Conditioner/cleaner for Leathers

BadgerDog

After a recent hot track day, I noticed some "salt marks" on the outside of my black leathers indicating that sweat had pretty much permeated the leather. Can anyone recommend a cleaner/treatment that would keep them intact and supple?

Thanks for any suggestions, getting prepped for NC Bike in 10 days!

Kruizen

Control Rider
People will probably disagree with me, but I throw mine into a big front load washer a couple of times a year with a very mild detergent. This will not only clean the outside salt but the insides as wel.

Then use the equivalent of a hang dry fan out side until they are dry, out of direct sunlight.

Then lexol leather conditioner thema couple of times.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
What Kruizen said, and what Barnacle Bill recommends. I, and many others, do the same. Remove all armor, turn the suit inside out, throw in front end loader with some mild detergent and about a cup of white vinegar. I lay it flat to dry, as wet leathers may stretch if hung. Turn it right side out to dry, and start conditioning before fully dry, then another time when dry. I use Lexol. Barnacle Bill recommends any lanolin based hand cream. Just cleaning the outside won't remove the sweat, which will break down the leathers over time.

Wash gloves by placing in a sink and washing with mild soap. Air dry, condition.

Kurt_Orban

People will probably disagree with me, but I throw mine into a big front load washer a couple of times a year with a very mild detergent. This will not only clean the outside salt but the insides as wel.

Then use the equivalent of a hang dry fan out side until they are dry, out of direct sunlight.

Then lexol leather conditioner thema couple of times.
This is exactly what I do and they are brand new when I'm done. I'll only say that the best mix is Woolite and dump some lemon ammonia in there. I doint hang them because they stretch, but may it on a bare ironing board. I put Lexol in a spraymaster bottle and cut it with water so it can be sprayed like Windex on the leather. Do this once after stamping the excess water out with a towel and then 1 hour after, and 4 hours, then a day after. The trick is to do it while it's wet. I took a nasty old vintage Vanson track suit and it was brand new when I was done.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Kurt_Orban

BTW the way I do it is exactly how Vanson does it when you send it in for cleaning. Only difference is they have an industrial dehumidifier room.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BadgerDog

Thanks for weighing in. Bought the Lexol and sprayed some on as a band aid measure. I had a track day last weekend, have one this weekend and finishing up my season with a 2 T day weekend next week, so I'll tackle this once I have a clear calendar.

Kruizen

Control Rider
Yeah,I don't hang them, meant use that type of fan, but I use metal hangers to open up the arms/legs and put the fan in the neck and run air thru it.

Lexol when wet and then again when dry.