Clutch Advice

CIKI

I'm coming up on 18k on my 06' 636 and its time for the clutch to get a new life line. Would up grading to a Kevlar set up be overkill? I'm doing 5-8 track days a year on top of occasional street riding.:doh:

dale.b

I've done a ton of trackdays on the stock clutch without a problem (over 80??). Certainly how you use the clutch would play a factor, but I can't see a good reason to justify an aftermarket clutch on the '06 636 if you are doing only 5-8 trackdays a year.

zangman

I put a Barnetts Kevlar clutch set in my '04 636 and the only negative is that initially it is TIGHT! Specs are spot on but the friction is a bit higher than the stock clutch. Took a while for it to wear a little, especially since I use synthetic. If I ever need another I'll use the stock discs and plates.

Joe Vital

Does the Barnett kit even allow for clutch stack height adjustment? The website does not say, or at least I cannot find it if it is there.

In your case, with the way the slipper clutch on that bike works, I'd say stick with the stock components.

physicistkev

Control Rider
With clutches, stock is usually the best. If you want stiffer springs then aftermarket is a good choice but for drive and driven plates I would always stick with stock.

ThePro8

Stock clutch plates work great. If you upgrade, forget about the plates and get a slipper clutch.

snikwad

22k miles and going 5 years on the original clutch, no slipping.

stop doing wheelies and drag racing.

dmb367

I had to adjust the clutch cables on my 636 a few times with only 8k on it. Seriously, check the cables down by the clutch cover, there's a little adjuster thingy down there that can get out of whack.

And yes, 06 636 has a slipper.

Lenny ZX9R

Control Rider
69 track days and still going strong, Oh add 3 race weekends to that. The stock clutch is great! Whenever this one needs to be replaced, I'll get another stock one!