, it's not appropriate to take the child with you. If the child has the temperament to sit and enjoy the ride, the maturity to understand the need to not make sudden moves or suddenly demand your attention, then the child will not create additional danger by being on the bike.

However, the roads are not safe. Not in a car, not on a bike. Something can always happen. In cars, we have car seats and airbags and such to protect the occupants. Not so much on the bike. While I have made a conscious choice to accept the additional risk of riding a motorcycle on public roads, I'm not sure how I feel about making that choice for my child - or for anyone else for that matter. But good on you for getting him gear. Its not unusual to see kids with no gear at all on the back of bikes around here.

ChasingChaos

I have 3 children and they all started riding dirt as soon as they were off training wheels and behind me on the street as soon as their feet could touch the pegs. I grew up doing the same and share a love for motorcycles with my parents and now share that with my kids. It's an awesome time of connection that car rides can't transcend. I would only do it if your wife is on board because if something did happen you don't want additional drama and blame. I bought headsets so we can talk to make sure they are awake and now that they are older I talk about looking through the turns and I let them steer with weight shifting from the back and demonstrate exaggerated counter steering. I recently discussed buying a convertible with the family instead of another motorcycle and my kids in unison cried no we want another motorcycle. It is a wonderful sharing time and has generated great memories for two generations in my family already.

Anytime Bodell, glad to see your trying to ask a question attempting to lead to bigger questions and maybe some understanding on a child riding on a street bike as it is obvious you want to share the joy two wheels has brought to you and share with your son.

We motorcyclists are a strange breed. We accept a level of risk that most do not understand and most are completely ignorant when trying to understand. I cannot get over how members of our society will heap hot coals on my head for track riding, yet these same people have 2 to 3 beers at Hooters during Happy Hour and drive their car or truck home and not think of the risk they put themselves in let alone the other people out on the road beside them! But this isn’t about a diatribe against the ironies, misconceptions and outright ignorance displayed by American society with risk and risk taking. This is about the risks and fun we enjoy and trying to share it with those we love. I know what it’s like to have your little man want to imitate you, be with you and ride with you. Cuz right now in his life there is no cooler person on this Earth than Dad. Right now is the perfect time to start motorcycle training and awareness. But also, right know you are introducing your son to an immense level of risk. Remember, you have long accepted (or maybe denied I don’t know) the highs and possible lows of riding. But when you put your son on the back you are accepting that risk in his behalf. He’s too young to comprehend what you know can happen. At this time he only wants to be with you and experience the joy of two wheels.

We’ll be interested to see what you decide.

Peace,

BZ

PrideandJoy

Not having any children myself, I don't feel qualified to pass judgement regarding your risk assessment/risk management on whether it's OK to take your young son with you for rides on a motorcycle. BUT, I would like to pass along that some of my earliest, and most fond memories of my father involve a motorcycle. Some 44 or maybe 45 years ago (I’m now 48), I remember sitting on the gas tank and holding on to the crossbar between the handlebars as we’d head off for adventure. Some were of short duration, but others were longer – an overnight camping trip to sleep on the big rocks of the Big Bear National Forrest area and riding down various old “fire roads” in Southern California bring back a virtual flood of awesome, cherished times.

By today’s standards, perhaps someone would have called Child Services to press charges against my Dad. Somehow, our modern society has deemed itself more capable of making decisions for the full spectrum of our population at the expense of the opportunity and accountability of the individuals enjoying the right, and privilege to do so for and by themselves. (I’ll stop here as I don’t want to risk getting off topic and into politics – no offense intended!)

All things aside, it is much more popular today to “Monday morning quarterback” or second guess someone’s decision making. I applaud your efforts to seek opinions of others; I don’t envy your position as you carefully consider the risks and rewards of your decision. For what it’s worth, my Dad’s decision to introduce me to the wonder of motorcycling at a very young age provided a strong bond and common area of interest that we have enjoyed for a lifetime. All the best to you and yours in whatever you decide is best for you and your son!

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Dude, that seat is awesome. I can't decide whether or not I would do it. The only reservation I would have is the fact that such a small person is right behind me, and there's no way to see what is going on to possibly act pre-emptively. That is the only real issue I'd have with it. Sidecars, no question I would take my kids out. I take my 4 year old son and almost-3 daughter on my Zuma around the neighborhood and back on the nature trail all the time. But they ride sitting right in front of me, so I always see what they're doing.

The decision is totally yours. As for me, I don't even risk my OWN safety by riding on the street anymore. BTW, I wish my kids were that good on a Razor. I got them both Strider bikes and my son can almost ride with his feet up.