Condition of Summit Main??

sooperman12

I don't know why this is still an issue. You pay to do a track day at Summit, you know what you're in for. If you don't like it, then don't go. Nothing will ever happen to Summit so long as people keep going there. NESBA, TPM, etc. all continue to run there. Racing still goes on there. What's the motivation for Summit to repave when people keep going? None. As far as Summit is concerned, they're laughing all the way to the bank. What do you call overcharging people for an consistently inferior product? Monopoly. Only in America.

NoBull

Summit DID repave a couple of years ago. A couple of times even cause the vendor couldn't get it right but it's still crap. It's not for lack of trying though so as far as the monopoly and laughing all the way to the bank, you're way off.

alphamale

sooperman12;91840 wrote: I don't know why this is still an issue. You pay to do a track day at Summit, you know what you're in for.
I don't think anybody ever "knows" what they are in for until you've made it around at least once. That track is constantly changing. It's almost like a motocross track.

justariot66

I have not been to Summit yet so I cannot comment, but how is it they cant repave the track to a certain acceptable standard? I mean lets sat the track in Jersey is real nice and smooth or the VIR tracks are not too bad why cant they use those guys?

kawlreaper

Ugh....

I am NO WAY a pro. Im just a poor 'ol Irish Puerto Rican stuck in the intermediate group doing some trackdays...

Bottom line - Is Summit rough? YUP. It is and it always will be. Its still a FUN track. Did I go as soon as it was repaved? HELLZ YEAH! And it was AWESOME. Can you go three deep anymore into turn on? eh - don't suggest it. Like everyone has said here before. You have to learn the lines. People are going REAL FAST and breaking records here. This comment is more for the beginners - USE AND ABUSE YOUR CONTROL RIDERS! This track MAKES you do that! Theres a couple of rough spots - I take 5 on the INSIDE and some take it on the outside.

My suggestion - GO AND DETERMINE IT FOR YOURSELF.

DCSportbikes.Net

adamsys

justariot66;92038 wrote: I have not been to Summit yet so I cannot comment, but how is it they cant repave the track to a certain acceptable standard?
One of life's most profound mysteries. Its still really fun, though.

barry38

Summit Main is kinda like that hot girl you dated in high school, and when you see her at your 30th reunion (yeah, I'm that old) you think, yeah she's not what she once was, but would still be worth a good romp. :cool:

LesPow

Control Rider
Me too, but I still wish they could get it right, it would be my favorite. You know what we should set up a fund and purchase this track ina couple of years, make it the Nesba Track.

kawlreaper

It is a fun fun track..We can yell, "WHY WHY WHY!" all day long and it is still going to be what it is. I like Main a lot...So it comes down to this..

Will I go there? - YUP
Am I going to be "worried?" - Nope...

Im just going there to have fun..

geckert

Rasta;92139 wrote: You know what we should set up a fund and purchase this track ina couple of years, make it the Nesba Track.
How much could it cost? 11-12 million.. Ill throw in $3 for a chunk of T10.

sooperman12

Honestly, a co-op would be a good idea for a track and if you could put it in the same area as Summit, you'll force them to do something about their sub-par product. But wishful thinking as it were...

Buckwild

I have mixed emotions since I buried a good friend and watched another bounce off the tire wall in t3 and become quadraplegic . I've run track days, and raced in the worst possible conditions there. 'Slippery Point' was a track with character even with the concrete strips. (which was the best IMHO) I've seen it re-paved twice and the wall blasted back to make it safer.

While not on my list of favorites, I'd probably run it again if I had to. Since relocating to the south, I have ready access to the best tracks for a longer season. Summit is what it is. You either love it or hate it.

alphamale

barry38;92105 wrote: Summit Main is kinda like that hot girl you dated in high school, and when you see her at your 30th reunion (yeah, I'm that old) you think, yeah she's not what she once was, but would still be worth a good romp. :cool:
I skipped my ten year reunion because they were all fat and married with kids.

FaceRace98

I heard a rumor that summit would be re-paved again this off-season... Don't know how valid it is but it would be great to see them learn from their previos mistakes and do it right this time. I can't imagine them leaving it as-is because by the middle of next season it would be unridable.

alphamale

Anybody willing to put a wager on it? If they do, you win some cash, and I get an awesome new home track, and if they don't, at least I get some constellation prize.

sooperman12

When? Their schedule goes well into November and gets used frequently even when sportbikes aren't running around it. The problem wasn't so much that it wasn't repaved correctly (although, some professional track paving contractors saw some photos of the equipment said it was doomed from the very beginning of paving) it was that they didn't allow enough time for the track to cure before they ran their first event and even worse, their first CAR event. So, even if they DO repave it, it's unlikely that the track owners will shut the track down long enough to allow the new surface to cure properly. Like I said, they're laughing all the way to the bank... they like that people are on the track, not off it.