Class M license

riddler

A neighbor of mine stopped in one day while I was prepping for a track day. We talked bikes for a while (which I can't resist, but resulted in a late night fitting my new bodywork) and we ended up doing a street ride to BHF to watch some CCS racing.

Talking after the ride I was trying to get him to try out a NESBA day, finally he admitted to not having a motorcycle license. (Note: I do, don't flame me). Well since then I have been trying to get him to get a license, and to join NESBA. Well at this point I think I have a better chance of getting him to join NESBA (or a better chance of seeing god in my cornflakes) than getting him to get the license. :dunno:

I looked at the manual and there is no reference to having a license. He is a competent rider, that would benefit from some track time and CR instruction. Plus I like bringing newbies, their enthusiasm is contagious.

Can someone confirm if a Class M on your license is req'd to participate in a track day?

Thanks in advance,
John

strgt

Its not, I dont have one and they let me in! Never been asked for one so id assume it would be alright.

beac83

The state of Illinois does not require a M license to operate a motorcycle (over 150cc) on private property. Perhaps a Director can clarify what NESBA assumes/requires.

JonGu

Dude, how freaking hard is it go take the test and get an M license? Jeez... tell your friend to man up!

Or even better, just get him to sell off his street bikes and ride track exclusively as many of us have done.

riddler

JonGu;9068 wrote: Dude, how freaking hard is it go take the test and get an M license? Jeez... tell your friend to man up!

Or even better, just get him to sell off his street bikes and ride track exclusively as many of us have done.
Did you man up and get a pilot's license before trying to fly??? ;)

Seriously, I agree with Sparky... there are police for the streets already and if he wants to take the chance of a big fine... thats his prob...

I am just doing my part for NESBA recruitment and his last 'excuse' is that he has no license.

rk97

I don't know why, but some people are full of excuses... I try not to 'push' my addiction on other people, but I love my brother enough to force him into an "intro" day.

It's to the point where I am volunteering my bike and all my gear. I just want to get him out there for 2 sessions (while I sit, mind you) and get him hooked.

I know he'll love it, but yeah, I wouldn't mind splitting gas and a trailer either :D hook the neighbor; cut your travel expenses in half!!

JonGu

riddler;9078 wrote: Did you man up and get a pilot's license before trying to fly??? ;)
Hahaha, fortunately I didn't need one. I was simply the passenger in that flight. Gotta hand it to the pilot though, he stuck the landing perfectly.

It's seriously hard as hell trying to get people to come to the track... even other riders, always the same excuses, not enough experience, don't wanna crash, not enough money, no proper gear etc... even when I offer to let them borrow my bikes and gear and stuff still I can't convince anyone to come. :dunno: Maybe they just know better and don't let themselves fall into addictive behaviors...

twin ty

After taking another look at the manual, its not stated that any type of license is required for an event . Having a race license is mentioned, then you would be on the speed train to "A". Just think of the Red Bull Rookies, they are barely even old enough to sit in the front seat by themselves but they kick arse racing on the track. How did the ride go John?

Ty

Sparky

JonGu;9166 wrote: Maybe they just know better and don't let themselves fall into addictive behaviors...
That's why I wont try paint ball. I already know I'll like it, but have enough summer hobbies.

rk97

twin ty;9181 wrote: Just think of the Red Bull Rookies, they are barely even old enough to sit in the front seat by themselves but they kick arse racing on the track.
those kids are fearless! I wish my parents had been that freakin sweet! my kids are going to be fast as hell. i vow it. :saythat:

riddler

Ty,

the ride was good. Watching a car track day was a little bit of torture. I can't wait for BHF. Watching the cars was pretty cool, but I felt for the guy that wadded up his Mustang coming out of Canada corner... but I just assume they are all rich as hell. The other cool thing was watching the flames come out of the calipers under braking into turn 5... again they must be rich as hell.

I wouldn't trade bikes though... even if I had all the money in world. If I was rich... I would do 50 days per year instead of 10-12.

Only bad point of the ride was sitting out a thunderstorm under an overpass... but it wasn't too long.

BigKid

I think you find some of the track only guys do not have a street licsense. Think about it, get hooked on the track, sell off the street bikes, ride track only, when and how would you get a street lisense. BTW I know of some racers who lost their liscense so they turned to track riding only. I use to ride on the street occasionaly until I got 3 tickets in less than 3 days last year. All three were complete BS, in fact one cop told me, "do you really want to know how fast you were going" to which I replied "yes", he replied "I am only giving you a ticket for exceeding the speed limit right now, sign the ticket". So I sign the ticket and he tells me I would have loved to have had your speed coming up the mountain, I only got you in the corner and it was fast". I asked "how fast?" and he said "fast". The next day I get another one for traveling in a pack of 11 bikes, one of us was going 60 in a 55 so we all got tickets. I think they call it hillbilly justice. Last time I make the annual pilgramage to Deals Gap.

riddler

gkotlin;11071 wrote: No license? Lame. There are starting to be openings in the MSF courses each weekend as the season winds down and people don't show up. Heck it's free! There is no excuse for not having a license. http://www.outreach.niu.edu/mcycle/brc.shtml
Greg, I agree. Thanks for the link... I am trying to get my GF into that course.

For the record, in regard to the guy with no license that prompted the start of this thread...
Now that his excuses for coming to a NESBA day are gone... he hasn't answered my text messages :notsure:

His loss BHF hear I come!