Cold/Hot Tire Pressures for Michelin Pilot Power 2CT

LateOnTheBrakes

Anyone know the recommended track pressures for the pilot power 2CTs? Trying to get an answer from michelin or the dealer is like pulling teeth.

BigBird

29F/26R seems to be the answer....Someone from a higher group told me this and it has been working well for me

Sklossmonster

I'm not a Michelin rider, but in the past the pressure I've run and recommended for riders on the Pilot Powers is more like 30-32 in the front, and 30-34 in the rear.

Lower pressures for colder conditions, higher pressures for hotter conditions.

Maybe a Michelin rider can chime in with their experience.

Slowninja

I think i'm going to run these next year so this interests me as well. 26 rear sounds a little low to me, idk though.

sobottka

from my michelin race tire distributer= 33F/28-30R cold. michelins are not so pressure sensitive (hence the 3 psi spread on the rear) I'd run the rear @ 28 for maximum grip

Mikey75702

Im running 32psi front and 30psi rear....Thinking of dropping the rear to about 28ish. Sticks like glue but the rear tires is running a little cooler then the front

BigBird

BigBird;88290 wrote: 29F/26R seems to be the answer....Someone from a higher group told me this and it has been working well for me
these are cold readings and my tires look like they are still new after about 4 track days...but maybe bc i am still a B group rider, but they work better than when i had 32/30, but again everyone is different...

i did hear with the regular pilot powers, they usually use a higher pressure than the 2cts, more like what Marshall said is recommended for the non-2CTs

sobottka

the 2ct is a different compound but the same construction as the pilot power and will use the same pressures

pajixxer

Brad Burns
Control Rider
i wouldn't run less then 28 in the rear on that particular tire. i personally run 31F/29R cold.

Motorace

JeremyGSU;99836 wrote: This thread is like most that I've read about these tires in that everyone gives you a different answer.
I thought this was a great article discussing this topic. I'm trying 35/35 cold next time I hit the track.

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=145272
Too high.

A good base cold set-up at Loudon is 30F and 28R set cold. This is Power and Power 2CT. I imagine the new Pilot Pure will be the same.

sobottka

JeremyGSU;99836 wrote: This thread is like most that I've read about these tires in that everyone gives you a different answer.
I thought this was a great article discussing this topic. I'm trying 35/35 cold next time I hit the track.

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=145272
you get different answers when you ask (from people who dont know, or think they do) on the net ..... 35/35 is street pressures (your front would be close to 40 hot, ouch!!!!!). in this thread you have a couple good answers including info from a track side michelin race tire distributer (provided bt me ;) ). disregard it at your own risk

Motorace

You begin to sacrifice "feel" with higher pressures. The Power's casing is very supple. You can almost mount it bare handed. It will feel very stiff and not want to warm up with these higher pressures.

And, as you get a pressure rise as the casing heats up, the feel of the tire gets even worse.

BLARNEY

35 35 is too high and asking for traction issues.

Anything under ~ 27 is too low and asking for flabby-feeling overheating tires.

30f 29r all dayyy loooong.

This per the Michelin reps at Freddie Spencer and 4 sets experience as a CR.

Tom

I love the search function. Search and ye shall receive. 30/29 for me, unless it matters what bike it's on. Same pressures on a 2008 CBR 1000rr mid-pack beginner?