Coming from 4-wheels to 2!

launchforwards

Hi guys, I'm trying to get into track days this year on a bike (trying to get all my gear together and a good track bike). I used to do track days and a few time trials in a car a few years ago, but I'm aware that it's a whole different animal on a bike. Not to mention I am a new rider. Actually, that's my first question...I've only been riding on the street regularly for a month (on and off for 3 years). I'm comfortable with threshold braking with rev-matching and putting a knee down...in a huge parking lot, but obviously at track speeds this is completely different. The last thing I want is to be a danger to others because I'm not experienced enough.

My big concern is track safety regarding other riders' abilities. I know when I was running track days in cars, sometimes the beginner drivers would go hot-shot race mode and do something crazy (I know even I did it once or twice starting off). The reason I'm posting here is because someone told me that NESBA has very solid and structured riding groups that evaluate skill levels very well. I want to ease into it, so I was glad to see they had a small intro riding group as well.

My second concern is gear. I have a two-piece suit that zips up that I use for the street, but is it better off if I just get a one piece? Or is it not really that big of a deal for a beginner? I've already invested in a good helmet, gloves, and boots, and I will probably have a chest/back protector before my first track day.

My last question is...what's a good track bike? I know a lot of people recommend the SV650 (I just sold my street SV650), but are there better or slower alternatives? Or will I be okay? I don't care too much about straight-line acceleration quite yet. As I would like to focus on braking points (which would change with different speed bikes) and general lines.

Oh, any other good reading material/resources? I've already gone through the Twist of the Wrist series, and a few other written works.

Thanks in advance! and I hope to get out there ASAP.

Meat

Because nesba has such solid run groups, there will be CR's to help you learn to ride safely and proficiently. The speed differential really isn't a big deal, within reason. What is paramount is your ability to hold a consistent and predictable line. Obviously in Beginner group, there isn't the same consistency as the Intermediate and Advanced groups and that is why Beginner riders are in Beginner group. I think your concern about being a traffic hazard is a good sign that you want to learn proper riding techniques for your safety and the safety of your fellow riders....and learn to be speedy while you are at it.

I started on and am still on a 600 sportbike. I do think I would have learned more starting out on an SV650. Plus the SV is cheap! :)

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome! Does your suit have a full circumference zipper? If so, it's fine. If it only has the short 8 inch or so zipper only going across the back, that's unacceptable.

Your SV650 would have been a good bike. Don't get anything larger than a 600.

As far as your riding....if operation of all controls is second nature, and you're comfortable at highway speeds, you're fine for B group. Focus on proper technique, work with the control riders, work on being smooth. Speed will come later and be a by-product of good technique. Don't worry about what's behind you, never turn around and look back (except when pitting-out, they'll go over that).

Be prepared to have fun!

launchforwards

Hmmm, I'll definitely try to find myself a second gen SV650 trackbike then. And yeah, the zipper is a full circumference, about 30 inches or so. Thanks for the advice. I think I'll get out to the track ASAP!

Does NESBA run Shenandoah at Summit or just Main and Jefferson? I can see the Karusselll being iffy for sportbikes.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Just Main and Jefferson. NESBA doesn't think Shenandoah is safe for motorcycles, so they don't run it.

Your gloves are gauntlets that come up over the wrist? Shorties not allowed, but that should kinda be obvious. Well, maybe not.:)

launchforwards

HondaGalToo;251758 wrote: Just Main and Jefferson. NESBA doesn't think Shenandoah is safe for motorcycles, so they don't run it.

Your gloves are gauntlets that come up over the wrist? Shorties not allowed, but that should kinda be obvious. Well, maybe not.:)
Yeah, I can definitely understand why NESBA wouldn't run Shenny for bikes...I've seen a ton of EVOs shoot out from the bowl entering too hot and on the inside.

I have the Held Phantoms, although I might get a few more pairs down the road.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Helds are awesome gloves! I've used them almost exclusively for over 15 years. I just picked up a set of Phantoms last year to replace some Galaxys that have to be 10 years old. They still look fine, but I'll use them on the street now. Tried the Knox Handroid, too, I really like the boa lacing system. Still prefer the Helds.

launchforwards

I heard the Handroid seams explode or something on high speed lowsides! Yeah, I did a lot of research on gear. I bought two pairs of the Titans for my dad and friend, and I'll probably upgrade to those when my Phantoms get worn out. I'm curious about the Dainese Full Metals (they are on sale right now in the red/black), but I heard quality control is so-so. I think I'll probably stick with Held for gloves for years to come.

dbarufaldi

Also, you mentioned the back protector as a maybe...pretty sure it's required, but even if it isn't for beginner (check the manual, which is downloadable), I would not ride without one.

Welcome to NESBA and the track. Never mind the speed, fear the addiction!!!

Dan B

launchforwards

dbarufaldi;251863 wrote: Also, you mentioned the back protector as a maybe...pretty sure it's required, but even if it isn't for beginner (check the manual, which is downloadable), I would not ride without one.

Welcome to NESBA and the track. Never mind the speed, fear the addiction!!!

Dan B
Thanks Dan, I'll make sure I have it before the track. I have a Forcefield Harness Flite on order, but it's taking forever to get here. I will definitely check the manual out!

I'm well aware of the addiction! But the consumables are cost so much less than car track days, so I fear it will be even worse!

dlockhart5x

Welcome to sillyness. A SV can take you from B to darn fast expert racer if you want it too , and all for a a fraction the price of a I4 600 or other big bike. I think my brother used 2 sets of tires most of our seasons with NESBA and that was doing 14- 18 days a year, going from B to A and now the old slow guy is leading the Expert points in LWT classes in the WERA north central region. Still using only 2-3 sets of pirelli slicks a season.

ps the soft carcass design of pirellis work great on LWT bikes.

launchforwards

JerryC;251913 wrote: Welcome!Thanks!

dlockhart5x;251970 wrote: Welcome to sillyness. A SV can take you from B
to darn fast expert racer if you want it too , and all for a a fraction the price of a I4 600 or other big bike. I think my brother used 2 sets of tires most of our seasons with NESBA and that was doing 14- 18 days a year, going from B to A and now the old slow guy is leading the Expert points in LWT classes in the WERA north central region. Still using only 2-3 sets of pirelli slicks a season.

ps the soft carcass design of pirellis work great on LWT bikes.
Good to hear! I just found a second gen SV that I plan on keeping long term, and this just convinces me more that it's a good choice. Got a question though, one of the previous owners put a ZX-10 rear shock in. Any comments on that? Should I just keep it or swap it out for stock? I'm a super-lightweight at 135 with full gear, and I heard the ZX-10 setup was more ideal for guys in the 190 range. Also, do you know if there will be any noticeable imbalance with the disparity(?) in the valving between front and rear? Thanks!

dlockhart5x

launchforwards;251990 wrote: Thanks!

Good to hear! I just found a second gen SV that I plan on keeping long term, and this just convinces me more that it's a good choice. Got a question though, one of the previous owners put a ZX-10 rear shock in. Any comments on that? Should I just keep it or swap it out for stock? I'm a super-lightweight at 135 with full gear, and I heard the ZX-10 setup was more ideal for guys in the 190 range. Also, do you know if there will be any noticeable imbalance with the disparity(?) in the valving between front and rear? Thanks!
The SV has a long well developed race history. If you search here and on the wera bbs and other SV sites you will find all the info you can handle.
I'll get you started.
1) Get a penske twin clicker, spung and valved for you.
2) A set of emulators in the forks with the right springs and oil.
3) Ride the snot out of it.

If when you have $$ to drop some traxxion AK 20s are nice, but folks are flying darn fast on the basic stuff.

Ducati Pete

launchforwards;251757 wrote: And yeah, the zipper is a full circumference, about 30 inches or so. Thanks for the advice. I think I'll get out to the track ASAP!

Damn..... a 30" zipper!!!!! ............... I think mine is like 46". LOL Welcome to Track Crack Central. You can get your track crack fix at every corner of every race track in the country. Track Crack abounds. Simply come getcha some!!!

From one new track biker to another...................Welcome to NESBA......... See you at the track.

Pete

launchforwards

dlockhart5x;252006 wrote: The SV has a long well developed race history. If you search here and on the wera bbs and other SV sites you will find all the info you can handle.
I'll get you started.
1) Get a penske twin clicker, spung and valved for you.
2) A set of emulators in the forks with the right springs and oil.
3) Ride the snot out of it.

If when you have $$ to drop some traxxion AK 20s are nice, but folks are flying darn fast on the basic stuff.
I'll probably upgrade my suspension next season, unless it's better if I upgrade right away? Are the Traxxions comparable to Ohlins? I remember that's what all the car guys used along with Motons. Traxxion seems to offered revalved Penskes too.

I did some reading on emulators and I guess even the faster more experienced guys get comparable times (don't worry, I won't be timing myself or even focusing on it right now) on them vs. the full cartridge forks?

I'll definitely look into the Penskes! If my budget allows, I'll probably get everything set up for my first td.

Any tires or brake pad recommendations?

Ducati Pete;252041 wrote:
Damn..... a 30" zipper!!!!! ............... I think mine is like 46". LOL Welcome to Track Crack Central. You can get your track crack fix at every corner of every race track in the country. Track Crack abounds. Simply come getcha some!!!

From one new track biker to another...................Welcome to NESBA......... See you at the track.

Pete
Thanks! Being this thin is not a good thing...it's impossible to find gear that fits snug. I'll see you out there!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Another good book is Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch. Also, he and Ken Hill are the lead instructors for the Yamaha Champions Riding School, and they have started a very informative website: fastersafer.com. It's subscription, but it's worth the price. Check it out. (I have no affiliation, I've taken their school and these guys know how to teach you to become a better rider!)

I'd think any of the 20 mm kits, whether Traxxion, Penske, or Ohlins, would be comparable? I don't know anything about the emulators, but an awful lot of SV folks seem to recommend them. I don't know where you're located, but Markbilt has a shop by NJMP and could get the suspension sorted for you.

We were recently discussing tire choices in this thread: http://tracktalk.nesba.com/showthread.php?t=25569&page=2

Any of the new hypersport street tires will serve you well.

launchforwards

HondaGalToo;252050 wrote: Another good book is Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch. Also, he and Ken Hill are the lead instructors for the Yamaha Champions Riding School, and they have started a very informative website: fastersafer.com. It's subscription, but it's worth the price. Check it out. (I have no affiliation, I've taken their school and these guys know how to teach you to become a better rider!)

I'd think any of the 20 mm kits, whether Traxxion, Penske, or Ohlins, would be comparable? I don't know anything about the emulators, but an awful lot of SV folks seem to recommend them. I don't know where you're located, but Markbilt has a shop by NJMP and could get the suspension sorted for you.

We were recently discussing tire choices in this thread: http://tracktalk.nesba.com/showthread.php?t=25569&page=2

Any of the new hypersport street tires will serve you well.
Excellent, I'll check the book and site out. I think I'll go with the Traxxion Penskes for now, then upgrade as I get more experience. I want to try out NJMP, but I'm in VA, so I need to find a local suspension guy more around Summit for now.

I guess I'll check out Pirellis and Q2s...I guess there's a lot of options. Lots of good info on Ducati_Pete's thread too!

Shenanigans;252063 wrote: Check out the JRI shocks too. jrishocks.com They are bada$$
Sounds like JRZ shocks haha. I'll definitely check JRI out, their electronic system indeed sounds nice...

vinny337;252093 wrote:
Welcome to NESBA!
Thanks!