Clipons positioning question

dude

I just put some woodcraft clipons on my zx10 and was wondering what effect does changing the angle have (wider vs narrower) besides just general comfort. It seems the stock was narrower that what feels natural and comfortable to me but i am just curious how handling is impacted by bolting the bars wider by an inch for example... Any thoughts appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

noobinacan

if you go wider, you'll notice two things:
- better front end feel when braking hard.
- easier to move the bike left to right in slow speed stuff.

start in the middle somewhere. even where OEM were and try it.
after you warmup, move them out a little, see if you like them.

Irish01

Good question, I agree with Aman, I measured the stock clip-ons or what was left of them and went from there. Chuck at PC and a couple of other friends said wider is better for better control and feel and I'm leaning towards agreeing yet part of me likes the tight feel as well. IT IS YOUR PREFERENCE and how YOU like it so experiment, I would make a small mark where it meets the fork tube and do it increments of 1/8" at a time till you find the right position.

madriders86

I think having them more inward makes it easier if you like to get your body off the bike a whole lot. Wider gives you more steering leverage, which will help the bike feel more flickable. Depends on your body type and riding style...maybe even the track.

dude

Thanks for the replies guys. Based on what you guys are saying it seems I'll just have to try it out and see how it feels but at least now I know what to expect rather than hopping on the bike without any blasted idea of what I just did.

On a related note, any thoughts in regards to adjusting the length of the clipons and what I should expect by say making them longer or shorter?

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
Aman and Dave have it, but I want to add something from an ergonomic stand point. If you splay the bars wider it will reduce the amount of pressure put on your wrists and reduce the possibility of wrist fatigue.

When your upper body comes off the bike your wrist bends laterally. Wrist rotation in this direction is limited and when the bars are moved inward there is more pressure on the wrist joint. If they are wider there is less pressure on the wrist joint. May not seem like a big deal, but if you ride a lot, you may start to notice this. Same goes for the angle of the brake and clutch levers. If they are too high, it keeps your wrists in a bent position and can contribute to fatigue. Controls should be located so that your wrist stays as close to straight when sitting on the bike.

When you adjust them make sure you sit on the bike and move the bars side to side to full lock with your hands (and gloves) on the controls to make sure you do not pinch your fingers or the controls hit your bodywork. When you ride it for the first time it may feel a bit awkward. Just give it some time. It made a world of difference for me.

dude

That was awesome and i apreciate you taking the time to respond! Kind of new to the whole track day thing but you're right about this actually the A* gloves i have almost adhere to that same wrist bend limitation and its gotten in the way a couple of times when the suit sleeve ends up bunching up a little in the front. Restricts the lateral wrist bend even more. I will definitely run them wider than stock and ill just have to figure out how much on-track.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

YZROOSTINYA

Control Rider
I grew up riding dirtbikes, I have mine almost 90 degrees. I have cut the fairing away for clearance. it is all preference.

YZROOSTINYA

Control Rider
As curtis was saying lever position is a big thing too. I have mine at prob around 30-45 degrees. Carmichael used to run his around 100-110 degrees. I have no clue how anyone can ride this way but it obviously worked for him!