Clutch Switch

Honey Badger

I'm a new rider with very little motorcycle knowledge trying to get ready for the track. I've been looking to switch out my clutch(dry)/brake levers. The clutch lever that I'm looking to buy says it doesn't come with clutch switch. I understand the purpose of a clutch switch, just need imput on what I should do. I've read forums and have asked other riders. Some have rigged the wires saying they don't need the switch. I read a forum saying that it reduced the hp when he did that. I've been told that I can just switch out the levers and everything will be find because there is already a cable. What should I do? What levers do you prefer and any other info would be great. What should I do? :notsure:

Renodezrat

Honey Badger;228287 wrote: I'm a new rider with very little motorcycle knowledge trying to get ready for the track. I've been looking to switch out my clutch(dry)/brake levers. The clutch lever that I'm looking to buy says it doesn't come with clutch switch. I understand the purpose of a clutch switch, just need imput on what I should do. I've read forums and have asked other riders. Some have rigged the wires saying they don't need the switch. I read a forum saying that it reduced the hp when he did that. I've been told that I can just switch out the levers and everything will be find because there is already a cable. What should I do? What levers do you prefer and any other info would be great. What should I do? :notsure:
Just go and ride and have fun. You are way over thinking

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Can you purchase just a clutch lever that attaches to the stock perch, therefore retaining the clutch switch? That's what I did on my 929 and my gsxr600, using CRG and Pazzo levers.

With my '07 gixxer , the clutch switch must be retained. I removed everthing else but left that wiring intact. I don't know if that's the case for the R6, but there's plenty of folks on this forum with them, so someone should chime in soon.

And, yeah, there's something to be said for the above post, too. You're new, you really don't have to change any of that stuff at this point...I like the aftermarket levers because I have smaller hands than the guys and the aftermarket ones are adjustable...

Ruhe52

06 R6 in your sig forget the switch just jumper it as I means nothing. You'll start it in gear once perhaps drop it and then never do it again. If a Gixer totally different situation on models after 05 I believe although the topic has been hotly debated on other sights.

emry

Most Yamaha model ECU's (even the crusier twins, and sport atv's) monitor the clutch switch. This is used at higher engine rpm's to allow the throttle plates to stay open to reduce engine braking. Eliminating the clutch switch in some cases can cause some very odd, idle / stalling issues. Get an aftermarket lever, keep the stock perch. 06-07 had more noticable low rpm effects than the 08+ models for the R6 series. Won't effect HP.

dbakerpa

I agree with Ms Judy. There are some nice shorty levers that wil work on the stock perch. Besides -I thought honey badger didnt give a shit?

Matt

i didn't think the r6 had a clutch switch.. if it does, keep it functioning.

on a suzuki, the ecu pulls a bit of power if the clutch switch is bypassed because it thinks the clutch is always pulled... yamaha might do the same thing.

and agreed.. why do you give a shit! ride it!

bigkaley

Control Rider
One more opinion.... do you still use the side stand/ kickstand? If you do, it's very important to keep the clutch switch working... I've chased down riders leaving pit out with their kickstand down because they didn't have the clutch switch working.... luckily the first couple turns were rights...
Now during Tech Inspection, if a rider has a kick stand on the bike, I make him show me that the clutch switch is operational and the bike shuts off with the kickstand down and the bike is shifted into gear.

And according to the microfiche, the R6 does have a clutch lever switch. There are plenty of quality replacement levers that will use the OEM clutch perch with the switch.