Clear coat on race plastics

Vampyre

I am rattle can painting my Optima racing plastics. I sanded, primered and painted, and all looks great.
The problem is my clear coating over the semi flat black paint. I am using Krylon gloss clear coat, and it provides some dull spots, as well mostly glossy finish.
No matter how many layers, or how even I spray, I still get these dull spots.
I am thinking of switching to semi gloss or flat clear coat.
Anyone experience this, or have ideas?

betarace

the clear needs to be compatible with the color coat... is one a laquer and one an enamel? could be an issue.. also, did you let the color coat set up (a week or so) in a 65+ degree dry environment?

I found that a light wet sand of the base (after a long cure time) and a clean prep (no fingerprints or wax) using a surface prep works wonders.

Also, let the clear set up a very long time (again 2 weeks) in a dry environment, wet sand to a dull haze with 1200-2000 paper and then a power buff with a polishing compound works miracles...

time and cleanliness are your friends

sobottka

these dull spots (along with the rest of the body) probably need wet sanded and polished to have a uniform shine, thats the nature of lacquer

JVance

Sounds like dry spots to me. Spray cans are really hard to get on wet enough to avoid dry spots without running.

Booty Freak

Personally, I think clear coating a rattle can job is over kill.
I did up my bike with $40 bucks worth of Krylon Fusion from Wal Mart.

JenningsGP014.jpg

JenningsGP132.jpg

gkotlin

Just use Krylon. If your not going to use a good clear coat, then don't bother. Automotive clear with hardner will work great. Can clear is just crappy clear rattle can paint. It didn't do a bit of good on my bikes.

aowens2

Personally, I don't think you can beat the flat black job with a stick, whatta ya think? Took maybe 4 hours total to strip decals, sand by hand, primer, and put on a couple layers.

"A SCUFF!! OH NO! WHAT TO DO? JUST HIT THAT PUPPY UP WITH A SHOT OF FLAT BLACK, AIN'T NO PROBLEM!":cool:

Rick Johnson

I agree that a clear coat on a spray paint job is kind of a waste of money.I went with Dupi color
glossy black.It's not the greatest paint but when I was finished it actually looked decent with a
pretty good shine without a clear coat.

jimgl3

correct me if i'm wrong... but isn't the clear coat needed to protect the paint from fuel spills? i didn't put 5 cans of it on mine to get a shine, but to protect the paint from fuel spills. ????

unless of course you're painting it with an engine enamel...

ronhix

I'm gonna get my bikes wrapped this year. I've struggled with paint every year and have had mixed results. It's pretty inexpensive so I'm gonna give it a try.