Considering a Ricing Course - thoughts?

1-3-2-4

So, I'm looking to advance my skills some more and take a track course. A very brief overview of my riding resume:

1. Started riding on the street about 9 years ago in 2006
2. First went to a track day within the first year (2007). Only managed to do 3 track days over the next two years due to funds and where I was living.
3. Commute daily, a few sport touring trips a year. Only managed to do another track day in 2010.
4. Fast forward, I finally committed the time and resources to get back to the track last year after a 4 year hiatus. It was like starting fresh, but I managed to squeeze in 12 days last season.

My skills progressed well (or at least, I'm happy) last season. Started off rusty in novice and moved may way up into intermediate with both N2 and TPM. Running one group up with Absolute wasn't an issue...

Although I do most of my track days with TPM (they run Pocono, about 35 minutes from me), I did 4 days with N2 last year and received good feedback on YCRS - even spoke with Kyle Wyman at NJMP. It's pricey as hell, but I'd like to advance my skills. My short term goal is to move into advanced group; long term is to do some club racing.

The question remains...YCRS? California Superbike? Penguin? Something else? Or nothing at all (i.e. do I need more track time to make the large investment worth it)? I've taken Lee Parks' Total Control Level 1 a few years back, and although it wasn't a track school, I left a bit underwhelmed. Good material, but I was already there on most of the topics.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
YCRS hands down. If you can't swing 2 days, they are also offering some 1 day clinics. Check out the schedule :
www.ridelikeachampion.com

I think taking a good school offers many benefits that track time alone cannot. Practice makes permanent, not perfect, so it's best to learn the proper techniques to ensure you are getting the most improvement going forward.

Last edited:

1-3-2-4

I can't seem to find the quote button, but this is exactly what has me thinking in the first place "Practice makes permanent, not perfect, so it's best to learn the proper techniques to ensure you are getting the most improvement going forward."

I'd like to eradicate any bad habits before they become a permanent part of my riding style. I can swing a two day school, but obviously, it's expensive. It will also take a way from my track time this year, but I'm willing to make the investment if there is a good return.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Dude. YCRS by a long long way. It's an investment in your riding. I took it 5 years ago and can't even imagine what it was like beforehand. It sucks money-wise, but trying to justify the price isn't gonna happen. Just pull the trigger, do the school, amd wonder how you went so long without it.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Agreed. I'd been riding track for many years and taken more than a few other schools. They had good info, but they didn't change my riding the way YCRS did.

1-3-2-4

I'm happy you guys knew what i meant by RICING schools;)

I'm happy to hear such positive feedback on the YCRS. It's local to me at NJMP, so that's a bonus. Have any of you taken Code's 2-day class and can compare? I've read his books, but have never seen his course curriculum.

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
Defintiely YCRS!! Excellent coaching, consistent messaging. They focus on keeping the sport simple and building on fundementals. Well worth the investment.

raylee

I took the YCRS clinic so I can't speak much for the 2-day full course, but it was a totally different feeling from the normal instruction I had gotten used to. I've tried 1 on 1 lessons and the like at various track days, but there's nothing like having coaches sitting at the apex of a corner scrutinizing your fork compression to give you direct feedback on your braking ability. They also do a good job of teaching you a bit of "outside the box" thinking when it comes to cornering techniques and ways of looking at a track.

All that being said, both schools (YCRS and CSS) have bred champions and I've heard great things from friends who have taken both. Take a look at Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch. The book focuses on bringing track skills to increase street riding safety, but it is a good overview (even if it's not 100% word for word in-line) of the YCRS curriculum and it's chock full of beautiful photos as a bonus.

1-3-2-4

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I bit the bullet and registered for the 2-day YCRS school at NJMP in May. Looking forward to seeing how much I suck. But most importantly, improving...

Lenny ZX9R

Control Rider
Defintiely YCRS!! Excellent coaching, consistent messaging. They focus on keeping the sport simple and building on fundementals. Well worth the investment.
What AJ said!

I'm going May 5-6! I took a clinic last year and learned alot! The full school is going to be fun! Just one simple technique dropped almost 3 seconds a lap at Thunderbolt! Now if I can master the rest of it! LOL!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I bit the bullet and registered for the 2-day YCRS school at NJMP in May. Looking forward to seeing how much I suck. But most importantly, improving...
Awesome! Congrats on making the commitment to do the one most single thing to help your improvement as a rider!! You'll come away from the school changed, it will be the best two days of instruction!!

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
I believe $cott Russell is going to be there.

Cannot say enough good things about him. Genuine guy all around. As approachable as anyone you'd ever meet. AJ and I took the school in like 2011. We ended up having dinner at Long Horn and $cott walked in. He was happy to sit with us and shoot the breeze.

We both left thinking, "Did that just happen?" Was so cool!

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
My biggest recommendation would be to go with Wild Rice. Sticky Rice does have some great qualities...good with Asian foods, different texture, etc. However, it can be very difficult to keep in sticky form without becoming mush. Plain white rice will not teach you much and is very bland. If you are looking for a healthier option, brown rice may be your answer, but it is just one step above white rice.

If you are looking for an adventure...may want to look into cous cous.

Good luck!

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
My biggest recommendation would be to go with Wild Rice. Sticky Rice does have some great qualities...good with Asian foods, different texture, etc. However, it can be very difficult to keep in sticky form without becoming mush. Plain white rice will not teach you much and is very bland. If you are looking for a healthier option, brown rice may be your answer, but it is just one step above white rice.

If you are looking for an adventure...may want to look into cous cous.

Good luck!
Oh the Lemon is Back!!!!!!!

Slow Steve

I hate pushups.
Control Rider
http://www.chefscatalog.com/product...=61522569124&gclid=CLihpaDn-MQCFUokgQoduLkAdQ
This is my favorite ricer. It has interchangeable screens.:)
touchzoom_view_1_1324x1140.jpg