Chrome Vinyl Decal Usage

Gorecki

Yeah, I almost feel a little lame even asking this but I'm just trying to figure out what direction I'm going.

My desire if for silver in color decals. My concern is I will likely be getting decals from multiple sources so I'm a little afraid of what one calls silver may be different from what another calls silver.

So my alternate thinking is maybe going chrome instead as they all appear to be basically mirror reflective.

This will be basically all main decals, bike numbers, make, model...etc

Is there anything super wrong with this idea? Is it lame? Is there any gotcha's I'm not aware of? :dunno:

betarace

cheap-gold-grills.jpg

JohnS

as for the chrome, what about the reflection from the sun blinding other riders and the corner workers? The decals probably would not be a problem but the numbers will be pretty big I would think.

Gorecki

betarace;204243 wrote: (SNIP)
Yeah, not really looking to go there and largely why I ask. It's one thing to go bling, it's another to go bling on a old and busted POS which is another level lame.

JohnS;204244 wrote:
as for the chrome, what about the reflection from the sun blinding other riders and the corner workers? The decals probably would not be a problem but the numbers will be pretty big I would think.
That's what I was thinking too, but an example being a corner worker I've seen a few bikes with some chrome decals in races and a lot of reflective visors which I wear as well. So if club racing allows it to a degree...sort of thing?

Again, it's not that I really want it and the more I think about it, the more I don't and just may have to settle for the possiblity of some slightly differing tones of silver (which sucks).

The logical solution is to have one source cut all the vinyl from the same stock but I haven't knocked on that door yet.

gkotlin

Gorecki;204257 wrote: Yeah, not really looking to go there and largely why I ask. It's one thing to go bling, it's another to go bling on a old and busted POS which is another level lame.

That's what I was thinking too, but an example being a corner worker I've seen a few bikes with some chrome decals in races and a lot of reflective visors which I wear as well. So if club racing allows it to a degree...sort of thing?

Again, it's not that I really want it and the more I think about it, the more I don't and just may have to settle for the possiblity of some slightly differing tones of silver (which sucks).

The logical solution is to have one source cut all the vinyl from the same stock but I haven't knocked on that door yet.
I can't imagine a rider being blinded by the decal. On a curved surface, the angle of deflection and surface area is so small. If anything, it might be a quick reflection, but I can't believe it would blind them and send them off to crash.

Every manufacturer's colors could very a bit. What they call colors can be different as well. Yellow, Daffodil, Sunshine, etc. all yellow. But each might be a slightly different shade. If you want to try a few decals in chrome, let me know. Ironically, I just finished cutting some number borders in chrome about 2 hours ago, so it's all loaded up and ready :)

If you're shopping for stickers be sure they use use quality vinyl. Some vinyls are thin. Bleed color through. The don't adhere well, and edges work loose. I sold numbers to someone this weekend. He bought his numbers on ebay. They flew off in his first race this weekend.

sobottka

the mirrored blue i used on my bike is actually an aluminum foil like stuff and it doesnt conform to curved or rounded surfaces.
greg- is there such a thing as chrome /mirrored vinyl that does?

Gorecki

sobottka;204267 wrote: the mirrored blue i used on my bike is actually an aluminum foil like stuff and it doesnt conform to curved or rounded surfaces.
greg- is there such a thing as chrome /mirrored vinyl that does?
I've seen some (not huge) over curved surfaces that weren't distorted, but any imperfection under the vinyl screamed. But you were asking greg so... :eek:

gkotlin;204264 wrote:

If you're shopping for stickers be sure they use use quality vinyl. Some vinyls are thin. Bleed color through. The don't adhere well, and edges work loose. I sold numbers to someone this weekend. He bought his numbers on ebay. They flew off in his first race this weekend.
Thanks for chiming in Greg,

The more I look into this the more my head spins. I'm seeing now, if I want to have THE SAME color, it needs to come from the same vinyl source maybe even the same roll. Ultimately chrome isn't what I want (but I have to admit chrome border on numbers sounds sort of fun).

Ultimately I want to turn this
My Track Bike
Summit_Main.jpg

Into more like this
My Street Bike
Gorecki_ZX6R_Ride.jpg

And not go broke in the process of adding a slight pretty to my ole mule tracker. I'm not going to blacken the frame or swing arm. But you get the basic idea. I want some somewhat fun silver based numbers, OE like silver Kawi decals, a particular chinese symbol (personal reason), NESBA and based on cost some specified vendors/sponsors. Pretty much all in silver.

If you can help me Greg, I would much rather throw my resources to at nesba brother. And we can appropriately take this to PM (or whatever) if you wish.

gkotlin

The reflective vinyls are thicker then the typical vinyl. Metallic vinyls like the engine turned gold are definitely not going to conform to round surfaces as well as normal vinyl. There are some vinyls that have thin amounts of metal in them to be true to color and tone, but work best on flat surfaces. All those types don't work nearly as well as a wrap material does.

I've not done to much with the chrome and other metal styled vinyls other then on flat surfaces or small amounts like the outline of numbers.

They most definitely will show more flaws underneath. Put something like a large 6 inch circle on glass, it looks great. Put it over some track plastics that have been repaired and the contours and shape isn't consistent, and you will notice it. Kind of like poor prep work on a black paint job.

Rob, if you want to try some things, PM me and we'll cut them and share our findings.

sobottka

Gorecki;204278 wrote: I've seen some (not huge) over curved surfaces that weren't distorted, but any imperfection under the vinyl screamed. But you were asking greg so... :eek:
thats why i ask. i noticed last weekend at the ccs races that jeff purk and garrick schniderman have really nice chrome on their r6 side panels and its holding up much better than what i used.